Deaf Professionals

IslandGal

Reaction score
I thought I'd create a thread with some stories about how some Deaf people became successful with becoming a professional in a career. If any of you have a story of any Deaf Professionals whether it is a doctor, nurse, dentist, pilot, etc then please feel free to post it in here :)

Here is a story about a Deaf man who became a doctor.

http://www.amphl.org/articles/arndorfer2001.html

The supercharged stethoscope hanging from his neck and the high-tech heartbeat detector in his bag give Dr. Mike McKee an air of the physician of the future.

But the instruments really are just tools to help McKee, who is deaf, be the old-fashioned kind of doctor he wants to be.

"I really have compassion for patients, and enthusiasm for medicine," said the cheery 25-year-old, who officially becomes Dr. McKee this morning during commencement ceremonies for the University of Florida's College of Medicine.

"With deaf patients, a big problem is communication," he said. "Since I have a disability myself, I see that as a talent that allows me to understand people with disabilities better and helps me reach out to them."

For McKee, the four demanding years of medical school presented special challenges. They began even before he became the first deaf person to be admitted into UF's College of Medicine.

"I started thinking about medicine at the end of my junior year," said McKee, who has a genetic condition that caused him to be born profoundly deaf, but who communicates easily by lip-reading and signing. "But I wondered, can I do it? Can I be a good doctor being deaf?"

Others wondered the same thing, even some members of the medical school faculty.

"There was some discouragement," he said. "Some people asked why I would even think about it, that I would only have a big letdown later if I didn't make it."

Dr. Siegfried Schmidt initially was a skeptic. McKee worked with Schmidt for six weeks at the West Oaks Family Health Center, a Gainesville training site for UF medical students.

"My first reaction when he came to work with us was this can't be - no way," said Schmidt, clinical assistant professor in the Department of Community Health and Family Medicine at West Oaks. "But as you got to know him, Mike came across as someone with a special sense for patient needs. How he communicated with patients just blew my mind. Patients often opened up to him in a way I have not seen."

Signs of determination

McKee, who earned his undergraduate degree from Lynn University in Boca Raton, where he grew up, said he appreciated the reality check from the skeptics. But he listened to his heart, and today he will walk across the silent stage of the Center for the Performing Arts to accept his doctor of medicine degree.

Along with his family, in the audience will be Lani Crosby, a professional interpreter for the deaf who helped serve as McKee's ears during his final two years in med school.

"I would never have been able to do it without her help," McKee said. "I'd have been shortchanged in the amount of information I was able to get."

When McKee took the surgery rotation of clinical training, Crosby was in the operating room with him. With everyone wearing a mask, he couldn't read lips and depended on her signing to keep him up on what was going on.

Crosby went on rounds with him. McKee can converse easily with one or two people, but when several students and a doctor were talking, often at once, it was difficult for him to follow along reading lips. Crosby was there to sign for him.

When he worked one-on-one with patients, she was with them in the examining room.

"I'm hoping (today) they'll give me a degree," Crosby said with a laugh.

"She should," McKee said. "She got a very good education."

During McKee's third year, Crosby alternated working with him with two other interpreters, Debbie Weinhert and Hank Reidelberger. Crosby was his primary interpreter during his fourth year, being on call whenever needed and, in her off-hours, studying medical terminology critical to her client's education.

"I have medical books by my bed," said Crosby, 33, a mother of two young daughters.

As a freelance interpreter in private practice, she works with deaf people from preschool to medical school, in doctors' offices and in the courts. She also teaches signing to children and adults at Santa Fe Community College.

The UF medical school picks up the cost of interpreter services for students who need them.

Just in the past year, Crosby worked with McKee for more than 2,000 hours. When he worked 110 hours one week during his pediatrics rotation, Crosby was there much of the time.

"We're like brother and sister at this point," she said.

Beating the odds

McKee, whose speech is easily understood, said patients have always accepted him immediately.

"I can't think of one patient who was hesitant with me," he said.

Crosby said McKee was being characteristically modest.

"You don't know how many times I was pulled aside and the patient said, 'He's going to make the best doctor,' " she said.

