Deaf people can't truck driving job?!

RSJokesterX

Reaction score
I works at Fed Ex. One of my good friend who he is hearing, he knows sign language. I asked him about Delivery, he explains what to do so.
I talked to delivery manager who handle delivery/driver. I asked him "can I be delivery someday?" "He said OH YEA! why not?"
I went and talk to my manager about the delivery job. We went to front office and got the paper information. He begins concern, I was puzzled and asked him "what up?" He said "Well... the paper said only you could hear really well because of what article show". So I read and puzzled; it said "hearing aids, have to understand whisper" I was like so I got upset. I just go ahead; went to physical exam.
Doctor seems puzzled and looked at me. He said "can you read my lips?" I said "yea.." he said "Hearing Aids?" I showed him my hearing aids. He said "alright. I will whisper number 1 to 30. Tell me what number alright?" I puzzled and said "ok." He turn back and whisper.... even hardly I can't hear what he whisper. He said "what is the number?" I told him "I can't understand since bit noisy." He said "well you cannot pass, sorry." I was soooo upset.
He said "because of Texas Dots Law." I don't understand why they limitation on deaf people.
I'm wondering why some of jobs limits on deaf people. Why the Texas Dots Law set the laws that people can't even pass.
I wants to hear your suggests, opinions, etc..

thanks
Have fun

Wow that really sucks my younger brother works for a major grocery chain here in Ontario Canada as a transport driver and has a good friend that drives a transport also who is completly deaf. My brother said he is one of the best drivers they have in the 15 years this man has worked there he has never had an accident or a ticket of any kind. When he makes the deliverys to each store the people inside come out and tell him when the receiving dock is availible for him. He also reads lips and signs but does not wear hearing aids or a CI and he manages quite well in his job so I don't understand why you can't become a driver its not right.
You Take Care Don

you should try at transam trucking theyll take you but its a long haul drive if your interested in that

There are actually few deaf 18-wheeler drivers in the USA... only whom wears HA and speak well enough. I know threesome in Indiana still do yet one of them is considering to quit cuz he says too much traveling that takes toll out of him. lol

well, not all states allow deaf people drive a USP and FedEx, trucks in USA. As far as I know, in Florida, they do allow deaf people driving USP/FedEx trunks. But if you plan to drive a 18 wheeler, it requires a CDL license but in USA, it ban deaf people to get a CDL.

well, not all states allow deaf people drive a USP and FedEx, trucks in USA. As far as I know, in Florida, they do allow deaf people driving USP/FedEx trunks. But if you plan to drive a 18 wheeler, it requires a CDL license but in USA, it ban deaf people to get a CDL.

Actually I applied for Delivery. Not eighteen wheels and CDL. For an example, FedEx Delivery trucks and vans look like uhaul trucks and vans. Just regular Size; Not even bigger as eighteen wheels.
unfortunley I can't even pass physical exam because of TX DOT LAW. I could drive vans or truck which alike uhaul truck but that SUCKS!:mad:

What about deaf people with CI/HA (if HA work very good) and who fluent in oral language then would allow to permission for CDL?

What about deaf people with CI/HA (if HA work very good) and who fluent in oral language then would allow to permission for CDL?

Yes, high likely because those threesome hoosiers, who know, do drive the 18-wheelers have the CDL themselves because they all wear HA and speak well enough at least... and passed the CDL tests.

But for the pure deaf it's prohibited, ofc. CI?... I haven't heard of one yet.

It may depend on every state as well, too.

What really sucks to me about this whole thing: I deal with truckers all day long: Some long haulers, and some who just take it to the rail yard to go on a train: And some of them cannot read, write, or understand over 5 words of spoken English.

I have nothing against non English speaking people driving trucks, many do an excellent job, but it plays hell with communication -- So you go to signs of one kind or another -- Ooops. You would think that would work but it does not always.

Everyone born and raised in America, deaf or hearing, including those who speak English very poorly because they were raised in a non English speaking area, has certain agreements about what signs mean what. You would think signs like 'come here', 'go back', 'stay','f u' and 'A ok' would be pretty universal but they are not.

Of course you don't always get into the situation that one of my helpers got into some years ago. He signed to a German truck driver that he was parked 'A-Ok' only to have the truck driver jump out and start beating him up because in Germany that sign is used to call each other assholes.

What can possibly be the problem with a deaf truck driver who can read and write English?

all state require those DOT physicals. requirements and laws vary from state to state. those requirements are based on safety. when driving for a living, the driver spends a lot more time in the drivers seat then the average driver. the commerical driver must be aware of his enviroment at all times. the hear requirement comes into play for a simple reason that some noises may prevent accidents. also knowing if there is some thing wrong with the vehicle. drivers must be able to hear a car skidding or another vehile speeding into an intersection. just like the driver needs to be able to hear the distant shouting of a parent yelling at a toddler who is running into the street, as the parent chases after the tot.

for those type of reasons, each state DOTs came up with hearing requirements. here in PA, driver must be able to hear a certain decible range. if a driver can not hear in that range or below a certain point, they don't pass the DOT physical. a hash fact of life.

it maybe dissappointing however Fed Ex offer many other career options.

What really sucks to me about this whole thing: I deal with truckers all day long: Some long haulers, and some who just take it to the rail yard to go on a train: And some of them cannot read, write, or understand over 5 words of spoken English.
:shock: during the early 90's the the new CDL testing was suppose to rid the highways of drivers unable to read the highway signs...

In 92 i once gave directions to a driver that was illirerate and couldn't read thw written directions he recieved from his dispatcher. he was driving for roadway which is now part of Fed Ex :giggle:

I have a good friend in Minnesota that has CDL!!!! He is deaf and driving 18 wheel semi truck.

In fact, I have several friends in Minnesota that are truck driver for 50 states.

Your statement is myth. I will ask two of my friends to see about that statement. I strongly believe its myth.

I have two deaf friends but one with CI and another dont have CI. Both are truck driver in Minnesota.

I will need to ask them more about their CDL.

i have several deaf friends who driving semi trucks in california. They're proved them wrong and the result was that they're successful. They (managers) love them because of their attendance, communicated, delivery on the time, and great attitude. They're not celebrities what you saw on tv. They're real human being with feelings.

Im proud of them everyday what they texted me during nighttime. They're cool people. Sometimes they do accident bump into celebrities in california. Wonderful it is?

i have several deaf friends who driving semi trucks in california. They're proved them wrong and the result was that they're successful. They (managers) love them because of their attendance, communicated, delivery on the time, and great attitude. They're not celebrities what you saw on tv. They're real human being with feelings.

Im proud of them everyday what they texted me during nighttime. They're cool people. Sometimes they do accident bump into celebrities in california. Wonderful it is?

Several? Are you saying there are at least 20-30 of them?

Back