Deaf schools or mainstream?

Neither are the class sizes in our school district. Additionally, having had a child go through the system, they were able to meet the needs of the students.

This part I woefully disagree with it! The less students in every class, it gets more effective for the teacher(s) to improve their weakness and push their strengths even more.

The main problem with the hearing schools' classes nowadays are only getting bigger in numbers because for the most their local taxes couldn't afford to shrink the class students (numbers) in every class. So I believe it even damages more for those deaf students at the mainstream schools because of that... those ones need more help than the hearing usually need.

This part I woefully disagree with it! The less students in every class, it gets more effective for the teacher(s) to improve their weakness and push their strengths even more.

The main problem with the hearing schools' classes nowadays are only getting bigger in numbers because for the most their local taxes couldn't afford to shrink the class students (numbers) in every class. So I believe it even damages more for those deaf students at the mainstream schools because of that... those ones need more help than the hearing usually need.

**nodding agreement**

garrent, which deaf school did you attend? I have to say I think that part of the reason upper level academics at deaf schools suck, is b/c most of the time, deaf schools are just seen as a dumping ground for mainstream failures.

i went to MSD (michigan school for the deaf)

Could you please tell us why you don't like deaf school? I suspect it has to do with the level of education. Is that so?

If so, that is why I want to see the deaf schools stay on but with improved education as in on the par with the hearing schools.

it has to do with kids and education too cuz in hearing school , they give out the same level as grade u were in like example: in 7 grade, they wud give u 7 grade level book and all that but in deaf school, they gave me the lower level while i was in 9 grade like they gave me 5 grade book it dont make sense but it is my opinion of deaf school and hearing school it may be goody for other deaf students but for me, not goody cuz it kinda mess up my education from what i have been learning from hearing school u know? no offense again ^_^

Neither are the class sizes in our school district. Additionally, having had a child go through the system, they were able to meet the needs of the students. I contrast my school district to the Deaf school less then 5 miles away and there is no comparision. The level of education the students receive in the Deaf school does not compare to that of my daughters' public school.

Can I find fault with the public school system, of course I can but having faced the decision of whether to place a child into a deaf school versus our local public school and the examination of both programs was done by a teacher with a Masters in Special Education, the Deaf school came up woefully short of our public school.

Again, each school district is different but to universally dismiss the mainstream school system by making blanket and inaccurate generalizations serves no purpose. I am certain there are some very fine deaf schools somewhere in the US and in certain situations it may be the most appropriate setting for a child, but not always.
Rick

I am gonna to be a regular teacher and not the special ed because it too general, i don't like general, i wanted to focus on Math and ASL.

it has to do with kids and education too cuz in hearing school , they give out the same level as grade u were in like example: in 7 grade, they wud give u 7 grade level book and all that but in deaf school, they gave me the lower level while i was in 9 grade like they gave me 5 grade book it dont make sense but it is my opinion of deaf school and hearing school it may be goody for other deaf students but for me, not goody cuz it kinda mess up my education from what i have been learning from hearing school u know? no offense again ^_^

Ahh.... it is the same thing at Detroit Day School for the Deaf where I used to attend. I got to the point where I learn more words at home, reading my books than I learned at the school. That is when I was very unhappy with that school. If I didn't ask my parents to send me to St. Rita, they would have send me to MSD. I am glad I went to St. Rita instead.

You couldnt have said it better. Geez, there are newspaper articles popping up about how to keep public schools teachers more motivated by giving out bonuses cuz the morale of the teachers is down due to overcrowding. I am just lucky I have a great support system and small classes to work with at my job.

You couldnt have said it better. Geez, there are newspaper articles popping up about how to keep public schools teachers more motivated by giving out bonuses cuz the morale of the teachers is down due to overcrowding. I am just lucky I have a great support system and small classes to work with at my job.

And mainstreaming has contributed to that overcrowding in the classroom. Not to mention the stress on the teachers who are attempting to tend to varied needs in an overcrowded environment.

