Deaf Tow-In Surf Team - North Shore, Oahu

Aquaman

Reaction score
We got our first winter swell a couple of weeks ago and headed out to do some tow-in surfing. I grabbed my GoPro Hero HD and captured some footage before the battery died. We stayed out towing for 7 hours. Good times. :D

Be sure to select 1080p for max quality if your connection is fast enough.

-Paul

great movie aquaman. is it true what marine scientist say about deaf being more tasty to great white sharks?

You might be onto something here as I've been bit by a shark twice... :hmm:

Probably doesn't help that I like to ride them. Don't try this at home, kids.

DSC01129.jpg

DSC00885.jpg

-Paul

Riding a shark???? You are out of your crazy mind, dude!!!!!

(where do I sign up to try?)

We got our first winter swell a couple of weeks ago and headed out to do some tow-in surfing. I grabbed my GoPro Hero HD and captured some footage before the battery died. We stayed out towing for 7 hours. Good times. :D

Be sure to select 1080p for max quality if your connection is fast enough.

Paul and Jared Towing in on Youtube

-Paul

Great vid!!! I was amazed how fast you surf. I'm working on to surf in Half Moon Bay/Pacifica, CA. I believe I am going to start surf in this spring.

Great vid!!! I was amazed how fast you surf. I'm working on to surf in Half Moon Bay/Pacifica, CA. I believe I am going to start surf in this spring.

lmk.. if you do. Santa Cruz too... but i dont know hows good you are. if youre not, you do need training wheels. lol.

Half Moon Bay, Pacifica and Santa Cruz? Brrrr! You guys are nuts.

But then again, I did grow up in NorCal. I lived in Marin and surfed mostly between Bolinas and Rockaway beach as I grew up. By the time I was in high school I was riding Mavericks (before I even knew it was called Mavericks - I called it "The outside left at Ross's Cove"). I was also making trips down to Santa Cruz seemingly almost every month to compete on the NSSA circuit. I nearly went pro, but burned out trying to meet all of my sponsors' obligations and decided to leave surfing and moved down to LA.

7 years later, I met a girl (now wife) who dared me to enter the first World Deaf Surfing Championships in Baja when I told her I used to be a half-way decent surfer in northern California. I wanted to impress, so I borrowed her beater longboard, did a 2 hour free-surf session the day before to see if I even remembered how to swim. Turns out it was like riding a bicycle and won the championships the next day. Shortly afterward, I moved back north to SF to get my masters and lived at Taraval and the Great Highway next to "Doc". Then moved down to Pacifica, 1 block away from the Sharp Park Pier (one of the greatest secrets around when it's firing).

So many great memories - those are my old stomping grounds. :wave: Maybe I'll make it back over there one day and join you guys for a surf.

-Paul

lmk.. if you do. Santa Cruz too... but i dont know hows good you are. if youre not, you do need training wheels. lol.

You're hard to reply me. I've texted you several times, and stopped because I don't want you think I'm annoying coward.

Half Moon Bay, Pacifica and Santa Cruz? Brrrr! You guys are nuts.

But then again, I did grow up in NorCal. I lived in Marin and surfed mostly between Bolinas and Rockaway beach as I grew up. By the time I was in high school I was riding Mavericks (before I even knew it was called Mavericks - I called it "The outside left at Ross's Cove"). I was also making trips down to Santa Cruz seemingly almost every month to compete on the NSSA circuit. I nearly went pro, but burned out trying to meet all of my sponsors' obligations and decided to leave surfing and moved down to LA.

7 years later, I met a girl (now wife) who dared me to enter the first World Deaf Surfing Championships in Baja when I told her I used to be a half-way decent surfer in northern California. I wanted to impress, so I borrowed her beater longboard, did a 2 hour free-surf session the day before to see if I even remembered how to swim. Turns out it was like riding a bicycle and won the championships the next day. Shortly afterward, I moved back north to SF to get my masters and lived at Taraval and the Great Highway next to "Doc". Then moved down to Pacifica, 1 block away from the Sharp Park Pier (one of the greatest secrets around when it's firing).

So many great memories - those are my old stomping grounds. :wave: Maybe I'll make it back over there one day and join you guys for a surf.

-Paul

full wetsuit is for?

Oh, damn you guys. I do miss Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, Pacifica, and Marin County. I used to live in San Francisco for 3.5 years.

Pffhht!

full wetsuit is for?

I still wear full wetsuits in Hawaii. 3/2's for towing - good protection from the elements and gives me additional flotation since I do not float well at all.

4/3's (my old Mavericks suit) for diving without bottled air. I dive past 100' and I need to stay warm to conserve my oxygen if I don't want to die. It's part of my big-wave training.

GOPR0355.jpg

Aquaman hanging with a turtle at the YO-257 wreck which sits in 100' of water

-Paul

Back