Deaf Unemployment Rate @ 72.5%...!!!

<partial quote from post #76> "....ASL will be obsolete thanks to technology." <unquote>

.....which would be a great loss...loss of both people and culture....

do you even know how demeaning you seem?

I have been in 7 interviews, none called back. I guess employers prefer other kinds of disabilities to hearing loss. Communication is a must and poor verbal skills seem to annul all other achievements of a job candidate. Some deaf friends fill IT and on-line positions (working like 10 hours a day in front of a screen), but I do not find it a good idea to harm your sight when your hearing is already damaged.

What if Deaf people were the hottest new trend? The whole "OMG ASL" effect times two or five? Then people would be whipping us up into jobs right quick.

I have been in 7 interviews, none called back. I guess employers prefer other kinds of disabilities to hearing loss. Communication is a must and poor verbal skills seem to annul all other achievements of a job candidate. Some deaf friends fill IT and on-line positions (working like 10 hours a day in front of a screen), but I do not find it a good idea to harm your sight when your hearing is already damaged.

I'm having this issue at work now. I work in an IT position and I told them I am HoH. Every time I go to training there is an assumption that I'm not paying attention when I'm working 2x as hard to get the same information. This is the second write-up that I got saying that it appears that I'm not paying attention. The lady actually talked to me about it and I explained to her exactly what she said but she still complained to her boss about it and her boss talked to me about not taking notes which was another thing she noticed I didn't do. Unless she wants me to question her on everything she said ... it's for the best that I don't take notes and why should I take notes on slides. She read the slides and couldn't even explain them. I was also late, but that was actually my fault.

I think the issue in the deaf community has to do with how we are viewed especially if we don't sign. As someone that doesn't use ASL, I'm looked at as normal because I can hold a regular convo if the planets align and it's a quiet environment. I feel like my boss doesn't understand how I manage to be fine sometimes and struggle other times.

I think there needs to be way more advocacy when it comes to deaf people because people really think that wearing a hearing aid is a cure. A hearing aid amplifies but doesn't improve speech discrimination. My issue is both but speech discrimination is a huge issue for me because everyone loves to pick the noisy areas to have a convo.

What if Deaf people were the hottest new trend? The whole "OMG ASL" effect times two or five? Then people would be whipping us up into jobs right quick.

Maybe it's me but I don't think ASL is easy to learn. I think once people realize how many different words and slang goes into ASL ... they give up because unless you have a reason to use it why learn.

Maybe it's me but I don't think ASL is easy to learn. I think once people realize how many different words and slang goes into ASL ... they give up because unless you have a reason to use it why learn.

Curious... can you elaborate on this thought please?

I'm having this issue at work now. I work in an IT position and I told them I am HoH. Every time I go to training there is an assumption that I'm not paying attention when I'm working 2x as hard to get the same information. This is the second write-up that I got saying that it appears that I'm not paying attention. The lady actually talked to me about it and I explained to her exactly what she said but she still complained to her boss about it and her boss talked to me about not taking notes which was another thing she noticed I didn't do. Unless she wants me to question her on everything she said ... it's for the best that I don't take notes and why should I take notes on slides. She read the slides and couldn't even explain them. I was also late, but that was actually my fault.

I think the issue in the deaf community has to do with how we are viewed especially if we don't sign. As someone that doesn't use ASL, I'm looked at as normal because I can hold a regular convo if the planets align and it's a quiet environment. I feel like my boss doesn't understand how I manage to be fine sometimes and struggle other times.

I think there needs to be way more advocacy when it comes to deaf people because people really think that wearing a hearing aid is a cure. A hearing aid amplifies but doesn't improve speech discrimination. My issue is both but speech discrimination is a huge issue for me because everyone loves to pick the noisy areas to have a convo.

I have spent 40k in US education and the only thing I hope now is to disappear from here and find a cheap place, cause being underemployed or doing jobs for 10$ an hour in NY is considered a kind of punishment... you will have to share your apartment or hold two jobs (and, definitely, you should never marry).

I have spent 40k in US education and the only thing I hope now is to disappear from here and find a cheap place, cause being underemployed or doing jobs for 10$ an hour in NY is considered a kind of punishment... you will have to share your apartment or hold two jobs (and, definitely, you should never marry).

Isn't it cheaper to live in Albany? I moved out of NYC for work (I couldn't even rent an apartment with a job). I now live in OKC and make a little less than I make now. But I have my own place. I had a 1 bedroom for 499, but I updated to a up to date studio for 599.

Curious... can you elaborate on this thought please?

