Deaf signer learning ASL

violet

Reaction score
It occurred to me to ask you guys this question because I've been learning so much about grammar mouthings and the ASL language structure that I wanted your input on it

I wanted to know when a Deaf signer is learning ASL or BSL so on and so forth.. are they also taught all of the grammar and structure

For example Me ( a native spanish speaker) going into a spanish class.. I would learn so much from an actual class than just from what i picked up at home.

how does that work with you?

That's only different for me when I learn SEE, I was unaware of ASL until I was senior. I grew in mainstream with English like hearing.

Therefore after I learn and still learn how to use ASL. Heck, everybody attack on my sign language.

I live mostly in the hearing world and sign PSE (not that well either). But anybody who would attack on my sign language should be prepared to be bitten! :devil:

So far I've been learning both PSE and ASL because I want to be able to switch back and forth. PSE is a whole lot easier to sign when you're voicing at the same time in my opinion, so I practice PSE when I have to voice for my wife or someone else, and I practice ASL when I am just signing with my one friend who signs.

Hmm maybe my question isnt clear.... I mean does a native Signer...Learn alll the structure and grammar..and other quirks of a language or do they... learn as they go..whatever they pick up?and not actually be educated on the whole grammatical portion?

Hmm maybe my question isnt clear.... I mean does a native Signer...Learn alll the structure and grammar..and other quirks of a language or do they... learn as they go..whatever they pick up?and not actually be educated on the whole grammatical portion?

I think this would entirely depend on who was doing the teaching. If it's in a class or other educational environment, with lots of structure and a schedule, then it is probably very focused on grammar and proper structure. If they learn from a friend or something, the focus is probably going to be more based on communicating and understanding, rather than knowing the nuances of ASL sentence structure and what is formally done. I notice that we're way more formal in class, than when we sign with deaf people. People who use the language daily develop slang and drop some signs that are drilled into during class time... then we go and unlearn all the "formal" when we actually go communicate. I get told alot that "no deaf people sign like that" when I sign something that we've practiced in class :lol:

I think this would entirely depend on who was doing the teaching. If it's in a class or other educational environment, with lots of structure and a schedule, then it is probably very focused on grammar and proper structure. If they learn from a friend or something, the focus is probably going to be more based on communicating and understanding, rather than knowing the nuances of ASL sentence structure and what is formally done. I notice that we're way more formal in class, than when we sign with deaf people. People who use the language daily develop slang and drop some signs that are drilled into during class time... then we go and unlearn all the "formal" when we actually go communicate. I get told alot that "no deaf people sign like that" when I sign something that we've practiced in class :lol:

I see i see.. well thank you for that responses... I'm very fortunate my professors alwaaays let us in on the slang because usually they're the only deaf we can talk to on campus and they're always around so they always let us know what's an easier way to sign things or slang or whatever.. :)
Thanks for answering my question!

lol
violet -
Most (if not all) of the Deaf people are not taught ASL formally. They learn it from their environment.
It's interesting to note that all the schools require English classes, and some other language classes. ASL is not formally taught.

I tell other *D*eaf people that in few years hearing people will know ASL better than them - they take offense to that.

I've been deaf all my life, went to deaf school, had parents that signed, etc... I flunked my first ASL test for becoming a deaf interpreter. I learned a lot from that experience and I can safely say that I've improved quite a bit with what I learned from that.

lol
violet -
Most (if not all) of the Deaf people are not taught ASL formally. They learn it from their environment.
It's interesting to note that all the schools require English classes, and some other language classes. ASL is not formally taught.

I tell other *D*eaf people that in few years hearing people will know ASL better than them - they take offense to that.

I've been deaf all my life, went to deaf school, had parents that signed, etc... I flunked my first ASL test for becoming a deaf interpreter. I learned a lot from that experience and I can safely say that I've improved quite a bit with what I learned from that.

So even though you went to a deaf school they didnt teach you ASL the formal version?and the whole nine? you know as it happens when in a hearing public school they teach english and grammar and so on and so forth?
Interesting
Well thank you for your comment! i learned something!:)

So even though you went to a deaf school they didnt teach you ASL the formal version?and the whole nine? you know as it happens when in a hearing public school they teach english and grammar and so on and so forth?
Interesting
Well thank you for your comment! i learned something!:)

Yup. Kind of a strange thing though. It was one of the smaller things I never really understood.

That's one thing I agree with you on. It's ironic that most deaf schools does not teach ASL on a formal level (not in my time at least) but I can say this - since both of my sons goes to a deaf school, they also formally teach ASL now because there's a lot of students that are enrolled or transferred from a public school with mainstream settings.

So, with that, I suppose it is in the norm for deaf schools to be teaching ASL to it's students now than they had back in the past, I guess? They say time changes, so.

That's one thing I agree with you on. It's ironic that most deaf schools does not teach ASL on a formal level (not in my time at least) but I can say this - since both of my sons goes to a deaf school, they also formally teach ASL now because there's a lot of students that are enrolled or transferred from a public school with mainstream settings.

So, with that, I suppose it is in the norm for deaf schools to be teaching ASL to it's students now than they had back in the past, I guess? They say time changes, so.

Thats good to know.

Back