Deaf Sensitivity Training Video for Police Officers

Jeremy1982

Reaction score
I sent this to one of the area Police Departments, I'm going to be sending it to many of the other area police departments and urging this be used for immediate training and then follow up to see what has been done. It's 20 minutes long, what does anyone think?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9aNpMRHH2c"]Deaf Sensitivity Training Video for Police Officers - YouTube[/ame]

I thought that video was quite interesting and accurate, for the most part.

The only downside to it was that the captions could have been synced a little better. I don't know about the voice part though. I am also thinking they should add a suggestion that the police officers at least learn the ABCs and a few basic phrases. Another thing I noticed was that the police officer simply entered the home during the skit where the boyfriend got arrested for domestic abuse without asking for permission. Was he supposed to do that? I'm just wondering because I am not a police officer, so I wouldn't know anything about the procedures for dealing with calls of domestic violence/abuse.

Other than that... I would still definitely recommend the video to anyone out there in law enforcement. I'm also thinking this video could be useful for other people/situations too, i.e. EMTs or other people who are trained to deal with emergencies.

I am going to see if I can contact the local department around here as well as the ones at the college that I graduated from later today (it's 4:15 am right now) and send them the link to this video. There are still some deaf students at that college. I also know of some deaf people who live close enough.

The skit was a call was for domestic abuse, I don't believe they need permission to enter when there is reasonable belief that someone may be hurt inside, the 911 call gave that reasonable belief.

The skit was a call was for domestic abuse, I don't believe they need permission to enter when there is reasonable belief that someone may be hurt inside, the 911 call gave that reasonable belief.

that's right. in that scenario, the police officers had a probable cause to enter the house without his permission.

I sent this to all of my EMT friends a month or two ago, its great, and they really appreciated it

Well, I've yet to encounter not 1 police officer who knows ASL....even after a mediation hearing in Tampa (Florida) a few years ago, regarding police brutility here in Jacksonville...and the Sheriff (John Rutherford) stated that he would have his Officers take ASL classes....:giggle:...what a joke!

However, last week the very nice young hearing 21-yr. old delivered some furniture to my house, and upon finding out I was deaf...he just started signing away to me!....I was impressed...he was going to college and delivering furniture (hard-working young man)....I mentioned to him that he might want to consider police enforcement as a career, but he didn't agree to that...

Think it would be great if some Deaf or HOH police offcers were hired, as they do have some Spanish speaking officers.

Well, I've yet to encounter not 1 police officer who knows ASL....even after a mediation hearing in Tampa (Florida) a few years ago, regarding police brutility here in Jacksonville...and the Sheriff (John Rutherford) stated that he would have his Officers take ASL classes....:giggle:...what a joke!

However, last week the very nice young hearing 21-yr. old delivered some furniture to my house, and upon finding out I was deaf...he just started signing away to me!....I was impressed...he was going to college and delivering furniture (hard-working young man)....I mentioned to him that he might want to consider police enforcement as a career, but he didn't agree to that...

Think it would be great if some Deaf or HOH police offcers were hired, as they do have some Spanish speaking officers.

First off, Houston had 12 police officers who have passed the police academy Sign Language Course, taught by a deaf professor of ASL from the college. All this means is that they took 180 hours of classroom learning. They were also required to interact with the deaf in real life at the ASL socials 4X.

The officers who direct the P.I.P. meeting use sign language, just not pure ASL, and are always wanting to learn more (example: both did not know the sign for suicide until the deaf taught them at P.I.P.)

However, I've spoken to the Chief of Police and he had hired the deaf as citizen workers but not officers. The obvious reason is insurance. The thought is that street work os too dangerous for the deaf and a partner is endangered. Like you, I would love to see a deaf person be an officer but I'm in agreement with the Chief, the department is greater than any one person. And there is no discrimination since HPD is willing to hire as many deaf as are qualified, just not to be an officer.

First off, Houston had 12 police officers who have passed the police academy Sign Language Course, taught by a deaf professor of ASL from the college. All this means is that they took 180 hours of classroom learning. They were also required to interact with the deaf in real life at the ASL socials 4X.

The officers who direct the P.I.P. meeting use sign language, just not pure ASL, and are always wanting to learn more (example: both did not know the sign for suicide until the deaf taught them at P.I.P.)

However, I've spoken to the Chief of Police and he had hired the deaf as citizen workers but not officers. The obvious reason is insurance. The thought is that street work os too dangerous for the deaf and a partner is endangered. Like you, I would love to see a deaf person be an officer but I'm in agreement with the Chief, the department is greater than any one person. And there is no discrimination since HPD is willing to hire as many deaf as are qualified, just not to be an officer.

I believe there are some deaf police officers in Alaska.

Foxrac, thank you, thank you:ty::ty:

I'll share this with my police officers buddies, I'm sure they would be interested in knowing about this.

then it means they won't let deaf people get involved more.

Back