Deaf Protest, Washington, DC., Sept. 6-9

There's nothing negative about his comment. First- he isn't directing that comment to protesters- it's solely his opinion. He isn't saying "Don't have any protests" but rather setting up a protest and having is not totally going to solve the issues at hand- it feels like many of the protesters think that holding the protest(s) will fix these issues. It's going to take a LOT more than just a protest walking down the street. It's a start though.

I'm not sure how people who 'aren't ADers' going to see his posts unless somebody (you?) directs them to the forum as guests. Doubt many will have an opinion one way or another or 'look down' on him or snub him- maybe they will but I doubt that will affect Foxrac very much. You're already doing that by looking down on those who aren't attending the protests or still have questions or want more information about the protests.

:ty:

There are many deaf people on FB but AD forum is niche and I found many AD members are more civil than FB members, also it is easy job for moderators on AD forum as well with no favoritism.

There's nothing negative about his comment. First- he isn't directing that comment to protesters- it's solely his opinion. He isn't saying "Don't have any protests" but rather setting up a protest and having is not totally going to solve the issues at hand- it feels like many of the protesters think that holding the protest(s) will fix these issues. It's going to take a LOT more than just a protest walking down the street. It's a start though.

I'm not sure how people who 'aren't ADers' going to see his posts unless somebody (you?) directs them to the forum as guests. Doubt many will have an opinion one way or another or 'look down' on him or snub him- maybe they will but I doubt that will affect Foxrac very much. You're already doing that by looking down on those who aren't attending the protests or still have questions or want more information about the protests.
All you did in this post was BLAH! Those members of this forum who think that the protest is not a good idea will be looked down. Know why? What is the name of this website that we are in? ALLDEAF.COM The key word is ALLDEAF. Lets work together. Please don't think that you are better than them. They have rights to protest.

Everyone has a right to protest... at the same time they need to have a clear information and what's at stake. Certainly people have questions about the protest/demonstration. Some are questioning the leader among other things.

Everyone has questions and some times there's no straight answer.

All you did in this post was BLAH! Those members of this forum who think that the protest is not a good idea will be looked down. Know why? What is the name of this website that we are in? ALLDEAF.COM The key word is ALLDEAF. Lets work together. Please don't think that you are better than them. They have rights to protest.

Please don't think that you are better than them. They have rights to protest.

(not that you'll see this anytime soon...)

You don't know me too well do you? I never said or think that I am better than anyone else. Yes they have a right to protest- go for it. But you are of the opinion that people don't have the right to question or even not support the protest. That's just as bad. As I have already said 13934525 times... I'm all for the protest- I think it's good people want to. What I am NOT for is how the leaders handled questions or concerns about the protest and the poor planning of it.

The Key word is ALLDEAF yes-- but like in any other community or group- there is ALWAYS going to be some disagreement. There's no such thing as an utopia. Best we can do is work towards solidarity but there's gonna be a lot of bumps in the road. Always will be.

She is referencing CrazyPaul.

Interesting. The Audism part I get- no issue with that as that is a big problem. But the CI? If there is to be solidarity in the deaf community, ALL deaf need to be included (as the young lady said in the video I posted)- those deaf with CI are being marginalized with this next protest. There are quite a few deaf teens/adults with CI who do have ASL as their primary language. One of the former Gallaudet Art professors was one of them. Now if they are talking about babies/children being implanted- I can see why they are against it (even though it's the parents' responsibility not other people). Better direction would be to create outreach programs to these parents to encourage the addition of ASL to the child's education/learning.

found facebook post about AFA Rally 2015 - Oct 15-17, 2015. https://www.facebook.com/ASLEvents/...2393962491962/948344208563598/?type=1&theater

So, basically they're going to be protesting at this conference being held by the American Cochlear Implant Alliance at that hotel on those dates: http://www.ci2015dc.org/events/ci-2015-symposium/custom-18-4bdf462ac7594bc69980161defb888c1.aspx

To be honest, I don't see how this protest will be effective, and here's why: Registration for the conference is closed, so none of the protestors will be able to get in to the conference and they'll have to protest outside the hotel on public property. Anybody passing by on the sidewalk who sees the protestors isn't going to know there's a cochlear implant conference going on inside the hotel and/or why there are cochlear implant protestors outside this particular hotel.

The people attending the conference (audiologists, speech pathologists, doctors, educators, etc.) have each paid hundreds of dollars to attend and travel to it, and are therefore likely in favor of cochlear implants, so their minds are already made up. It's likely that many of the attendees are staying overnight at the hotel (except for any attendees who live within a short drive of the hotel) and they probably won't leave the conference during the day to go outside (except maybe for smoke breaks), so they won't even realize that there's a cochlear implant protest outside. The attendees will be too busy attending workshops, networking with other people, eating lunch, looking at exhibits, etc.

Because the cochlear implant companies who are sponsoring the conference won't see/hear the protest and won't be influenced by it (because they obviously already support cochlear implants), and because the conference attendees who have paid hundreds of dollars to be there won't see/hear the protest, and because people walking by on the sidewalk won't be aware of the connection between the protest and the conference going on inside the hotel, who are the protestors hoping to influence? Obviously the protestors don't support cochlear implants, but the presenters and people at this conference believe in cochlear implants, or else they wouldn't be there. I'm curious what the protestors think they can accomplish or demonstrate that is going to change the outcome of the conference or change the minds of the people at the conference. It's not open to the general public, and it doesn't seem that people who make policies/laws are going to be there. It's not likely to be covered by the media, so most people won't even know the protest happened.