I've always had issues learning languages in general, so I may be biased. Like most languages, ASL has a lot of slang and words. Slang is also based on location, so in different states me a sign may mean different things. Unless you are willing to just learn the alphabet and sign every word it can be hard for many to learn the words. Another issue is it's not used very often. Unless you have a lot of friends that use ASL or are a translator where are you using this? I don't have many friends that use ASL, so I would have to find people that know it that are willing to use it with me so I can keep the skill. If I can't that means that I'm not using it which means I'm going to forget it.

I would love to switch to ASL because it would make my life easier, but I can't think of a job that would support someone using ASL full-time no matter how beautiful it looks. It's also insulting to say ASL looks beautiful. It's language. In a way, it's fetishized kinda like French is because sounds so romance.

I've always had issues learning languages in general, so I may be biased. Like most languages, ASL has a lot of slang and words. Slang is also based on location, so in different states me a sign may mean different things. Unless you are willing to just learn the alphabet and sign every word it can be hard for many to learn the words. Another issue is it's not used very often. Unless you have a lot of friends that use ASL or are a translator where are you using this? I don't have many friends that use ASL, so I would have to find people that know it that are willing to use it with me so I can keep the skill. If I can't that means that I'm not using it which means I'm going to forget it.

I would love to switch to ASL because it would make my life easier, but I can't think of a job that would support someone using ASL full-time no matter how beautiful it looks. It's also insulting to say ASL looks beautiful. It's language. In a way, it's fetishized kinda like French is because sounds so romance.
LOL it is good to know I am not the only one that thinks it is a little odd when someone goes on and on about the beauty of ASL... sure the cat screwed the dog kinda flows well and some pretty harsh things in French sounds nice... and nothing in German is romantic or flows well... so while it is odd for me and it seems to you, I can understand where it is done...
It is awesome that you can admit biasness, I have an easy time with languages and do not always truly understand the struggles that others have. But you do not need a lot of friends that sign in order to learn... just one will do if you want one... sometimes friends around you would be willing to lean... thank you for answering me :)

how much ASL have you tried or studied?

regarding work it would make yoru work environment even easier not just on you but those you work with..
few hearies that si few actually enjoy creaming 20 times to themselves in order to try to get your attention or repeat themselves..
few like that sort of thing (you will find the stubborn oen who does and such is life)

once hearies in a work environment start to actually experience how USEFUL ASL is for Deaf and for hearies begin with Deaf.

your and their work environment gets so much more conducive to a team spirit and work ethos...

as for beauty its int he eye of the beholder like anything...

ASL does have allot to share with the world in regards ot human creativity and being, and poetry so on..

dotn sell yourself short

learn ASL
then introduce it to the very people in your life that want to be a meaningful part of it,
just one sign a day....and in three months you have 90 signs, and use them every day start with the home, and those close to you or at work, one signa day with things they and you will be using and doing and build on it...

sign will set you free

how much ASL have you tried or studied?

regarding work it would make yoru work environment even easier not just on you but those you work with..
few hearies that si few actually enjoy creaming 20 times to themselves in order to try to get your attention or repeat themselves..
few like that sort of thing (you will find the stubborn oen who does and such is life)

once hearies in a work environment start to actually experience how USEFUL ASL is for Deaf and for hearies begin with Deaf.

your and their work environment gets so much more conducive to a team spirit and work ethos...

as for beauty its int he eye of the beholder like anything...

ASL does have allot to share with the world in regards ot human creativity and being, and poetry so on..

dotn sell yourself short

learn ASL
then introduce it to the very people in your life that want to be a meaningful part of it,
just one sign a day....and in three months you have 90 signs, and use them every day start with the home, and those close to you or at work, one signa day with things they and you will be using and doing and build on it...

sign will set you free

I tried it in college for a year because I had a friend that lived in the same state that I could sign with. She is fluent but was very patient with me.

It honestly wouldn't really affect my work environment because I travel for work and don't always travel with the same people. If I'm at my home site, it would make life somewhat easier, but not really because my office is so quiet that I don't have many issues understanding people at my home site. Maybe, 1 person, I may not be able to understand, but he is so soft spoken.

I think my mom is losing her hearing to some point, so I would want her to learn so she feels like she can communicate still. Right now she just turns the TV up.

How do you use them everyday? That's what confuses me. Do I randomly sign a letter or word to someone?

Sorry, I didn't mean to target my post at you directly and didn't intend any offense whatsoever. I think you're right, ASL can be challenging just like any other language. Deaf (I use it as an inclusive to let HoH people know that I value and appreciate the enormous gift they are to everyone) people deserve equality in every sense of the word, no matter what language they know.

