Deaf student's dog turned away from school

With violence nowaday, having a dog to warn deaf student is a good thing. Interpreter is not going to be with him all the time and how else is he supposed to know if emergency has arise? At my public school, there is no visual fire drill that alarm deaf students. For all I know, I can be in restroom for five minutes clueless that those 5 very minutes could be thing that save my life if I'd knew.

Dog can alarm him the sound of guns, alarms, people shouting at him, cars/buses in school parking lots, etc. So I believe that he needs his dog with him since dog is trained to help him alert him of his surrounding. Period.

I know for fact interpreter is NOT going be with deaf student all the time. It is not interpreter's responsibility to babysit, so dog is a good way for student to be independent.

With violence nowaday, having a dog to warn deaf student is a good thing. Interpreter is not going to be with him all the time and how else is he supposed to know if emergency has arise? At my public school, there is no visual fire drill that alarm deaf students. For all I know, I can be in restroom for five minutes clueless that those 5 very minutes could be thing that save my life if I'd knew.

Dog can alarm him the sound of guns, alarms, people shouting at him, cars/buses in school parking lots, etc. So I believe that he needs his dog with him since dog is trained to help him alert him of his surrounding. Period.

I know for fact interpreter is NOT going be with deaf student all the time. It is not interpreter's responsibility to babysit, so dog is a good way for student to be independent.

True..u and Jillo have good points...especially with all these school shootings . I never had a terp nor a dog growing up in mainstreamed school until high school but then again, I was lucky that no serious emergencies occurred while I was in school.
HMMM...there are so many deaf/hoh mainstreamed now so a plan for them needs to be addressed if such a serious emergency like a shooting should happen.

Hello, I am a special educator in training, and we're currently doing research on the fact that some feel that those with deafness or that are HoH should not be "grouped" in with students with disabilities, although special services and assistance may be necessary in the education process. What do you all feel is necessary for schools and educators to do to help?

An IEP (Individual Educational Plan). Where are you attending college so I'd know (roughly) where you're coming from. I think this would make a great report in a technical writing course!

Aid the boy in what? He's not blind nor does he have vision problems. He has interpreters and notetakers. He is not helpless without the dog and can function like any other deaf/hh kid in a mainstream school. So I do not see why the school should be forced to accomodate him. I hate to play devil's advocate here but this case does not fall into the "reasonable accomodations" category.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions and I respect all opinions whether you agree with me or not.

I am blind and I wouldn't be "helpless" without a dog. I use a cane and a special handheld device which emits sound and tracks how they bounce back to warn me of objects I'm getting closer to. I get around fine. Does that mean I don't deserve the -right- to take a dog to school?

Service dogs are service dogs. If the dog serves SOME purpose to mitigate disability, it's a service dog. Which under the ADA, we have a right to take anywhere and everywhere- I know someone with asperger's syndrome who takes their Ssig dog to school. That's as far away from "needed" as humanly possible. Hearing dogs serve ALOT of important functions for their owner. An interpreter cannot be with a student during the entire time they're at school, much less during the walk to/from school, alerting them to dangers.

The argument is basically "hey, other deaf kids make do without it, why should he get better treatment?" Answer? Because the law SAYS he should. He went through the mile long process of getting a service dog, and he'll have to work hard to keep it trained. He deserves to benefit from it anywhere and everywhere.

oh, and allergies? I had CRAP reactions to flowers planted all over our (outdoor) campus in the 7th grade. I took diphenhydramine and was still miserable and tired all the time. Did the school remove the flowers because of how I felt, how I'm sure plenty other students with allergies felt? Nope.

:gpost:
I am blind and I wouldn't be "helpless" without a dog. I use a cane and a special handheld device which emits sound and tracks how they bounce back to warn me of objects I'm getting closer to. I get around fine. Does that mean I don't deserve the -right- to take a dog to school?