Unlike the last two years of medical school, which are spent working with patients, the first two are mostly in the classroom. McKee usually had no interpreter then, so he always explained his situation to the professors and asked them to help him read their lips by facing the class.

They usually complied, he said, although sometimes they'd forget and speak while turned around and writing on the blackboard. Occasionally, they'd walk up the stairs of the lecture hall, causing him to crane his neck to try and see them talk.

The first year, he said, he felt he had to prove himself to his professors, classmates and himself. "I had to get over the fear that maybe I was not able to do the job," McKee said.

That notion changed in his second year.

"I felt like I had something special to offer," he said. "Yes, I'm deaf, but by being deaf I can focus on certain aspects of medicine where others might not be able to do as well."

That often was demonstrated in the clinic.

"When I was doing my pediatrics rotation, there was this little boy who had had all his extremities amputated, a result of a medical condition that led to blockage of blood," he said.

"It was sort of like I had a special bond with him because of the hardships I knew he was going to experience because of his disability."

Once, while he was finishing up a suture job in the emergency room at Shands at AGH, a doctor grabbed him and took him to a deaf patient who couldn't read lips but understood sign language.

"The doctor had me get the patient's history by sign language," McKee said. "It was really gratifying because it put it all together."

Dr. Robert Hatch, who was on the medical school's admissions committee when McKee's application came in, said he was impressed from the first interview with him.

"He said, 'I really want to make a difference with (the hearing impaired) population,' " said Hatch, associate professor of community health and family medicine. "I think he's going to have a very important impact on the care of people with hearing disabilities.

"Mike's deafness has increased his compassion, I think, and made him more sensitive than people who haven't had to struggle with something like that," Hatch said.

The right decision

Early on, McKee learned that the technology was available to help him be a doctor. It includes a stethoscope equipped with a hearing aid and an amplifier that pumps up sounds to decibels loud enough to hear respiratory functions.

Also, there's a "graphic auscultation system," the size of a portable phone, that allows heartbeats to be seen instead of heard.

But it was certain people who really motivated him.

As part of his training, McKee worked in a special clinic in Rochester, N.Y., where a third of the patients were deaf.

Working with a deaf physician, Dr. Carolyn Stern, and Dr. Timothy Malia, who hears but is versed in signing, he realized he'd made the right decision.

"They were inspirational," said McKee, who is on the board of the American Medical Professionals with Hearing Loss, a year-old education and outreach organization.

In June, he heads to a hospital in Columbia, S.C., to begin a three-year residency. Beyond that, he's looking at going into family medicine and eventually working with people with disabilities.

"I see myself in two roles," Dr. McKee said, "being a physician, and educating other physicians and maybe helping them better understand people with disabilities."

WOW! Dr. McKee is MY doctor!!! I mean me, my son and my bf's doctor. He's such a sweet man! Also we had Dr. Stern for few years till she resigned to somewhere else I am not sure excatly. Both are great doctors.
]

Here is another story.

http://www.helpkidshear.org/news/media/2003/2003-09-23-roch.htm

Ob-gyn resident at Strong hailed for communication

By Greg Livadas
Rochester Democrat & Chronicle Staff writer

(September 23, 2003) — Dr. Angela Earhart is in the middle of a 15-hour shift at Strong Memorial Hospital’s obstetrics unit when she takes a call from a patient at home, complaining of pain.

“Have you been able to eat anything?” she asks the patient. “Is the pain worse than yesterday?”

Earhart, 28, looks to Kim Kelstone, not for advice, but to find out what the answers are.

Kelstone, a sign language interpreter who is wearing a headset and is listening in on the conversation, signs the patient’s answers, and Earhart immediately asks her next question into the phone receiver.

It may be an unorthodox phone conversation, but it is second nature to Earhart, who is one of perhaps 40 deaf physicians in the country.

“So far, I haven’t found anything I can’t do,” Earhart said. “There may be certain challenges to face, but I always find ways to overcome them. I compensate through the use of interpreters, lip reading, special equipment and having an open personality and a strong desire to do my best.”

A native of Des Moines, Iowa, Earhart — who said her grandfather was a distant cousin of aviatrix Amelia Earhart — was born profoundly deaf to a hearing family who fought for opportunities for her.

