Deaf Professionals

I'm glad someone resurected this thread. It's very interesting and enlightening to read about so many successful deaf people out there.

deaf professional

WOW COOL!!!

I know there is more deaf professionals but I can't think who. Ummm!
Ummmmm, ME! Look at Exceptional nurse.com
look for the calendar, Month of October, see deaf operating room nurse.That would be me.

any one can be a professional....

Yup. At this point, the d/hh has done it all, from telecommunication to medical doctor. No excuses, especially with rights for the D/hh that will help support anyone get through the bumpy road to a career. The rest is on you. Just takes a lot of commitments, dedication, work and knowledge that stands out of a lot of people. The latter is critically important as of today since companies, firms, employers, etc., are looking for the best people with potential. Ones that are thought of to change everything for good.

Can we do that?

"For every 50 people, one gets in (the career/job)." Good quote and a reminder for anyone to work harder.

"When you're sleeping, I'm working. When you're working, I'm working harder" another great quote. :)

Alright...now, for deaf scientists, mathematicans, and engineers...here's the list I found by googling!

Deaf Scientists - by Scientific Field

It would be nice to have known more deafies in those areas when I was growing up, especially for role models, but I didn't know any =/ And so far, I only met one deaf civil engineer and one deaf statistician recently.

This is a really good thread and I'm so glad that some new life is being breathed into it. I hope to read about some more inspiring deaf people in the future.:applause:

Cyril Axelrod - a Deafblind priest

It was BecLak who told me about this inspiring person, Cyril Axelrod. Cyril was born deaf in a Jewish family. He later became a Roman Catholic priest and worked with the deaf communities in South Africa. As he got older he began to lose his sight as a result of Usher Syndrome. Cyril continues to work, speaking around the globe. He can communicate in 15 languages. He was the first Deafblind RC priest in the world.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX9CEu4AvR4]YouTube - Hands On Season 15 Programme 8 - Deaf Sign Language Subtitled[/ame]

Role model... I don't have any. :(

Maybe some from sports, but that doesn't really count...

:wave: The Oracle

am glad you posted the Jewish deaf links; I'm glad for both the rabbis there-
I haven't been on the JDCC site in a while and I appreciated reading them.

The article as it's written in that New Jersey paper seems audist to me....

I think it would be useful if Cong.B.K in new Jersey could offer some ASL classes or more ASL-focused, as I looked at the site more closely, I did notice that that newspaper article stated it was a hearing congregation.

I need to search find search professional English best I search google I think so suggest to important to professional sound great I want to development to improve!

:wave: The Oracle

am glad you posted the Jewish deaf links; I'm glad for both the rabbis there-
I haven't been on the JDCC site in a while and I appreciated reading them.

The article as it's written in that New Jersey paper seems audist to me....

I think it would be useful if Cong.B.K in new Jersey could offer some ASL classes or more ASL-focused, as I looked at the site more closely, I did notice that that newspaper article stated it was a hearing congregation.

Hey lady! :wave: I know of no deaf congregation in the US right now since deafness has decreased so much. I never thought of it. :o

This thread totally made me smile! I was in pre-med back in 2001 and was going to go all the way to med school but dropped out due to the death of my mother that same year and then was told because I was Deaf it'd be difficult to get accepted into med school. Well, according to what's on here yes, it's difficult but you just have to push through it and do it.

I may just get my butt back in school. The sethoscope is a very cool feature and what's to stop me but myself? Thanks for the thread!

As for what kind of doctor...I wanted to go into genetics. My Deafness is genetic so the reason is a personal one. I'm passionate about stem cell research too I think there could be a cure for Deafness in the future and would love to be a part of discovering it. I want to meet this doctor! To the one who is a patient of his please tell him next time you see him that his story has deeply inspired me to continue on with my dream I abandoned so many years ago!

Thanks again for the thread :)

I personally met Mathew Moore, I work with him back in 1983 I think, it's the day that publishing Deaf Life was born. I work with him short time before I got distracted with other career, of being teacher for NTID and RIT.

I also personally met Patrick Graybill and Robert Panara, and both Hlibok brothers and Kilby Brick. The closet person that I hang out with is Robert Panara. He's a great guy. I was there for his 90th birthday last year.

As someone posted above "anyone can be professional", which I agree but from what I seeing of all the successful deaf people it sounded like for all deaf person who made it with very unique jobs, or finally made it into 6 digits salary. Like being a Dr, that is rare and you don't see many like that. I applause them for working hard to become successful. Like me, working with computer technology for over 30 years, I pushing myself to strive for success and finally made it into 6 digits salary. Being Management Information Systems dealing with wide range of OS'es, networking infractures, military and police forces security and budget approval. It's an private cyber security work force.

It's not an easy tasks, but just have to get involved reading various information related to computer technologies. The more I read it the more I get brain-storming idea to provide what we need for the company. And last, just have to be brave to make a bold approach to my idea to the company. You know when I was younger, I was intimidate by all the hearing professional because of me being deaf and I learn to break the ice, I just want to let them see me as just human being with a great intelligent. Regardless what type of disability we have. It's the brain, my mind that I can provide the company's success. It's not about my disability, it's about my intelligence and I can do what I learn from something and show it to them.

Reading every day is critical, it give me more food for thought, I just fatten my brain... The more I climbed the ladder, my brain getting thinner. You know? I know sound strange but that what I see myself because I finally made it to the top and I can relax...whew.... you know?

That my personal experience with success....

The first deaf professionals to come to my mind are the assortment of actors, deaf teachers of the deaf, Evelyn Glennie, Kathy Buckley, Beethoven, Matt Hamill, Keith Nolan, some deaf chiro from Ohio (I forget his name), Sue Thomas, Lou Ferrigno, and so on.

In a few years, I will be adding myself to the deaf scientists section :) I am going into Medical Laboratory Science at UNH this fall.

The first deaf professionals to come to my mind are the assortment of actors, deaf teachers of the deaf, Evelyn Glennie, Kathy Buckley, Beethoven, Matt Hamill, Keith Nolan, some deaf chiro from Ohio (I forget his name), Sue Thomas, Lou Ferrigno, and so on.

In a few years, I will be adding myself to the deaf scientists section :) I am going into Medical Laboratory Science at UNH this fall.

yay! congrats! :cheers:

Nice!! Congratulations! I want to add myself somewhere... just picking all the puzzle pieces up for now.

Back