Service dogs are service dogs. If the dog serves SOME purpose to mitigate disability, it's a service dog. Which under the ADA, we have a right to take anywhere and everywhere- I know someone with asperger's syndrome who takes their Ssig dog to school. That's as far away from "needed" as humanly possible. Hearing dogs serve ALOT of important functions for their owner. An interpreter cannot be with a student during the entire time they're at school, much less during the walk to/from school, alerting them to dangers.

The argument is basically "hey, other deaf kids make do without it, why should he get better treatment?" Answer? Because the law SAYS he should. He went through the mile long process of getting a service dog, and he'll have to work hard to keep it trained. He deserves to benefit from it anywhere and everywhere.

oh, and allergies? I had CRAP reactions to flowers planted all over our (outdoor) campus in the 7th grade. I took diphenhydramine and was still miserable and tired all the time. Did the school remove the flowers because of how I felt, how I'm sure plenty other students with allergies felt? Nope.

:gpost:

I totally agree with this post. I don't use taxi's unless I have to as I've had some really bad experiences with some cab drivers refusing to take my dog.

How well a blind, deaf or disabled person can function without a service dog isn't the point. A service dog is allowed in all public establishments under the ADA -- period -- regardless of how well a dog's handler can fuction without it.

I've been a guide dog user for the past 15 years and am thankful I've only had a handful of occaisions where access has been a problem.

Last edited:
I actually agree with them. Instead of a dog he should have an interpreter. They present good points to the argument as well. There's no reason why he would need a dog at school. Maybe I'm not familar with how service dogs function to help deaf people, but I fail to see how bringing a dog to school will help him.

Would someone mind telling me how taking a dog to school -will- help someone in place where an interpreter can't?

No I disagree totally! If this school is a public school, the school has NO say whatsoever. ADA is a LAW; therefore, people with disability that have service dogs should be allowed in anywhere. This is simple pure discrimination!

Let me ask, do you want to be the person to guide a blind person everywhere like it is your job? Don't you think it would be easy if he had a guide dog? Let the dog guide him around as long as he likes? Why can't a deaf person do the same thing? Why can't a person in wheelchair do it too? I know a case about a woman who had history of sezures, she was not allowed to bring in her service dog to a resturant. She sued and won because she is depending on the dog for her life.

You know what? Interpreters only exists in the classrooms, they don't follow deaf students everywhere they go. I would love if I have an interpreter who follows me everywhere I go except for going to the bathroom and bedroom. This is just stupid, I'm sorry.

Let me ask, do you want to be the person to guide a blind person everywhere like it is your job? Don't you think it would be easy if he had a guide dog? Let the dog guide him around as long as he likes?

First, a blind person with good orientation and mobility skills does not *need* a sighted person to guide them everywhere. With proper O&M instruction, blind people can learn how to use their hearing, environmental sounds and landmarks to get from point A to point B. Even people like myself who are fully deafblind (without my CIs) can travel independently.

Second, a guide dog does not simply "guide a blind person around." Blind people who have guide dogs have gone through extensive training in order to learn how to work with their dogs.

It is the blind person's job to direct their dog with commands of "forward," "left," "right," "find the...," etc. and to know how to get from one place to another. In other words, the blind person is the one who is in control -- not the guide dog. If a blind person doesn't know where they are going, their guide dog will be of very little help to them.

How well a blind, deaf or disabled person can function without a service dog isn't the point. A service dog is allowed in all public establishments under the ADA -- period -- regardless of how well a dog's handler can fuction without it.

I've been a guide dog user for the past 15 years and am thankful I've only had a handful of occaisions where access has been a problem.

There is only one environment that the service animal can't be in and that is a sterile environment (an operating room). Ohterwise, everything is fair game.

Let me ask, do you want to be the person to guide a blind person everywhere like it is your job? Don't you think it would be easy if he had a guide dog? Let the dog guide him around as long as he likes?

I'm basically repeating what has been said, but a dog can't/wont guide around the owner- it's up to you to interpret feedback the dog provides you and give orders based on that. As also mentioned, -no- blind person should need guiding around. If they do, it's because they haven't received proper training, not because of the nature of their disability.