To answer the question of the thread: 2 years of deaf preschool, mainstreamed for elementary, middleschool and highschool. Currently attending hearing college as only HOH student. My support consist of tutors and note takers. All material must be on text for me.

And perhaps this a not a good place to put the question, or perhaps someone could tell me where the thread is that discusses this subject, but why is education not as good in Deaf Schools? I can understand why it would be so in the past, but why now? As I read through some of the threads, it has become apparent that many people still do not think that the education are not equally matched today. Correct me if I am wrong.

Do deaf students have to take standardized test?

To answer the question of the thread: 2 years of deaf preschool, mainstreamed for elementary, middleschool and highschool. Currently attending hearing college as only HOH student. My support consist of tutors and note takers. All material must be on text for me.

And perhaps this a not a good place to put the question, or perhaps someone could tell me where the thread is that discusses this subject, but why is education not as good in Deaf Schools? I can understand why it would be so in the past, but why now? As I read through some of the threads, it has become apparent that many people still do not think that the education are not equally matched today. Correct me if I am wrong.

We've discussed this any number of times in various threads, and the simple answer to your question is that generally, the point that eduction is not as good at a Deaf school as at a hearing school is propoganda perpetrated by those that favor full oral only inclusion for deaf students. One of the biggest problems that Deaf schools have is that they receive the students that were mainstreamed and fell so far behind that the Deaf school placement was a last resort. The mainstream failed them, and they have been "dumped" on the deaf school. The deaf school is then expected to make up for the deficits caused by the mainstream, bring these students, who are often several grade levels behind and language deprived, up to grade level in a short period of time. The mainstream has created an impossible situation for the deaf school.

Some students, in the mainstream, are opted out of standardized testing, which gives us a false picture of how well they are doing in the mainstream. However, at my son's deaf school, to use an example, students were expected to take the standardized tests just as a hearing student would take them in a public school.

My son, as well, is a attending a hearing college, and doing quite well. And that is after attending a school for the deaf.

Thank you Jillio! I appreciate your willingness to answer. I am glad to hear your son is doing well in college.

Thank you Jillio! I appreciate your willingness to answer. I am glad to hear your son is doing well in college.

Thanks! And congratulations on your academic career, as well. I am always happy to discuss educational issues for the deaf. Educational advocacy for the deaf is not only my vocation, but my passion, as well.:giggle:

Hi! I can only speak from my personal experiences, but I have compared our local public schools, our local private schools, and the deaf school that is in another state(we are trying to move there and send my daughter to school there). I grew up in private school--not an exclusive prep school, but a religious school. The summary of my experience: not many opportunities as far as choosing classes/electives/extra-curriculars etc.--I was always envious of my public school friends who took what I considered "cool classes" and were involved in "cool activities"--my parents were more concerned with keeping me in a sheltered environment that was inundated with religious teachings and would not let me go to public school. When I had kids, I had a bad taste in my mouth about private schools--my goal was to move to what I felt was a really good school district and send my kids to public school. My son is entering 10th grade and my daughter (deaf/hh) is entering the 8th grade--they have been in public school since kindergarten, and my opinion has changed over the years. But even if I did find a private school that seemed to meet their needs, I could not afford the tuition--we don't even have enough money for their college years, much less private school tuition for high school. So, they will have to continue to be in public school--however, some are better than others--that is one reason why we are trying very hard to move away from our current school district and into one that we feel is much better. The whole situation is extremely frustrating--parents have no choices--they are told where to send their kids to school and if they don't like it the only option is to move into a different school district. That is what we are trying to do, but it isn't always easy to sell a house/change jobs/and move into the chosen district. Basically, the lack of choices and the difficulty of making big changes kind of sucks!

