Deaf parents/Deaf orphans

katz4life

Reaction score
I am wondering is there any of you Deaf parents whose adopted a Deaf baby/ child? Or any of you do know someone is Deaf parents and have adoptive deaf children? I'd like to know!

I can't give their names here. I know deaf couples who adopted deaf kiddos. I am curious why did you want to know about it. It must be interesitng.

Oh, that's great! Because I don't know anybody deaf that adopted deaf kid. Because I was afraid I thought some Deaf parents who are not orally expert and are strong ASL users aren't allowed to adopt deaf baby or orphans from here or other countries due to discrimination.

Oh yea i undestand what you are saying. Well I have not asked them if they had been struggling or fighting to get deaf kids.

one couple adopted about 1 year old girl from the mexico.

one couple adopted about 4 years old boy from asian ( i dont know which one).

I know one couple who tried to adopt a little girl but other country lied to them that the girl was not deaf. She was hearing, blind and other complicated disabilties. The couple had hard time deciding to bring home or not. Somehow they decided not to take her home because its very complicated disabilities but the girl is hearing. Of course the couple were very upset for a long time.
=/

Oh, that's great! Because I don't know anybody deaf that adopted deaf kid. Because I was afraid I thought some Deaf parents who are not orally expert and are strong ASL users aren't allowed to adopt deaf baby or orphans from here or other countries due to discrimination.

I don't know how oral skills have any relevance of incapability of and adult to be a good adoptive parent. Thousands of Americans are allowed to adopt children from other nations who already have communication/language barrier. :hmm:

You have some good point. But still this topic concerns Deaf parents, not Hearing. What if Adoption agencies would have looked down on Deaf parents that want to get a deaf child and they wouldn't approve it since they might think Deaf parents cannot raise a deaf child at normal life and cannot be educated at normal level by Deaf parents. That is total discrimination, period.

We just had Utah children's service join here and make a thread trying to find deaf adoptive parents for a deaf baby.

I'm sure there are deaf parents adopting deaf children....same as for a deaf parent, not parent(s), adopting hearing children, which I did, 3 brothers all at once in 2006, had them in my home at the end of 2002, early 2003....Would have liked to adopt a deaf child, but feel the pressure right now would be too much. We can only stretch ourselves to a point. It's a lot of work, but the rewards are great!

With foreign adoption, most governments will expedite adoptions for special needs children.

I know a quite few Deaf families who have no oral skills who have adopted deaf children.

I will say this that a adopted child from another country should learn both sign lanage of there birth country and the sign lanage of the country they live in

I am hoping to in the furture to adopt a deafblind kid

know a quite few Deaf families who have no oral skills who have adopted deaf children.
That's awesome! Foriegn or domestic adoption? I think that the adoption of deaf kids by Deaf families, along with immigration may somewhat expand Deaf culture.

I check with someone in the know....In the state of Texas (the whole state) the Department of Children Service has six deaf kids adopted by deaf guardians (it's not necessary for the guardian to be married...i.e. single individual can adopt too. That is for right now but for the years past she is telling me she remembers a bunch but has no exact number. She is telling me that many hearing people give up special need kids at birth and the deaf are given up regularly....as disgusting as that is.....and that these kids are hard to place with hearing guardians. Now she wants me to be considered for the next child......backed myself into a corner to help you!!

She is telling me that many hearing people give up special need kids at birth and the deaf are given up regularly....as disgusting as that is.....and that these kids are hard to place with hearing guardians. Now she wants me to be considered for the next child......backed myself into a corner to help you!!
You're kidding me! :shock: I do understand parents giving up babies with profound special needs. But then again, it is ALWAYS hard to tell how well a baby will develop. I do understand since taking care of a profoundly special needs kid can be VERY difficult. Many if not most of them end up in pediatric nursing homes. But the dhh are given up regularly? That is really very sad. I really do think that the state should try to place the dhh kids in the system at deaf school or with dhh families. It's sad b/c it just reflects that quite a few parents are really looking for a perfect "designer" baby.

You're kidding me! :shock: I do understand parents giving up babies with profound special needs. But then again, it is ALWAYS hard to tell how well a baby will develop. I do understand since taking care of a profoundly special needs kid can be VERY difficult. Many if not most of them end up in pediatric nursing homes. But the dhh are given up regularly? That is really very sad. I really do think that the state should try to place the dhh kids in the system at deaf school or with dhh families. It's sad b/c it just reflects that quite a few parents are really looking for a perfect "designer" baby.

I don't believe this happens very often at all. I bet it is EXTREMELY rare (if it has ever happened in the US).

I know a mixed couple (hearing, Deaf) that adopted a boy who was Deaf, they seem to be happy together. I don't know of anyone Deaf who adopted a hearing child, that would be interesting to find out...

i don't know how oral skills have any relevance of incapability of and adult to be a good adoptive parent. Thousands of americans are allowed to adopt children from other nations who already have communication/language barrier. :hmm:

fantastic point!!!!!!

The rigor of the application process varies country by country. I think that most adoption agencies working with China (they are all restricted by the same governing agency in China) require that deaf can adopt, but only if adopting a deaf child. At the time we went through the process there were some tough physical requirements, including some serious weight limits, with potential parents rejected if they had ever taken drugs to treat mild depression (which are pretty common these days), if there was a family history/likelihood of heart disease/cancer, etc. And eye and ear exams along with what seemed like endless blood tests for things my doctor just shook her head at. I've heard that they've limited single parent adoption severely and raised financial requirements since we adopted.

But, I know a couple -- one is ASL Deaf/one is a hearing ASL interpreter -- who adopted a deaf child from Guatemala (intending to raise him with ASL), at the same time my husband and I adopted Li-Li from China. We found out after returning home that our Li-Li was profoundly deaf, and they found out shortly after that their son was hearing!

Back