Deaf trade

audiodef

Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in building a system where deaf people do business with each other in ways that do not use the financial systems of the rest of human society? This could mean trade and barter, or even coming up with a new credit system (maybe with a unit with a creative name, such as the Earmark).

Such a system could be face-to-face or online.

Examples:

You fix cars. I grow organic vegetables. My car breaks down and you want fresh veggies. You fix my car in exchange for fresh veggies for an agreed-upon period of time.

I build web sites. You enjoy research. I build and maintain a web site for you, in exchange for research you provide for one of my non-profit online ventures.

As far as a credit system goes, I'm thinking about something like this: a community is formed, in which members state what they are able to provide. You want vegetables now but my car is not in need of repair. You buy vegetables from me, using Earmarks, not dollars. In turn, I use those Earmarks to purchase services not only from you to fix my car later, but from a deaf dentist when I need dental work.

Earmarks would not be subject to speculation or inflation, or have anything to do with dollars or euros. It would be a simple, value-based system in which, for example, an hour of skilled labor is one Earmark, and a pound of fresh produce grown by a member skilled at gardening costs one Earmark.

I would be very interested. I've done a lot of bartering. I've bartered a snowblower for work to fix fuel pump on my car for one thing.

I've bartered gift card for massage with my next door neighbor who is a massage therapist. I can go on and on.

I'll be interested in bartering for with people in IL, Indiana, Wisconsin, and Michigan.

I have never tried the Earmark idea. I always barter with people in person not online. Would be curious on whether Earmark one is a success. It'll be difficult to create point system for Earmark program. Just my 2 cent.

I have never tried the Earmark idea. I always barter with people in person not online. Would be curious on whether Earmark one is a success. It'll be difficult to create point system for Earmark program. Just my 2 cent.

An Earmark system would definitely depend on the integrity and honor of the participants, and would be loosely organized but mostly anarchic. It would start with a small core of people who set up simple guidelines and carefully bring new people into the system.

The bartering system is the better way to go at the start.

It's an intereresting idea. I don't know a lot about it, but I know there are already different types of bartering groups.

You may want to do a search and see how those organizations work.

On the simplest level I've seen babysitting groups organized through a synagogue. Parents babysit each other's babies and kids. For every hour you babysit someone else's kid, you "earn" one hour of babysitting for your kid.

On the most complicated level, I've heard of businesses in a city being members of a barter group. I think part of the purpose is to network, but obviously of course they barter too. Usually a 3rd party gets involved and collects a fee to do the recordkeeping.

One has to be careful -- the IRS does not exempt itself from income taxes even if the income was earned by bartering. And state goverments apparently don't exempt themselves from sales taxes.

On a similar note, I think it would be a good idea to have a few coops set up by the D/d/HH. Capitalism doesn't always work for us especially when it comes to hearing aids. Wouldn't it be cool to have a coop that manufactured and distributed hearing aids -- of, by and for D/d/HH members?

This is the most famous coop I know about -- it's a grocery store in Brooklyn. Its been around for years (since 1973), so I would guess its members find it worth their time.

Last edited:
Would you be able to buy earmarks? Lets say you are sick and cannot trade anything because you have run out of things to barter with but you still want fresh veggies. Could you buy earmarks so you have some bartering money to get the fresh veggies?

How do you penalize someone that constantly takes advantage of other members?

Can inflation come into play here? lets say the growing season is unusually bad but you still need someone to code that website and since everyone has the same growing experience there is a lack of fresh veggies. Does that cause the preceived value of fresh veggies to go up?

while it's not specifically deaf, here's an example of something being used:
TimeBanks USA

it's a time/values system based on barter/share

Is there enough "deaf/Deaf/DEAF people' to make such a system feasible?

Would anyone be interested in building a system where deaf people do business with each other in ways that do not use the financial systems of the rest of human society? This could mean trade and barter, or even coming up with a new credit system (maybe with a unit with a creative name, such as the Earmark).

