Deaf seeking perm. residency in canada/quebec? long rant.

FetchMeThatBlueMoon

Reaction score
Hi all...

I'm deaf. Two cochlear implants, although currently my sensory processing is low. Somewhat passable speech skills. Higher proficiency in English reading and writing than most hearing people. I also have a hearing SO of 3 years, living in Quebec, and who I often visit. I am American. Finally, I consider myself an enlightened atheist, possessing a higher than average intelligence level and utilizing it to the max.

I've studied up on the immigration laws and policies for both Canada as a whole, and well, Quebec's... own requirements and processes. I am only seeking residency because I have a SO there. That's it.

But I also read up on some very awful news articles about disabled people generally being turned away. How progressive, Trudeau. Anyway, and a few articles about d/Deaf individuals being rejected, like the hearing mom from the Philippines with a deaf daughter.

Apparently I am probably a drain on their healthcare service, even though the only surgeries I've ever had was for the implants. I am jumping mad right now, and rather offended. I come from an upper-middle class background and refuse to apply for welfare. Currently I am studying at RIT for a computer science degree, debt-free on behalf of my parents. Oh yeah!

What can I do, fellow deaf people? Opinions?

Apparently Syrian refugees are less of resource drains than deaf people, even though statistically, there are astronomically higher odds of one blowing up buildings and killing people, costing the area or even province thousands or millions in damages. This isn't racism, and I think Trump is a simple-minded idiot, and evil, to fear monger, but even literally one out of tens of thousands of otherwise good refugees would cause more drain than a thousand deaf people at once, or more.

Thankfully my mom is high profile and we can make the news if we have to... That is how the Philippines daughter was eventually let in.

Audism is bad, and it's worse that we are apparently on the same standing as mentally retarded (is there a more acceptable term for them?) people wearing diapers, or individuals using oxygen tanks 24/7 who were lucky (perhaps debatable...) enough to be born in Canada, and are... actual drains on the health system!

End rant. Thanks for reading if you got this far, and yes, I usually write too much. Love, all.

Last edited:
You can buy your way into Canada. Three or four hundred thousand and you are in and fully invested in their economy. I love Canada and its people. They do a lot of winter get warm holiday for good reason though. Lots of tropical country Asians there even way up North. It seems understandable that they would want people to be invested in their new country in tangible ways.

Back