Deaf Values

BecLak

Reaction score
Wirelessly posted

Our values are at the very core of what constitutes who we are as a person. They are what we place the most importance on and what we teach our children and our children's children.

Putting our religious values aside for a moment - what values as a Deafie do you hold as most important?

That I am every bit as important, valuable, and worthwhile as someone who can hear.

May I, as a hearie, reply. There are Deaf values that are very important to me and that are an integral part of my life.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
May I, as a hearie, reply. There are Deaf values that are very important to me and that are an integral part of my life.

Of course, Jillio, sorry - forget you are a hearie sometimes :giggle:

:ty: I always ask to make sure no one minds.:P

One of the values that has been ever so important to me is the Deaf community's willingness to get involved in the lives of Deaf children. Never before have I experienced a culture where the members are willing to take on the life of a deaf child as if that child were a blood relative. That willingness was a life saver for me and my son.

Another value that I find important, and one I have taken on as my own, is the belief that individual value is intrinsic, not extrinsic. It does not matter what is on the outside of a deaf individual. It matters what is on the inside. That is where true value resides. The Deaf embrace this concept more than most.

Intrinsic value comes from the thought of ultimate purpose of life-philosophical/theological.
Much thoughts have been expressed since the beginning of time-delineating this which appears to predate the "current deaf community" by a "few centuries".

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Intrinsic value comes from the thought of ultimate purpose of life-philosophical/theological.
Much thoughts have been expressed since the beginning of time-delineating this which appears to predate the "current deaf community" by a "few centuries".

Wow, you must be a really deep thinker if your thoughts predate the deaf community by a few centuries. How old are you anyway?

My age as such doesn't enter the picture-just reasoning.
Is anyone claiming Longevity for the current "deaf community"? Centuries old-now?

Implant A B Harmony activated Aug/07

My age as such doesn't enter the picture-just reasoning.
Is anyone claiming Longevity for the current "deaf community"? Centuries old-now?

Implant A B Harmony activated Aug/07

apparently you have made this claim. Do you deny your age???

Cheetah, why are you bugging drphil about his age? He just said that philosophers have been debating the meaning and purpose of life "since the beginning of time." Obviously not that he, individually, has done so.

Cheetah, why are you bugging drphil about his age? He just said that philosphers have been debating the meaning and purpose of life "since the beginning of time." Obviously not that he, individually, has done so.

I do apologize, I was only teasing. I didn't think he would take offense.

Cheetah, why are you bugging drphil about his age? He just said that philosphers have been debating the meaning and purpose of life "since the beginning of time." Obviously not that he, individually, has done so.

interesting pattern.

The ceiling cat?

sallylou-albums-profile-picture5165-ceilingcat.jpg

Bottesini: Bring your herd of hounds to help and request a 6 hour tea/coffee break.
Good luck!

Back