Such a system could be face-to-face or online.

Examples:

You fix cars. I grow organic vegetables. My car breaks down and you want fresh veggies. You fix my car in exchange for fresh veggies for an agreed-upon period of time.

I build web sites. You enjoy research. I build and maintain a web site for you, in exchange for research you provide for one of my non-profit online ventures.

As far as a credit system goes, I'm thinking about something like this: a community is formed, in which members state what they are able to provide. You want vegetables now but my car is not in need of repair. You buy vegetables from me, using Earmarks, not dollars. In turn, I use those Earmarks to purchase services not only from you to fix my car later, but from a deaf dentist when I need dental work.

Earmarks would not be subject to speculation or inflation, or have anything to do with dollars or euros. It would be a simple, value-based system in which, for example, an hour of skilled labor is one Earmark, and a pound of fresh produce grown by a member skilled at gardening costs one Earmark.

To what end, further alienate the deaf community? If you don't use real currency, how do you gain any power? The object should be to gain influence, right?

Beyond that, how do you deal with grievances? Are you planning on building your own court system?

Will you serve koolaid like they did at Jones Town?

I have special oil! I'm going to be power control on everybody!

To what end, further alienate the deaf community? If you don't use real currency, how do you gain any power? The object should be to gain influence, right?

Beyond that, how do you deal with grievances? Are you planning on building your own court system?

Will you serve koolaid like they did at Jones Town?

I think the koolaid will be given to select individuals... :naughty:

All good thoughts. A direct way if accomplishing this without hassles is to load a bunch of (genetic) deaf people in a space pod and colonize a new colony away from mass society interaction.

I've a thought on a few issues since what I said above isn't feasible in current nature. It reminds me of aspects related to Martha's Vineyard. This would likely require us to live near in proximity, correct?
how would you keep those whom are not deaf away from tampering with this society? What if hearing individuals take advantage and 'legally' (or illegally) interfere with conditions in their favor?

I don't know if the bartering system would work. But I wouldn't mind supporting other deaf businesses. If there was some central database with their info; I'd certainly check it out.

Capitalism doesn't always work for us especially when it comes to hearing aids. Wouldn't it be cool to have a coop that manufactured and distributed hearing aids -- of, by and for D/d/HH members?

THANK YOU for noticing that about crapitalism! :h5:

A deaf tech co-op would be awesome.

Would you be able to buy earmarks? Lets say you are sick and cannot trade anything because you have run out of things to barter with but you still want fresh veggies. Could you buy earmarks so you have some bartering money to get the fresh veggies?

Not under the system I have in mind. If you have an illness and are unable to work, you are given credits to use while you are sick. If you suffer from a permanent condition that is not terminal, well, everyone can do *something*.

How do you penalize someone that constantly takes advantage of other members?

Banishment from the system. This has proven effective in enlightened cultures of bygone days.

Can inflation come into play here? lets say the growing season is unusually bad but you still need someone to code that website and since everyone has the same growing experience there is a lack of fresh veggies. Does that cause the preceived value of fresh veggies to go up?

No inflation. It's a bogus concept. If everyone is having a hard time, then the value of everything goes up or down by the same amount for everyone. There is therefore no need to redundantly reflect that in the value of the credit system. ;)

I've a thought on a few issues since what I said above isn't feasible in current nature. It reminds me of aspects related to Martha's Vineyard. This would likely require us to live near in proximity, correct?

No, thanks to the internet.

how would you keep those whom are not deaf away from tampering with this society? What if hearing individuals take advantage and 'legally' (or illegally) interfere with conditions in their favor?

Members would be known. Hearing members could be allowed, I supposed, if they meet certain criteria (ideas?). Hearing individuals taking advantage would be a moot point, since members would be known, and anyone taking unfair advantage would be banned from the system, whether deaf or hearing.

How members are there in Alldeaf.com for openers in starting a "new deaf world" on Mars?

^^^Hahaha! You go first... let us know when things are ready. ;)

Back