Deaf School

Frisky Feline

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeA7JateNd0]Deaf School - YouTube[/ame]

They have good experiences in attending the Deaf School. In the mainstream, some of the Deaf had some interpreters but later did not show up and left them in the dark. But in the Deaf school, they learned a lot and easy to understand what they want to learn and also being able to communicate with Deaf students. They have ASL teachers to sign to them on what they want to learn. Deaf schools rocks. The last person in the video want to know if he will be the last one probably not going to Deaf school. He want to go just like me when I want to go but won't let me go into the Deaf school. I had to stayed in the mainstream school with no ASL interpreters. I was mad at the hearing people who don't listen to my needs. ASL rocks. Deaf schools are important (no oral-only method). ASL is a must.

This was an awesome video! :ty: FF for posting it.

Basically, it is talking about how school was "ok" for them while growing up, and then they transferred to a Deaf school, and "wow" how wonderful the experience was at the Deaf school.

They have good experiences in attending the Deaf School. In the mainstream, some of the Deaf had some interpreters but later did not show up and left them in the dark. But in the Deaf school, they learned a lot and easy to understand what they want to learn and also being able to communicate with Deaf students. They have ASL teachers to sign to them on what they want to learn. Deaf schools rocks. The last person in the video want to know if he will be the last one probably not going to Deaf school. He want to go just like me when I want to go but won't let me go into the Deaf school. I had to stayed in the mainstream school with no ASL interpreters. I was mad at the hearing people who don't listen to my needs. ASL rocks. Deaf schools are important (no oral-only method). ASL is a must.

Basically, it is talking about how school was "ok" for them while growing up, and then they transferred to a Deaf school, and "wow" how wonderful the experience was at the Deaf school.

Thank you for explaining what the Deaf school video was all about. :D

Luckily, I grasped most of the signing, even tho' I'm not fluent.....brought back memories of the time I spent at NCSD which was very short, but memorable!

Odd though, that deaf schools would put out a video about the virtues of deaf schools and not caption it.

That's the point! Its like where Hearing people are forced to figure out by watching Deaf only without caption to give them an idea what it is like for Deaf to watch hearing shows without caption. KUDO!

I am 100% Deaf school student. Never in mainstream, and have NO regret.

Odd though, that deaf schools would put out a video about the virtues of deaf schools and not caption it.

That's the point! Its like where Hearing people are forced to figure out by watching Deaf only without caption to give them an idea what it is like for Deaf to watch hearing shows without caption. KUDO!

I am 100% Deaf school student. Never in mainstream, and have NO regret.

And my point is that they are making a pretty bad point. Just my opinion. One of the main complaints about deaf school (valid or not) is that they are not inclusive. A video without captions reinforces that point.

I did not try to watch it; but would think that they would want to reach the hearing parents of deaf students. Not many of those parents are going to know ASL at the start of their search at least.

I tried to watch it, but I could not keep up. I think Jane made a good point about hearing parents of a deaf child. I read somewhere that only about 10% of hearing parents learn sign language. Does any one know if that is accurate? As a mother, I can't imagine not doing everything possible to communicate with my child....

I have a friend who went to Texas School's summer program, and she has decided to transfer!

Wow..I felt the same as those who grew up mainstreamed. How in a mainstreamed environment, I had low confidence, couldn't be creative, and etc until I went to Gallaudet and just wow!

I love how the ending symbolizes society's lack of empathy for Deaf schools.

In general, I'm happy to see ASL videos without captioning. I don't think everything has to be accessible to people who don't sign.

But certain pieces of information really need to be out there. I want to see deaf schools survive. I want parents to understand how good they can be for their deaf children. I want as many people as possible in society at large to understand what a great thing deaf schools can be, and to support their survival in a political sense. So I feel like that message needs to go out to everyone, including people who don't sign (for the politically-motivated reason: there are so *many* people who don't sign).

Personally, I enjoyed watching the video, because I'm always looking for receptive practice, plus I thought it was a good message. And captions can be annoying when someone is signing: when you express a signed message in English, you change it, and I'd rather be able to focus on the original message in its original language. (No offense to the wonderful terps out there. I don't mean that the meaning is compromised, just that I value nuances in language.) I don't like to see the English and get the message before I've had a chance to try to understand the signing. So if I just focus on my own personal interests, yeah, cool, no captions. But if I back away from myself for a minute, I think this would be a good video to make very accessible, because that could benefit the Deaf community.

I think that Joshua Beckman agrees - if you follow the link to youtube and read his comments, he says he's working with ASLized to create a voice-over and captioning.

Serenity girl: you might be right, but that 10% jumped out at me as the percentage of deaf children born to deaf parents. I've never seen stats on what percentage of hearing parents to deaf kids learn to sign. (Definitely not counting the very un-scientific poll I created about that here.)

Most television advertisements, news online video, etc does not have caption at all. Deal with that.

Why you joined to alldeaf.com and complained about no caption for Deaf video? :roll:

Learn how to ASL.
http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi

I think that both TXgolfer and I are trying to make the same point. See the quote of my earlier post below. I am not doubting the advantages to the kids but it is usually the parents that chose where their kid(s) will go to school.

Also, the things that The Highlander mentioned have sound making them understandable to the hearing parents that don't know ASL.

I did not try to watch it; but would think that they would want to reach the hearing parents of deaf students. Not many of those parents are going to know ASL at the start of their search at least.

I just found out though FCC that captions are required for either English or Spanish spoken. There is no caption requirements by FCC for ASL as main language in video, plus the video is shorter than 10 minutes, therefore exempted from caption requirement. Even if video is made at home is not required to have captions.

Closed Captioning on Television | FCC.gov

I'm not fluent at all, so :ty:Bebonang and AC for explaining. I'm very happy that Frisky posted it and I watched it anyway before I looked for an explanation.

I considered things and think this way - I think it's important for people to have a perspective that differs from what is regarded as "average/typical/majority" and part of that is to see things outside of oneself. I think a hearing parent could benefit by looking at that video and see how they don't understand what those kids are discussing and feeling left out because -for once, they are not the "majority" - and at the same time see their own children in the faces of those students in the clip, and maybe at that point, they can get a glimmer of both what their children experience daily as well as what their kids could have instead.

I know from experience how it from a very young age, is to be on the outside, looking in at one's peers, and not understand or be part of something - NOT because of something change-able, like one's clothes or something, but because of simply how someone just is - inside.

Back