Deaf school

jdharrawood

Reaction score
Hello!!

I am looking for school that teach use sign language and oral both since My friend wants her son to be able to talk and read lips also sign language too.

So let me know which school you go and they do both of them thanks

Maryland School for the Deaf has now incorportated Spoken English into the curriculm to meet the number of students with cochlear implants. Also, it still uses ASL. I dont know about other deaf schools.

Maryland School for the Deaf

click on MSD's Parent/Student's Handbook regarding to Spoken English use in the classroom.

In IL, there's ASL class at IL school for the Deaf in Jacksonville.

WOOHOO!!!!! Well, my best advice is to of course contact the Deaf school. We dhh kids really need Deaf specific intervention. Secondly contact oral programs. Unfortunatly the private oral programs are really the only ones that produce students with really good spoken language. It's the private school effect in other words. A good idear might be to do a split placement. Like a couple of days at the Deaf School/program and then a couple of days at the Oral school/program. Contact IL Assocation of the Deaf....they may have a mentor program where dhh/coda adults come to your house to serve as mentors and teach the family ASL/SEE.

wisconsin school for the deaf is good at lesat for me anyway i graduated from there i sign and speak both alike

wisconsin school for the deaf is good at lesat for me anyway i graduated from there i sign and speak both alike

WSD? They have very shitty "bi bi" philosphy bullshit. bi bi my ass, they don't like it when you voice at all.

And I remember clearly many students telling a certain student to "shut the fuck up" whenever she used her voice along with signing! :eek3: And I was raked over the coals for not being ASL enough.

Fuck WSD.

My son attended St. Rita School for the Deaf in Cincinnati. They use more of a TC approach, and have both Deaf instructors and hearing instrutors. For students with CI and an amount of residual hearing to warrant speech training, it is available. They have students from as far away a Iran and Africa, as well as several out-of-state students. Kids can attend as residential or day students. They also cooperate with a couple of public high schools that offer sign language as a foreign language, which allows the Deaf kids interaction with hearing students, and hearing students interaction with Deaf students. It is a Catholic school serving age 3-21, but being a Catholic is not a requirement for admission. They also have several parent support groups, a soccer team, a baseball team, a volley ball team, and a golf team and compete with several hearing schools athletically. They offer a wide range of extracurricular activites including signed theater productions and signing choir. They also do things such as Silent Dinners open to the general public, and contract with a movie theater to have Closed Caption films that have just been released shown for the older students. My son loved it there, and I was very pleased with the education he recieved, as well as the social skills he developed.

Back