Deaf UK postman bitten by dog, leads to charges against homeowner

naisho

Forum Disorders M.D.,Ph.D
Reaction score
BBC News - Deaf Fife postman bitten by dog leads to police charge

_65656629_postie.jpg

A man has been charged after a deaf postman was bitten by a dog he was unable to hear barking.

Graham Duff was walking through a garden to deliver letters in Saline, near Dunfermline, when he was bitten in the thigh by a mix-collie.

The shaken Mr Duff has been taken off his delivery round since the attack on 19 January.

A 71-year-old has been charged in relation to a dog dangerously out of control, Fife Constabulary said.

The man has been reported to the procurator fiscal.

Mr Duff, who had to take antibiotics after he was bitten, wrote: "I was frightened and shocked".

He added that he stopped his delivery run because he "didn't feel safe".

'Lack of control'
Garry Haldane, a representative for the Communication Workers Union (CWU) and who has been bitten by dogs 18 times while working as a postman in Fife, has been campaigning for postmen to get better protection from dangerous dogs.

Unfortunately, dog attacks are a hazard faced by our postmen and women every working day - Steve Greaves Royal Mail

"It is a lack of control and understanding and responsibility of the dogs' owners," he told the BBC Scotland news website. "The dog doesn't know it is doing wrong.

"Graham has been working in the sorting office since the attack because he didn't want to go back out on his delivery round. It really shook him up.

"We need action to reduce the risk of this happening to postal workers.

"People who buy dogs need to understand the breed and not allow them to be dominant and make sure they get enough exercise."

Steve Greaves, Royal Mail's safety director north, said: "There are around 4,000 animal attacks a year in the UK on Royal Mail people. These attacks cause great distress and, in too many cases, serious injuries.

"Unfortunately, dog attacks are a hazard faced by our postmen and women every working day.

"Our first priority as an employer is to ensure the welfare and safety of our people, who provide a valuable service to our customers."

He added: "Royal Mail seeks the co-operation of our customers and we encourage the public to take responsibility for keeping their pets under control.

"Royal Mail will actively pursue legal action or support our people in taking legal action against the owners of dangerous dogs."

I don't know what it is like in the U.K, but in the U.S. postal service members have training. In fact, leash laws are relatively new as I did not grow up with them. A deaf person who does that type of job needs to be more aware and vigilant, but that is true for any job a deaf person desires to hold.

It's a sad situation and I hope the guy is OK. However, there is not enough in the article to establish blame. For example, did the carrier know there was a dog or could have he requested a letter box? I can't blame a dog or 71 year old owner for it as it was not premeditated, there are no laws and a postal person is a professional. If he felt he could not deliver the mail, he should have arranged for a letter box.

I don't know what it is like in the U.K, but in the U.S. postal service members have training. In fact, leash laws are relatively new as I did not grow up with them. A deaf person who does that type of job needs to be more aware and vigilant, but that is true for any job a deaf person desires to hold.

It's a sad situation and I hope the guy is OK. However, there is not enough in the article to establish blame. For example, did the carrier know there was a dog or could have he requested a letter box? I can't blame a dog or 71 year old owner for it as it was not premeditated, there are no laws and a postal person is a professional. If he felt he could not deliver the mail, he should have arranged for a letter box.

This sounds like a "dogs will be dogs" post. Pshaw!

Him being Deaf has NOTHING to do with it. I understand that he didn't hear the dog barking but the cold hard fact is... The owner failed to control his dog and someone got bit. Here in Texas, they put the dog down and then fine the owners... sometimes even LOCKING them up.

The dog must have been running loose...and the many postmen that I've had the opportunity to chat with, say they have to deal with dogs all the time. That's one of the worse aspects of their job.....

And I feel if you want your mail to be delivered to ur mailbox...then control ur dog!...If it's a stray dog, then that's another story...that's what postmen have to deal with...and so does the public....

Am thinking that mail carriers do carry pepper spray or mace for such situations as this?....The mail carrier (deaf or not) should have been more aware of his surroundings....Dogs love to chase the mailman :giggle:...and tear up the mail or newspaper.

And feel after an attack like this...the homeowner or owner of the dog should be required to rent out a mailbox and pay for it.

The thought that hit me the most about this article is that the dog will probably be put down. Not because the dog is bad, but because the owner is neglectful. What a tragedy.

The dog must have been running loose...and the many postmen that I've had the opportunity to chat with, say they have to deal with dogs all the time. That's one of the worse aspects of their job.....

And I feel if you want your mail to be delivered to ur mailbox...then control ur dog!...If it's a stray dog, then that's another story...that's what postmen have to deal with...and so does the public....

Am thinking that mail carriers do carry pepper spray or mace for such situations as this?....The mail carrier (deaf or not) should have been more aware of his surroundings....Dogs love to chase the mailman :giggle:...and tear up the mail or newspaper.

And feel after an attack like this...the homeowner or owner of the dog should be required to rent out a mailbox and pay for it.
Yes, they do for protection.

One day I never forget, on lunch break from work, I went to a local bar for a drink and lunch. While I was eating, there was a drunk lady with a dog inside. Then the letter carrier came in to drop the mail, the dog almost attacked him. He quickly threw the mail on the floor and maced the dog. He got out for a while. The dog owner took it to the public restroom and beat it up. The carrier went back inside and yelled at the bartender who looked guilty and left without picking up the mail from the floor. Everybody including me were shocked.

My rottweiler will bark at anyone that steps to front door including mail people. Yeah, some people just don't control their dogs, but I do.

Its too common for both, deaf and hearing peeps. My doberman almost bit PO guy. oopies!

Back