“They instilled the belief in me that I can do anything and encouraged me to be involved and do things as any average child would do,” Earhart said.

She had interpreters throughout college and graduated from Duke University in North Carolina with a bachelor’s degree in biology, spent a year in research medicine at Baylor University in Waco, Texas, then enrolled at the University of Texas Medical School at Houston, from which she graduated. In June, she was featured in a medical reality television show, Houston Medical.

In medical school, she thought she would be a family practice physician. It wasn’t until her fourth year that she decided to become an obstetrician and gynecologist.

Lingering doubts

“I wasn’t sure if it was really possible,” she said. “It was something I knew I wanted to do, but I didn’t know if it was possible. I was scared to death of being in the operating room. How was I going to be able to communicate?”

In June 2002, she married Gabriel Ianculovici, a native of Romania who works as a sign language interpreter.

“He’s pretty good about bringing food and coffee every night,” Earhart said. “It’s nice to know he’s always there.”

It was encouragement from her husband that helped Earhart decide she could do anything her hearing peers could do, even if it meant doing it in a different way.

“I really enjoy working with women and the miracle of life,” she said. “I like the diversity of ob-gyn — clinic, surgery and a little of primary care. I enjoy doing hands-on in the (operating room). I also enjoy the challenge of high-risk obstetrics.”

During college, Earhart spent a month on clinical rotation with Dr. Carolyn Stern, now a private practice physician in Brighton. Stern is also deaf.

“She wanted to make sure first that Rochester was the place she wanted to be and secondly, that she could handle the office setting,” Stern said. “She’s a really neat person, I really like her. I think she’ll do well in whatever she does.”

In the little spare time she has, Earhart enjoys traveling and remodeling her home near the hospital. She will be at Strong until her residency ends in June 2006. After that, she doesn’t know where she will live.

A small club

Stern, who for years was the only deaf physician in the area, would happily welcome Earhart as the second deaf physician in town if she decides to make Rochester her home after her residency. “I don’t think there’s enough, personally,” Stern said.

The American Medical Association does not keep track of the number of deaf doctors in the country, but Dr. Kim Dodge, a board member of the Association of Medical Professionals with Hearing Loss, estimates there are at least 40 deaf physicians in the country, most of whom are in residency like Earhart or have completed their residencies within the past five years.

Dodge, who moved to Brighton in July, is a veterinarian at Pittsford Animal Hospital.

Earhart, who can hear some sounds with the help of two powerful hearing aids often covered by her hair or a surgical cap, seems at ease visiting various patients when making her rounds. She immediately identifies herself to her new patients.

“When I first go in I say I have a hearing loss, I have a sign language interpreter and I read lips,” she said. “I’m there to help them and they’re there to get helped.”

Proving herself

Earhart recently checked on Tracy Germonto, of Honeoye Falls, who had delivered a daughter, Shannon, the day before. As Earhart left the room, Germonto signed, “Thank you” to her.

“Deaf awareness in this city is amazing,” Earhart said.

Germonto, who recalled seeing Earhart on television, said she wasn’t surprised to be treated by a deaf doctor because she knew Rochester has a large concentration of deaf residents.

“She was wonderful,” Germonto said. “She’s not only intelligent, but also personable. The hearing was not an issue.”

Kelstone said she’s had patients ask her afterward why she was even there because the patients understood Earhart just fine. They didn’t realize Kelstone was needed to tell Earhart what the patients were saying.

Just as she proves her hearing loss isn’t an issue to her patients, Earhart had to prove it to her co-workers.

Dr. Kara Eastwood, Earhart’s chief resident, recalls easily conversing with Earhart on their first meeting, without an interpreter. “She’s just so communicative,” Eastwood said.

But she admits she initially had reservations about the ability a deaf doctor would have, especially in the operating room where everyone’s focus is on the patient, not on the sign language interpreter dressed in scrubs.

“At first it took some getting used to,” Eastwood said. “She’s an excellent surgeon and excellent at picking up nonverbal cues.”