Now, we have visited the deaf school that my daughter wants to attend(once we get moved!). I was VERY impressed with their curriculum, their teachers, the small class sizes, the technology and materials used in instruction, the extracurricular activities, etc. I just kept thinking--wow, there is no way that she would EVER get access to all of this in public schools OR in any private schools, either! My son is not deaf and cannot attend this school, but I actually felt bad that he did not or will not have access to a school of such quality. The deaf school that we are considering was MUCH better than any public school that we have seen or even any private school that we have seen. It all boils down to money! The most elite and expensive private schools can offer a lot to kids whose families can afford it, but many people cannot afford these kind of schools. The best public schools are usually the ones who spend the highest amount of money per student--that requires living in a school district with expensive housing and high tax dollars, and many people cannot afford to do that. And when it comes to deaf schools, I am assuming that state-wide or district-wide spending completely affects the quality of education there. I know that there are other factors, but I think that we can all agree that the "best" deaf schools are getting the most money and spend it wisely on the students. The "poor" schools (maybe the ones with low enrollment numbers therefore the ones getting less money from the state) are doing the best they can, but they may be suffering as much as the public schools around them. It doesn't seem right, does it, but that is how American public schools (and any deaf schools run by the government) work--the more money per student, the more they have available to the students who attend there. All I know is this: I was very impressed with the deaf school that my daughter wants to attend--it is a FAR better school than any of the public schools or private schools around us.

I know some people--maybe a LOT of people--like to say that the schools with the highest test scores are the best ones, but I think that is pretty much a load of crap. I have NEVER been impressed with a school's test scores--means nothing to me in the long run. I have always looked for things such as: money spent per student, class sizes and teacher/student ratio, variety of classes offered(electives in high school), variety of sports and extracurricular activities offered, etc. In other words, if a school has high test scores but does not offer electives that interest my teens or have sports/clubs/other activities that they want to participate in--who cares what their test scores are then? Or, if the classes are overcrowded, or if they are cutting things out of educational programs because of budget cuts, or simply cannot afford to purchase the materials needed for instruction--once again, these things mean SO much more than test scores. Maybe it all balances out--maybe the schools that have the most money and offer the most opportunities end up having high test scores. But I truly don't pay that much attention to the test scores--what I want to know is: what can the school offer my child?

About those test scores--especially the NCLB crap--ridiculous! Public schools are now getting overrun by them and cannot focus on the actual needs of the students. My daughter will have to deal with standardized tests, whether in the public schools or in the state-run deaf schools. As long as the U.S. government is funding the school, the school has to follow the government rules and regulations. If we can change the NCLB laws, it would make things MUCH better for both the public schools AND deaf schools--they are truly a waste of instructional time and they are definitely NOT doing what they are meant to do--schools are NOT getting better because of standardized testing, they are getting WORSE!!

People on this board have recommended several deaf schools that they feel are the "best" schools--I imagine that all of the "best" ones have more money to spend on students than all of the schools considered to be "the worst". From what I can see, it really is all about money. Yes, other factors can enter into the equation, but, overall: the more money a school has to spend on students, the better--the more they spend on classes, teachers, supplies and materials, extracurricular activities, etc., the better the school. We just want our kids to have access to the best education possible--many of us cannot afford tuition to send our kids to private schools, so we are left with government run schools to choose from. And when comparing government-run schools, whether regular schools or deaf schools, it does seem that money is the main factor in how "good" a school seems to be. BTW--I have heard people mention a private deaf school called St. Rita's, but are there others? I know about the oral deaf schools--NONE of them have high school! When it comes to choosing the best high school for your deaf child, there just aren't many options: your local public school, the local public school with deaf/hh programs, the state-run deaf school, or the rare private deaf school(how many are there?). If you don't like these options, you have to move to a place that has better options--or your child is just out of luck. Right now, we know where our daughter would get the best education, but moving her there is turning out to be a very difficult thing to do. We are trying--we'll keep you posted!

Deborah..........I know you're really looking into FSDB.....and that's an awesome option......but what about looking into Model Secondary School for the Deaf?(in DC) It would remove the issue about moving............Any kids from the fifty states can attend MSSD. It's hoh friendly too.............
On the other hand......if you do have your heart set on FSDB, you can always move into a motel room somewhere in Florida......and not one of those Disney ones.......just an idea!

Back