Deaf schools or mainstream?

illustrator

Reaction score
I go to mainstream in my whole life with deaf programs.

Been to Deaf Institute for half of my school year while gone to mainstreaming school for my other half.

Originally posted by cloud
Been to Deaf Institute for half of my school year while gone to mainstreaming school for my other half.

feel awkard after switch from deaf to mainstream, do ya?

Originally posted by illustrator
feel awkard after switch from deaf to mainstream, do ya?

Yeah, I just always wish I stay in mainstreaming for the education and stay in Deaf institute for the social life. It's always have one good part of both.

Mainstreamed as an only deaf student whole my life. I transferred to a school for the deaf in my HS junior year then a year later I withdrew and returned to my public school.

Mainstreamed my whole life! Even at RIT.. no deaf class except for one which was Introduction to Psychology with Gail Rothman Marshall.

Originally posted by BostonIceFire
Mainstreamed my whole life! Even at RIT.. no deaf class except for one which was Introduction to Psychology with Gail Rothman Marshall.

Just out of curious. Have you ever visit Deaf Institute before?

Just out of curious. Have you ever visit Deaf Institute before?

To be honest, nope! I kinda wish I did... I almost had the opportunity back in high school but at that time, I didn't think much about deaf institute til I came to RIT. Cuz a lot of my friends knew each other from deaf institute. I thought that was kinda awesome especially when I only graduated with three of us (deafies) in my senior class.

To be honest, nope! I kinda wish I did... I almost had the opportunity back in high school but at that time, I didn't think much about deaf institute til I came to RIT. Cuz a lot of my friends knew each other from deaf institute. I thought that was kinda awesome especially when I only graduated with three of us (deafies) in my senior class.

Dang. Yeah you wish you had did it.

yaaa - i went to public school in preschool thru 7th grade .... then 8th grade thru senior - transferred to ISD (Ind.)

Why is that?

The only part I like about both

Deaf Institute = Better social life

Mainstream school = Better education.

Myself with whole life with mainstream classroom and went to school for the deaf for short time due no interpreter include moving too much place to live. I think that deaf school is not my happy educational because I meet them in couple of deaf that doesn't know what deaf culture is all about. Like why should we pride to be deaf. I am not going to say the name of deaf school. I am kind shock when I found out about it.

I won't start on with my continuous promoting of shutting residential schools for the deaf in here... :D

I've had been in a residential school for the deaf for many years, not by my choice, but never had to worry about living in the dorms. I was part-time mainstreamed in a high school nearby. I believe that my parents were victimized by being brainwashed by the two hearing then administrators they had trusted, because they were from the same town and they knew each other since they were little children....

Originally posted by ideafspy
Myself with whole life with mainstream classroom and went to school for the deaf for short time due no interpreter include moving too much place to live. I think that deaf school is not my happy educational because I meet them in couple of deaf that doesn't know what deaf culture is all about. Like why should we pride to be deaf. I am not going to say the name of deaf school. I am kind shock when I found out about it.

old day was tough to find an interpreter in small city-medium city. Had to fight with ISD location for them to find someone from anywhere to move there. That what my mom did, she was great - bigger support.

Louisville Deaf Oral School in Kentucky (age 3 to 7)
St. Joseph Institute for the Deaf in Missouri (age 7 to 14)
St. Luke's in St. Louis, Missouri (age 13-14 for part time mainstreaming in regular classroom)
South Vermillion High school (public school 3 years - mainstreamed full time in regular classroom)
South Ripley high school (public school 1 year - mainstreamed full time in regular classroom)
Currently enrolled in an university in Indianapolis

Note: I moved the summer before my senior year which is why you see that I have gone to two different high schools in a four year's time.

The only part I like about both

Deaf Institute = Better social life

Mainstream school = Better education.

I agree with ya 100%! !

also sports too - Deaf Institute ! !

Mainstream School s education is better than Deaf Institute.

Cuz I have been both of them..

Originally posted by ScubaladyTx
I agree with ya 100%! !

also sports too - Deaf Institute ! !

Mainstream School s education is better than Deaf Institute.

Cuz I have been both of them..

lol ya i agree with u too

Back