I'm not hiring now and don't know what you'd be interested in. But if you want, send me a PM on this forum and I'll see what I can do to help. Worst case, I'll keep you on file for when I do have openings or someone lets me know of a lead.

I tried it in college for a year because I had a friend that lived in the same state that I could sign with. She is fluent but was very patient with me.

It honestly wouldn't really affect my work environment because I travel for work and don't always travel with the same people. If I'm at my home site, it would make life somewhat easier, but not really because my office is so quiet that I don't have many issues understanding people at my home site. Maybe, 1 person, I may not be able to understand, but he is so soft spoken.

I think my mom is losing her hearing to some point, so I would want her to learn so she feels like she can communicate still. Right now she just turns the TV up.

How do you use them everyday? That's what confuses me. Do I randomly sign a letter or word to someone?

the work environment was an example and i'm Deaf and been all over that's all over..so i know what is is to travel and i sign to everyone..hearie Deaf..i sign..

a years worth for college in ASL so what 2 courses one per term? or one asl class 101 for the entire academic year?
is that what your trying to state?
no one else int he classes you coudl sign too...(scratch head)
anyway...
as to yoru question.

with another human being..
you just teach them one sign a day, just one, then you use that sign with them form now on...
then tmw its another sign so on so forth..a month gives you 30 signs, 2 motnsh 60, three motnsh 90..so on..
so if your at home as an example with your mother, the house and everything in it, and in you everything of course can be signed so start where you think it will kick off and go from here...
the trick is to use it and keep using it

i dunno
you seem to have allot of excuses as to why not so
so be it...
rather

then why not, how about lets DO..

when yoru traveling around you can spread sign....its perfect...

I'm not hiring now and don't know what you'd be interested in. But if you want, send me a PM on this forum and I'll see what I can do to help. Worst case, I'll keep you on file for when I do have openings or someone lets me know of a lead.

I wasn't offended. I just thought what you said was interesting. I thought that people interest in ASL is short term. When they realize that it's an actual language, the interest sometimes wane.

I work in IT pretty much networking & DNS stuff with a touch of security.

If you're interested working with Homeland Security as an entry-level analyst, they were at the biennial Deaf Nation Expo in Las Vegas recruiting last month. Let me see if I can find that info

I follow you with the ASL wane ... I have thoughts on that for another time.

Do you also have relations with Gally/RIT/CSUN career folks, even if you're not technically an alumnus?

the work environment was an example and i'm Deaf and been all over that's all over..so i know what is is to travel and i sign to everyone..hearie Deaf..i sign..

a years worth for college in ASL so what 2 courses one per term? or one asl class 101 for the entire academic year?
is that what your trying to state?
no one else int he classes you coudl sign too...(scratch head)
anyway...
as to yoru question.

with another human being..
you just teach them one sign a day, just one, then you use that sign with them form now on...
then tmw its another sign so on so forth..a month gives you 30 signs, 2 motnsh 60, three motnsh 90..so on..
so if your at home as an example with your mother, the house and everything in it, and in you everything of course can be signed so start where you think it will kick off and go from here...
the trick is to use it and keep using it

i dunno
you seem to have allot of excuses as to why not so
so be it...
rather

then why not, how about lets DO..

when yoru traveling around you can spread sign....its perfect...

My school didn't teach ASL, so I was learning it on my own with help. My friend that is HoH that using ASL full-time was the one that was helping me learn.

I'll start with one person.

My school didn't teach ASL, so I was learning it on my own with help. My friend that is HoH that using ASL full-time was the one that was helping me learn.

I'll start with one person.

start with yourself....

so your stating you didnt take asl through a year of college it wa just signing with a friend of yours who know ASL?

but you can certainly what ever ASL you do knwo sue and teach to others so they can use it with you, its a process..
so go for it..

but you need to work at it like any language just start using it, in yoru home with everyone..

whats yoru vocab right now?
ball park?

Isn't it cheaper to live in Albany? I moved out of NYC for work (I couldn't even rent an apartment with a job). I now live in OKC and make a little less than I make now. But I have my own place. I had a 1 bedroom for 499, but I updated to a up to date studio for 599.

Only the rent is cheaper, one bedroom apartment 900$. When they make you a janitor, cause that is what deafies are supposed to be good at (in my company we are three deafies, and my two MA degrees did not enable me land another job), 900$ rent sounds very expensive. You will have to work weekends too and forget about your hobbies and creative dreams. Even to find a wife, I guess, is difficult when they pay you 10$ an hour (two pasta dishes, a salad and two soda cost 70$ in a restaurant here.... so no girl should expect to be wined by a janitor here lol).

Back