Protests are fine, but I just don't see how this one is going to make a difference.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if someone already posted. If it did, I apologized.

I just saw something on Facebook.

http://www.deafvideo.tv/416711

Sorry, no subtitle or cc.

He has some good points. (no- you are the first to post it)

I wonder though just how quickly some people will think change will happen? It's going to take a lot more than just protests- and I still find it odd that it was done on a holiday weekend. I am sure there were/are people who are 'negative'/saying it wasn't a success but there are also quite a few who do think the ideas behind the protest were solid but still had questions- and as I understand it the leaders would not answer them (and turned around and did the same as they accused others of being- 'negative talk').

Time will tell.

Last edited:
This guy expressed exactly what I was feeling/trying to say! Curious to know what other questions he has.

I have no idea what to make of that 'draft bill'....

That guy just half-summed it up on why the protest wasn't too successful and why some of us doesn't exactly support the protest.

And...

Ah yes, that 'bill' they wrote few weeks ago before the deaf protest happened which some of us mentioned where ALL THE JOBS are REQUIRED to hire the deaf people first even if they're under-qualified...

Uhh yeah... Most of us knew it's not going to happen...

Not to mention... That is not how you write the bill... plus grammar in the 'draft' bill is horrible... No wonder why some deaf people couldn't get a job! The 'so-called' leaders in the recent deaf protest KNOW nothing about how government, congress, and pretty much almost everything related with politics work.

He has some good points. (no- you are the first to post it)

I wonder though just how quickly some people will think change will happen? It's going to take a lot more than just protests- and I still find it odd that it was done on a holiday weekend. I am sure there were/are people who are 'negative'/saying it wasn't a success but there are also quite a few who do think the ideas behind the protest were solid but still had questions- and as I understand it the leaders would not answer them (and turned around and did the same as they accused others of being- 'negative talk').

Time will tell.

I think it'll take a time to improve future protests, whenever. But, as Tar put it, we're current generation now, so it kinda makes sense. If we don't do anything to help, who knows what happen then?

It seems our future Deaf generations doesn't matter or something...

Well, I don't think that protest will success but I see some protesters do have point. Future generations might be stuck with SSI if their education is not worthy for them to be hired, then, well, I don't think it would matter.

I know I'm not much optimist for future generations. So... :dunno:

That guy just half-summed it up on why the protest wasn't too successful and why some of us doesn't exactly support the protest.

And...

Ah yes, that 'bill' they wrote few weeks ago before the deaf protest happened which some of us mentioned where ALL THE JOBS are REQUIRED to hire the deaf people first even if they're under-qualified...

Uhh yeah... Most of us knew it's not going to happen...

Not to mention... That is not how you write the bill... plus grammar in the 'draft' bill is horrible... No wonder why some deaf people couldn't get a job! The 'so-called' leaders in the recent deaf protest KNOW nothing about how government, congress, and pretty much almost everything related with politics work.

Your mistaken in red font, it DOES happen, usually in government jobs. If you go down to DC area, and ask any of Deafies down there see what kind of job they got? You will likely notice high number working for US government.

Your mistaken in red font, it DOES happen, usually in government jobs. If you go down to DC area, and ask any of Deafies down there see what kind of job they got? You will likely notice high number working for US government.

That's only for the U.S. government related, yes... However, the bill they wrote basically wanted ALL jobs to hire the deaf people first even if they're under-qualified, so it's why it's not going to happen.

Hmm so all those times I've applied for government jobs.. and I got squat back?
There may be a high number of Deaf in government jobs but they aren't REQUIRED to hire- they hire based on application info, skill and experience.

Yeah... Have heard both good and bad from various people about getting or not getting government jobs though. (Like every other industry though- including IT).

Can anyone give me the hard source that 75% unemployed are Deaf? I find it hard to believe. To me, it's like less 25% Deaf are unemployee here in Texas who I knew. I wouldn't count on Deaf student and disability (more than just deaf).

Can anyone give me the hard source that 75% unemployed are Deaf? I find it hard to believe. To me, it's like less 25% Deaf are unemployee here in Texas who I knew. I wouldn't count on Deaf student and disability (more than just deaf).

I do not think viable information is out there on that because the deaf are lumped with a whole host of other disabilities. It they say, for example, the unemployment rate of the disabled is 18 percent, I highly doubt that's the rate for the deaf for a number of reasons, especially during a long and nasty economic downturn.

Long story short, we know that corporate America constantly complains about how expensive interpreters are and during this recent bad economy, many companies boldly increased their discrimination toward the deaf. So why not have the Feds pay the national interpreting bill just as they support the VRS system? Costly, sure but we would probably all of a sudden have friendly-toward-us employers? In due time the SSI rolls would be reduced, etc, etc...

Crazy idea???? You decide.....

It COULD happen, it did happened with black people, what it is called "Affirmative action", I tried to apply for a job at RIT, since I am too white, they decided hire ethic people, and different color to meet the requirement to prove there isn't any discrimination, RIT is PRIVATE college, not public. I was lucked out of that job just because I am white. They do prefer Deaf yes, but more than that.

What I was seeing this as potential incentives to get employers giving Deafies a chance to prove them of their doubts.

Buddy, you and I are Deaf, we know what is like to be Dead Deaf, right? ... give positive attitude for a change, never know if it would impact you.

That's only for the U.S. government related, yes... However, the bill they wrote basically wanted ALL jobs to hire the deaf people first even if they're under-qualified, so it's why it's not going to happen.

Back