Strong support

Earhart said Strong has been very supportive in providing whatever assistance she needs to get the job done. Earhart uses a vibrating text pager and an amplified stethoscope, and her interpreter wears a clear surgical mask so her lips can be read in the operating room. She always has an interpreter — usually Kelstone or Deb Cooper — accompany her, and the interpreters usually work in 8-hour shifts. While they have no specific medical training, Kelstone joked she could probably deliver a baby if she is ever stuck in an elevator with an expectant mother.

“She’s becoming family,” Earhart said about Kelstone during a quick submarine sandwich dinner recently.

Strong is paying thousands of dollars for Earhart’s interpreters. It was a cost officials knew would come with Earhart when they accepted her residency.

“Given the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is illegal for any organization to make a decision based on disability as opposed to the merit of an individual,” said Kathy Parrinello, Strong’s chief operating officer.

“It’s the right thing to do. We do eat quite a bit of the cost, but that’s our mission. She was a bright individual. Our responsibility was to make the accommodation. We obviously knew she had that handicap, but it didn’t affect our decision,” Parrinello said. “We chose her based on many factors, including her interview, references, how she did in medical school. She got a high ranking.”

The only time an interpreter isn’t needed is when Earhart can communicate directly to a deaf patient. Several deaf patients have requested her.

“That’s wonderful,” Earhart said. “There is always an advantage when you speak with your patients in their first language. I often find that my deaf patients have many questions that have gone unanswered. They often have misunderstandings that need to be clarified. I feel that for the first time in their lives, the deaf patient can be completely open and obtain the information they need. That’s very rewarding for me, and I think the patients like it, too.”

LakeTahoe said:
WOW! Dr. McKee is MY doctor!!! I mean me, my son and my bf's doctor. He's such a sweet man! Also we had Dr. Stern for few years till she resigned to somewhere else I am not sure excatly. Both are great doctors.
]
Cool!!

ButterflyGirl said:

Yes.. I know of her - and her family.. I have met and spoken with her mom and I have spoken with peers who know her. Actually her mom lives close by me. But keep in mind she is not the STRONG deaf. She didn't grow up in a deaf culture or whatsoever. What I am interested in is articles in those who GREW up in deaf culture - went to deaf schools, deaf Universities and working in the Hearing World.

But great posts though!

DefLord said:
Yes.. I know of her - and her family.. I have met and spoken with her mom and I have spoken with peers who know her. Actually her mom lives close by me. But keep in mind she is not the STRONG deaf. She didn't grow up in a deaf culture or whatsoever. What I am interested in is articles in those who GREW up in deaf culture - went to deaf schools, deaf Universities and working in the Hearing World.

But great posts though!
What matters the most is she did not let her deafness stop her from what she had achieved. This thread is about any deaf professionals whether or not he or she was involved in the deaf culture.

I just thought about bringing this thread up to prove to several deaf people who have been told that they cannot do this or that.

A deaf lawyer

http://clerccenter.gallaudet.edu/WorldAroundYou/sep-oct2001/claudia-gordon.html

The Story of Claudia Gordon

Claudia Lorraine Gordon had a dream—and she made her dream come true. Gordon is an attorney. She works for the National Association of the Deaf (NAD) Law Center, fighting for the rights of deaf people.

Gordon was born in Jamaica, an island in the West Indies. When she was eight years old, she developed a severe pain in her middle ears. There were no towns or big hospitals nearby, so she went to a small health clinic. There were no doctors at the clinic and the nurse did not know what to do. When she went back home, her aunt told her that the nurse believed that she was deaf.

At first Gordon refused to believe that she was deaf. When people talked to her, she read their lips and thought that she heard their voices. She could still “hear in her mind,” she said.

But when they talked behind her back, she heard nothing at all.

Her mother, living in New York, learned about Gordon’s deafness. She brought Gordon to New York to get an education.

Gordon was pleased to go to New York.

In Jamaica, she could not go to school.

“All I did every day was stay home and do laundry,” she remembered.
In New York, she first went to public school. But she could not communicate, so she transferred to Lexington School for the Deaf. At Lexington, she felt better. She started to learn sign language.

“My world opened up,” she said.