That said, science: catch up with me, here. I'd sure like a self-guiding cane one of these days. Like, an all in one pack that can give me the benefits of carrying a cane, gps, and miniguide in one small package. Preferably with an "upgrade" option that will analyze traffic for me. I'd like to be lazy -some- days! :)

There is only one environment that the service animal can't be in and that is a sterile environment (an operating room). Ohterwise, everything is fair game.

Pete,

You're correct. Thank you for pointing that out. :)

I'd sure like a self-guiding cane one of these days. Like, an all in one pack that can give me the benefits of carrying a cane, gps, and miniguide in one small package. Preferably with an "upgrade" option that will analyze traffic for me. I'd like to be lazy -some- days! :)

Me too! :)

If a blind person doesn't know where they are going, their guide dog will be of very little help to them.

Yes that is mostly true. However a few months back a bus driver put me off at the wrong stop. I had no idea where I was but Jilli found the way home.

However I must stress that this is an exception rather then a rule. She could have just as easily gone round in circles but you can usually tell if the dog doesn't know where they are going as their pace slows down. In this case Jilli was walking at a good pace with a sense of purpose so I just let her get on with it.

First, a blind person with good orientation and mobility skills does not *need* a sighted person to guide them everywhere. With proper O&M instruction, blind people can learn how to use their hearing, environmental sounds and landmarks to get from point A to point B. Even people like myself who are fully deafblind (without my CIs) can travel independently.

Second, a guide dog does not simply "guide a blind person around." Blind people who have guide dogs have gone through extensive training in order to learn how to work with their dogs.

It is the blind person's job to direct their dog with commands of "forward," "left," "right," "find the...," etc. and to know how to get from one place to another. In other words, the blind person is the one who is in control -- not the guide dog. If a blind person doesn't know where they are going, their guide dog will be of very little help to them.

I have a blind student here at school that I arrange services for, and he is really the first person I ever worked with who used a service dog. The relationship between the two, and the way they work together is absolutely amazing to watch! I truly gained in respect for those who use service dogs, as well as for the dogs themselves.

I have a blind student here at school that I arrange services for, and he is really the first person I ever worked with who used a service dog. The relationship between the two, and the way they work together is absolutely amazing to watch! I truly gained in respect for those who use service dogs, as well as for the dogs themselves.

jillio,

I agree! :)

I'm currently working with my second guide dog (she's 11 years old) and I'm continually amazed at how intelligent, loving and devoted these dogs really are!

Thanks to all who have responded and I feel like I have learned a few things from this thread. If the law says that service dogs must be allowed anywhere to assist disabled persons, then so be it. It should be interesting to see how this case plays out in the courts and the eventual impact it will have on future of service dogs. Stay tuned.

jillio,

I agree! :)

I'm currently working with my second guide dog (she's 11 years old) and I'm continually amazed at how intelligent, loving and devoted these dogs really are!

Hear Again,

As soon as Maria gets settled into her new home, she is going to enlarge my avatar (to the left). Here I am pictured with Snickers, my Hearing Dog.

I was just reading about this court case on another web site. Does anyone know of any recent updates?

I guess the issue in question is the gray area between the ADA and the IDEA. It seems that the ADA requires a broader spectrum of accommodations in the public sphere than the IDEA does.

I don't quite understand why the school has dug in so deeply on this case. Let the kid have his service dog. What's the big deal? Dander? Stupid excuse... what would they do if they had a blind teacher? Oh wait, they probably wouldn't HIRE a blind teacher.... (in violation of the ADA).

I think the bottom line here is that the school doesn't want a dog, because they fear that it will be disruptive.... and in truth, a poorly trained service dog probably would be disruptive. However, in my experience these dogs are incredibly well behaved. The school knows that the "disruptive" argument won't hold water, so they attack the character of the individuals putting the case forward (the parents). Unfortunately the judge bought into the stupid arguments. He even suggested that terps and note takers, are extraordinary accommodations. Clearly he's clueless about typical accommodations made for the deaf. Those aren't extraordinary at all.

Back