• Yes. why not

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • No.

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters

. :lol:

A side note, after reading this entire thread...

Isn't the OP asking DEAF parents if they would, or would not, implant their children. And to have hearing people come on this thread specifically to invalidate the DEAF parents' answers, it is wrong.
That is what my thread is all about i want, just for either Deaf parents, Deaf parents with Ci or Deaf parents of kids with CI are entitled to express their opinions here. Like i said, i do highly respect for Deaf parents of Deaf kids. I have few friends who have CI and do not plan to implant on their babies but allow them to have CI on their own choice. Other Deaf friends of Deaf kids who had implanted their babies and have them BOTH ASL and speaking. so i am curious about you all on AD. by the way, yes there have a hearing parents of deaf kids with CI sub forum on AD.

i really hate when people say "god made me this way" cause honestly, its just a scientific defect.
Not to put down religion, but, do you have to really believe that god wanted you to be deaf (or blind, or mental, or small, or big, or black, or white, or yellow, or brown?) We have ears that are designed to catch vibrations for a reason, we have bunch of features in our eyes to see, we have a brain for knowledge. Why would god want to take something thats so powerful/useful in terms of sense away from us?

Thats why I am very pro-CI. Technology (science) allows us to take these defects, and try to make it as close as possible to the natural way of hearing, seeing, ect.
What makes us who we are is our adaptation to these defects and making best of it. People that dont want CI/hearing aids, cool, you are most likely to be very knitted into the deaf culture with ASL, you made yourself, not god.
Me, I acknowledged that i am deaf yet i use CI, I made myself the person who I am, deaf with hearing as natural as possible can.

I should mention that I am not into religion very much, and always look at things from scientific reasoning.

edit: i dont wanna fight, just expressing how I see CI's. The fucked up teenagers comment was very uncalled for, as I dont see myself fucked up or many CI users I have met in my life... a-hole.

First of all, I really appreciate that you share this opinion of yours with us. That's what I want to hear from you and others about CI.

what do you think if baby with CI should learn both ASL and speaking in the earlier years or just speaking only then learn ASL later? Also, to be interacting with other deaf kids with ci or rather to be interacting with hearing kids only?

You are still welcome to share with us because you ve been there all your life and know what to say based on your experiences. it is really useful.

p.s. my hub has a CI. so are my friends. some of alldeaf members have CI too and they do involve with the deaf community. so you are too if you like to.

FF, this is a good thread, and I also am curious to see what other DEAF people, especially parents, think of implanting. I wish people would respect AllDeaf's forum rules and respect the OP and stay on topic.

There's so much talk about how important it is for a deaf person to speak, but folks are quick to try to quieten the person when he starts to speak his mind. Let the DEAF parents have their voices heard.

I see lot comment about deaf kids with CI having good speech and on age level but I don't see any comment about deaf kids with CI UNDERSTANDING hearing people saying to them.

Learning to speak is tough, very tough but I think learning to hear/understand hearing by listen/lipreading is tougher cos they ARE deaf.

In my experience having friends with CI, see other kids with CI and adults with CI (I don't have one), lot of them have good enough speech (not all) BUT they ALL have problems understanding hearing people, some find it bit easier than others but they still can't rely on CI listening skills only, they still need lipreading, still need hearing people repeat for them, write down some words for them and some of them still need BSL interpreter.

All those deaf with CI I have see, they all love their CI and think it success.

I see lot comment about deaf kids with CI having good speech and on age level but I don't see any comment about deaf kids with CI UNDERSTANDING hearing people saying to them.

Learning to speak is tough, very tough but I think learning to hear/understand hearing by listen/lipreading is tougher cos they ARE deaf.

In my experience having friends with CI, see other kids with CI and adults with CI (I don't have one), lot of them have good enough speech (not all) BUT they ALL have problems understanding hearing people, some find it bit easier than others but they still can't rely on CI listening skills only, they still need lipreading, still need hearing people repeat for them, write down some words for them and some of them still need BSL interpreter.

All those deaf with CI I have see, they all love their CI and think it success.

I have noticed the same in my community as well.

There are always risk. Part of life. Sometimes one takes risks to prevent other risk..
Risks associated with deafness are OK?

What are the risks associated with deafness? Meningitis? device failure? facial nerve issues? infections? do pray tell.

I've learned a new term "deaf isolationists". Apparently deaf isolationists are ASL-Deaf people seeking to deprive all deaf people of any access to hearing or resources except for ASL in hopes of keeping them isolated and cut off from the hearing world.

wow.

Last edited:
I love oyster bay. I grew up there. Of course My Deaf friends and I went to oyster bay all the time and all over long island. During my time, there are TONS of ASL users who used to live there. I didn't feel very lonely. I had no idea where he got the idea of "deaf isolationists" in Long Island that he thinks it was. maybe he meant for deaf, not Deaf.

Many of us are extremist against audism. Maybe that is what you are misunderstanding here. Thinking we are against CIs (I know some posters here are against them but that is their right to feel that way) when it is audism that we are against.

Ever see it that way, maybe?

I'm not anti CI. I have one myself but I do not favor audism in any flavor.

I love oyster bay. I grew up there. Of course My Deaf friends and I went to oyster bay all the time and all over long island. During my time, there are TONS of ASL users who used to live there. I didn't feel very lonely. I had no idea where he got the idea of "deaf isolationists" in Long Island that he thinks it was. maybe he meant for deaf, not Deaf.

Is Oyster Bay a beach town?

WOW.. Are we going to look at mails from 1993?. You realize that's 18 years ago...

Well, it certainly shows a pattern of hatred for the Deaf community. The style of wording being used to describe the Deaf community seems pretty much the same since then.

Well, it certainly shows a pattern of hatred for the Deaf community. The style of wording being used to describe the Deaf community seems pretty much the same since then.

Not to mention how hateful some of the letters written by the others on that website are.

That's nothing to do with deafness, that's her not being smart.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten all about that one. Even a CI wouldn't have saved her if she turned it off because she wasn't around hearing people. What if she was unable to locate sounds before train hit her even if it was on? Or just not paying attention till it's too late? I've been guilty of this one though I have to admit I've never walked close to train tracks..

It's a bad idea for anyone to walk in between train tracks or too close to them.

Back