She was involved in sports—volleyball, basketball, and track. She was also involved in the Student Body Government. She began to dream about becoming a lawyer.

People didn’t believe she could do it.

“They would give me a little pat on the head,” she said, “and let me keep talking.”

When she graduated, she decided to go to Howard University, a well-known historically black college in Washington, D.C.

“I had found my deaf culture at Lexington,” she said. “I felt I was already proudly deaf. And I wanted to explore my black culture.”

She believes that she was the first deaf undergraduate at Howard. She had to fight to get an interpreter, she said. And she did fight—all the way to the office of the Howard president.

“You have to know your rights,” said Gordon.

She graduated with a degree in political science, worked for a while, then decided to attend law school.

She graduated in 2000.

The work at NAD came soon afterward.

Gordon’s message to deaf students is always the same.

“You can escape,” she says. “If you are a prisoner of other people’s expectations, you can escape. If you are a prisoner of poverty, you can escape.

“You can do it.”

She escaped, she says—and you can, too.

“Attitude is the biggest disability,” she says

But keep in mind she is not the STRONG deaf. She didn't grow up in a deaf culture or whatsoever. What I am interested in is articles in those who GREW up in deaf culture - went to deaf schools, deaf Universities and working in the Hearing World.
Define growing up in the Deaf culture. She uses Sign now, which means she isn't one of those high powered kids who had Auditory Verbal Therapy and therapy 24/7.

A Deaf Professional Golfer

http://clerccenter.gallaudet.edu/WorldAroundYou/2005-10/kevin-hall.html

Deaf Golfer Plays Through on the PGA Tour

When Tiger Woods and other golfers are ready to tee off in the PGA Tour, a marshal yells "Quiet!" The marshal yells because noise distracts the golfers, who have until recently all been hearing.

Kevin Hall, who played in his first PGA Tour event last summer, doesn't have to worry about someone yelling, "Quiet." That's because Kevin became deaf when he was two years old. He communicates with his parents by using sign language. He communicates with his caddie and playing partners by reading lips and typing text messages into his cell phone.

Hall grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio and attended St. Rita School for the Deaf. St. Rita did not have a high school golf team. Hall, who took some classes at nearby Wyoming High School, played on the Wyoming golf team.

After graduating from high school, Hall received an athletic scholarship to Ohio State University (OSU) in Columbus. Hall won several tournaments at OSU, and helped OSU win the Big Ten championship in 2004.

Last summer, Hall’s family received a phone call from the PGA, the Professional Golfers Association. The PGA is the "major leagues" of golf and is famous. Only the best golfers can play in the PGA. The PGA invited Hall to play in one of its tournaments, the U.S. Bank Championship in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Hall was thrilled. He felt that his dream had finally come true.

When Hall played in the Milwaukee tournament, he was amazed at how many fans were cheering for him. A lot of the fans followed Hall from hole to hole and gave him thumbs-up and high-fives. "I felt like I arrived at the big time," he said.

The PGA Tour searched to see if any other deaf golfer had played in the PGA. Their records begin in 1916, and showed that no other deaf golfer had played in the PGA. Hall became the first deaf golfer to ever play on the PGA Tour and Hall's dream came true. "I had dreamed since I teed it up that I was going to play with the big boys," he said. "I continued to dream about it and I wanted it to happen...and it did happen!"

Now Hall hopes to become a regular on the PGA Tour. "It's only a matter of time before I get better and consistent enough to play out there on the PGA Tour," he said.

One of my best friends graduated from RIT with a degree in diagnostic medical sonography and now works in a hospital in Seattle as an ultrasound technician. Both she and her husband are deaf. She's an amazing woman and an inspiration.

I am hoping to enter a program for training to be a medical laboratory technician Sept 2007.

Clap-Hands.gif

I know deaf people CAN DO IT!! WTG Claudia Lorraine Gordon!!!!

ButterflyGirl said:

That's so awesome!!!!!

neecy said:
One of my best friends graduated from RIT with a degree in diagnostic medical sonography and now works in a hospital in Seattle as an ultrasound technician. Both she and her husband are deaf. She's an amazing woman and an inspiration.

