Deaf parent's kids taken from home infested with roaches

MangaReader

Reaction score
RTV6 - IMPD: Six kids taken from home infested with roaches, fleas, feces and razor blades - Local Story

INDIANAPOLIS - Police said six children under the age of 13 (plus several pets) were removed from a home in which investigators found fleas, a broken toilet, saws, no food and unsanitary conditions such as feces covering the floor and condoms on the kids’ bed.

The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department said Sunday evening, an officer headed to 2818 S. Rybolt Ave. on the city's southwest side on a report of child abuse.

The officer said when he arrived he was greeted by the parents of the home, Gerald Miles, 39, and Ginger Mathison, 33, both of whom are deaf.

The officer said they immediately became agitated at the police presence at their home. IMPD said the couple approached him, got in his face and began yelling and signing to him very aggressively. The officer said Miles was holding a metal object in his hand, and due to the combination of the object with Miles’ and Mathison’s anger, the officer detained the couple for safety’s sake.

IMPD said once the couple was detained, the officer headed inside to check on the kids.

“As soon as I walked in the front door a strong smell of animal urine and fecal matter overwhelmed me,” the officer wrote in his police report on the incident.

The officer said he looked down and saw fecal matter covering the floor along with staples sticking out of the hardwood floor. He said he also found razor blades, saws, a hammer, and various other dangerous items sitting around in the front room of the home.

As he continued through the house, IMPD said the officer saw the house was infested with fleas and cockroaches. He also said he discovered the home had very little food -- and the food that was there, was rotten. Cockroaches were found in the refrigerator and pantry as well.

The food wasn’t the only rotten thing, investigators said. The officer found that there were several spots on the floor that were so rotten and unsecure that they could cause the children serious bodily harm.

The officer made his way to the children’s room, where he said he found a used condom on the bed. Meanwhile in the second room, IMPD said a large portion of drywall was missing, leaving wires exposed. Plus, most electrical switches in the house did not have the proper covering, the officer said.

The list goes on. The officer said he found only one toilet in the entire home, occupied by a total of eight people, and that toilet was not working.

IMPD said the children were found “extremely unkempt” and covered with fleas. The ages of the children are 13, 8, 7, 7, 6 and 4.

The officer said there were also four dogs and two cats Animal Control had to remove due to poor living conditions and some malnutrition issues.

The Department of Child Services removed the kids as officials said they felt living conditions were unsafe for the children.

There is no word yet from investigators as to whether the couple faces child neglect charges.

The officers did the right thing...the children's safety and well-being comes first.

hope kids and animals are ok after they are removed from there and feel safer now.

That's just terrible! I'm glad kids and animals are in a better place now.

Are the kids deaf? One thing that might be a good idea(unless the kids have severe mental health issues) is placing them in a deaf school instead of foster care......Even the kids with severe issues could go to the behavioral programs,like Walden School,or Cathedral home for Children......

UGH! People are ridiculous! I understand houses get a bit dirty and all, but how do you let them get to that point! Especially when you have kids and animals! yes... I was worried about the animals too...

I wonder why the police were called to that house in the first place? It sounded like a really nasty place ... no place for children at all. I wonder if the family hit hard economic times? Not that that is an excuse .. but it is really hard to take care of a home if you are broke.

I have seen some Deaf couples that have no business having children ... I know this sounds harsh, but I am very serious. This applies to hearing people too .. but man, oh, man ... I have seen some stuff that would make a maggot gag.

I am still wondering how cockroaches got inside the fridge

I wonder why the police were called to that house in the first place? It sounded like a really nasty place ... no place for children at all. I wonder if the family hit hard economic times? Not that that is an excuse .. but it is really hard to take care of a home if you are broke.

I have seen some Deaf couples that have no business having children ... I know this sounds harsh, but I am very serious. This applies to hearing people too .. but man, oh, man ... I have seen some stuff that would make a maggot gag.

There are plenty of people who have no business having children. I read terrible articles all the time that are just RIDICULOUS! Some that just make my jaw drop in amazement that these people could do something so terrible. So yes, definitely a lot of parents that don't need to have children, fortunately, these children got out in time, and hopefully will not suffer to much from this trauma. :(

Very sad, regardless of whether the adults/parents were deaf, hearing, whatever....

I was a case manager some years ago and made home visits. I did also some things such as roaches in the fridge. If there's enough of them, they find their way in.

Being poor is no excuse for having a dirty house. You can still wash the floors and put the trash in a wastebasket and bring the dogs outside to poop.

Being poor is no excuse for having a dirty house. You can still wash the floors and put the trash in a wastebasket and bring the dogs outside to poop.
I agree. After my parents divorced, we were poor.

One thing that seems different about poor people now is that they seem to have more trash. We were too poor to generate a lot trash. We couldn't buy the stuff in the first place, and whatever we did have, we took care of and used up. I don't think we ever had any spoiled food around because we ate everything that we had before we bought more.

Also, I love animals but if people can't afford to properly take care of their own children, they shouldn't even consider getting pets that they can't afford. It's not fair to anyone to get a pet that can't be taken care of.

No pets means more money for the children, and less poop, urine, fleas, and fur to make a mess.

I agree. After my parents divorced, we were poor.

One thing that seems different about poor people now is that they seem to have more trash. We were too poor to generate a lot trash. We couldn't buy the stuff in the first place, and whatever we did have, we took care of and used up. I don't think we ever had any spoiled food around because we ate everything that we had before we bought more.

Also, I love animals but if people can't afford to properly take care of their own children, they shouldn't even consider getting pets that they can't afford. It's not fair to anyone to get a pet that can't be taken care of.

No pets means more money for the children, and less poop, urine, fleas, and fur to make a mess.

People seem to buy more premade food today and can generate more trash . I wonder one of the parents is a hoarder, I had a neighbor that was a hoarder and OMG I was :eek3: when her niece showed me what the unit looked liked! You could not walk into the bedrooms and there was shit on bathroom walls! I only saw the kitchen and living room and that was bad enough!

i lived with my nan who real piss artist i went into care a short time but i loved my nan uncondionly if my childhood was these days i would gone into care permently...there was piss shit everywhere,now i obsessed with hygine but i not tidy..kids getting fleas never seen kid with that only lice but condoms on bed that disgussting.
my son do house calls and he see dreadful stuff rarely are children taken ..
these parents selfish having this amount of children for that reason the kids need be out of enviroment..the deafness should not be an issue why mention it

Back