Deaf people can't truck driving job?!

My friend lives in AZ, drives a 18 wheeler for several years. He is Deaf and uses digital hearing aids. He also has a satellite TTY to communicate with discapther (sp). I don't know if he still drives because he told me that he is tired of driving long distance and wants a career change.

Anyway, I was told that a Deaf person asked his hearing twin to take DOT physical test for him because he knew he would not pass PA DOT physical test due to a new law requiring hearing a whisper at least 20 dB (so far I remember the specific number, I could be wrong). Of course, his twin passed DOT, then Deaf guy still drives 18 wheeler with no tickets or accidents for several years. :eek3:

My former Deaf client got a new job with a company in rural PA and asked me to expediture 20% of cochlear implant cost ($6K), so he wants to drive a truck due to state law. Of course, I declined it because he has started a new job with a company. If he has hearing aids and is about to lose a job, I would approve the cost of CI implant surgery. He has to pay 20% himself because he wants to hear the environmental sound himself. :aw:

My friend lives in AZ, drives a 18 wheeler for several years. He is Deaf and uses digital hearing aids. He also has a satellite TTY to communicate with discapther (sp). I don't know if he still drives because he told me that he is tired of driving long distance and wants a career change.

Anyway, I was told that a Deaf person asked his hearing twin to take DOT physical test for him because he knew he would not pass PA DOT physical test due to a new law requiring hearing a whisper at least 20 dB (so far I remember the specific number, I could be wrong). Of course, his twin passed DOT, then Deaf guy still drives 18 wheeler with no tickets or accidents for several years. :eek3:

My former Deaf client got a new job with a company in rural PA and asked me to expediture 20% of cochlear implant cost ($6K), so he wants to drive a truck due to state law. Of course, I declined it because he has started a new job with a company. If he has hearing aids and is about to lose a job, I would approve the cost of CI implant surgery. He has to pay 20% himself because he wants to hear the environmental sound himself. :aw:

This may be a stupid question, and I'm sure it is a bit off the point, but I have to ask....

Just hearing a noise does not tell you what goes with what. Point: I've heard dogs barking all my life: The first time I heard a hound baying I did not know what it was. The owner knew which of his dogs it was and could make a good guess at what it was baying at by the sound it made.

So how long does it take a person who has never heard a sound before in their life to know which sound goes with what event?

Back