I am hoping to enter a program for training to be a medical laboratory technician Sept 2007.

deafdyke said:
Define growing up in the Deaf culture. She uses Sign now, which means she isn't one of those high powered kids who had Auditory Verbal Therapy and therapy 24/7.

Actually she speaks quite well.. ANd if you look at the article it states that people didn't even know she was deaf when they spoke to her - so that proves that she had that. And she didn't associate herself much with the deaf community down here in Houston - but of course she would use sign when she is with her deaf patient - it all makes sense.

:) But I am really proud of her - she is known as the first deaf student in Houston to graduate from the Medical Center here in Houston. And there was supposedly another one that followed behind her.

And also there is Kelby Brick who is also an attorney for NAD as well.

There is also the two brothers who work for Merrill Lynch out in Maryland.

So there are a few out there.

A Real FIRST Deaf teacher!

Well, I have to remind some of you that A Deaf first teacher who is Laurent Clerc. He provided BI BI language for Deaf children s reading and writing that goes all along with ASL and Signed English. It was very successful Deaf teacher in the past so what happened to it nowadays. ;)

Dr. Gerald “Bummy” Burstein

Issue: December 2, 1998 - Vol. 29 No. 8
Gerald ‘Bummy’ Burstein establishes endowed chair in leadership

By Mike Kaika

Renowned alumnus Dr. Gerald “Bummy” Burstein has made a major gift commitment to Gallaudet University’s Capital Campaign. With this gift, Gallaudet will establish “The Bummy Chair: Gerald ‘Bummy’ Burstein ‘50, Endowed Chair in Leadership.”

Burstein’s generous commitment to Gallaudet includes both current and planned gifts. Scholars will be appointed to the Bummy Chair through a competition for a term of two or three years. During their appointment, they will do a project on leadership and will present at least one lecture a semester at Gallaudet. Projects might include, for example, studies on deaf leadership, the development of deaf leadership training programs, or preparation of leadership materials.

Burstein is a prominent and respected leader of the Gallaudet community, the American deaf community, and the international deaf community. He has demonstrated personal and professional leadership through his studies, writings, teaching, and especially parliamentary procedure practices.

In 1996, DawnSignPress published a book, Bummy’s Basic Parliamentary Guide. Burstein’s first booklet on this subject was printed by the Gallaudet University Alumni Association during the mid-1980’s and more than 10,000 copies were distributed. Recently, DawnSignPress released a videotape, “Bummy’s Basic Parliamentary Workshop,” which provides a simple method for learning essential techniques to conduct efficient meetings.

Currently a supervisor of Media Technology Services at the California School for the Deaf, Riverside, Burstein has been a teacher since he graduated from Gallaudet. He taught at the Minnesota School for the Deaf for 15 years and has been at CSDR now for 34 years. “In all the years I have been teaching, I have prepared many students for Gallaudet,” said Burstein. “Being in the education milieu is probably the most rewarding profession you can find, especially when your students become leaders in their own right.”

Burstein has served in a number of organizations in various capacities. One of his most cherished was when he was elected president of the GUAA for three terms—from 1982 to 1992. He then served as immediate past president until 1998 when GUAA members voted Burstein for the presidency again.

Since Burstein is one of the most prominent leaders in his field, he wanted to do something to help the future leaders of the world. “Like many of us, Gallaudet provided me with opportunity, education, and self-esteem,” said Burstein. ‘Without Gallaudet, I doubt very much if I would be where I am today. I want to offer others the chance I had. One of the best ways to do this is to establish a Chair for the study and practice of leadership.”

Burstein’s generous gift to Gallaudet includes a bequest through his estate. Once the endowment reaches the $1 million level, the Bummy Chair will be filled. Like the Bernard Bragg Chair, it may take several years before the endowment is reached, but friends and associates of Burstein are welcomed and encouraged to make contributions to the Bummy Fund.

:) He was with me at my own home. He is such a sweet and brillant guy that I enjoyed to talk with him. I look up to him as Deaf Role Model as well. I had a nice time to get know him personal. I m greatful to meet him.

Thanks! ;)
Sweetmind

Back