Deaf Notebook

SilentColors

Reaction score
Today I had to go to my television provider to switch out some products in order for my CC to work in my living room (my bedroom TV was the only one with CC). I had prewritten what I wanted to say in my mini notebook I carry around with me. When I was called up I handed him the notebook and he just looked at me. He read it but then proceeded to just talk to me. I tried reading his lips and I get most of what he was saying but not everything, so I wrote again in reply to what he had said but added that I am deaf. He then wrote from there on out. This got me thinking, I guess even if you hand someone a notebook to write in they still don't always understand we're deaf. So, I came up with the perfect solution! :aw:

I decided to make a custom notebook. Walmart.com was the cheapest I could find, $8.00. I made a picture with Photo Shop (I'm a graphic designer, but you could use paint). I have the font Gallaudet on my computer. So on the top of the photo I wrote, "I Am Deaf" and under that I put the sign alphabet along with the letters unterneith that. On the inside of the notebook cover I wrote, "If you need to speak to me, please face me and speak normal."

I believe this should work well. It tells people I'm deaf, and if they don't have time to write, at least talk normal and look at me. It should arrive in one week. I'm excited. :) I tend to get a lot of people not thinking I'm deaf because I speak normal. It's a small thing but it should help a lot.

Today I had to go to my television provider to switch out some products in order for my CC to work in my living room (my bedroom TV was the only one with CC). I had prewritten what I wanted to say in my mini notebook I carry around with me. When I was called up I handed him the notebook and he just looked at me. He read it but then proceeded to just talk to me. I tried reading his lips and I get most of what he was saying but not everything, so I wrote again in reply to what he had said but added that I am deaf. He then wrote from there on out. This got me thinking, I guess even if you hand someone a notebook to write in they still don't always understand we're deaf. So, I came up with the perfect solution! :aw:

I decided to make a custom notebook. Walmart.com was the cheapest I could find, $8.00. I made a picture with Photo Shop (I'm a graphic designer, but you could use paint). I have the font Gallaudet on my computer. So on the top of the photo I wrote, "I Am Deaf" and under that I put the sign alphabet along with the letters unterneith that. On the inside of the notebook cover I wrote, "If you need to speak to me, please face me and speak normal."

I believe this should work well. It tells people I'm deaf, and if they don't have time to write, at least talk normal and look at me. It should arrive in one week. I'm excited. :) I tend to get a lot of people not thinking I'm deaf because I speak normal. It's a small thing but it should help a lot.

A great idea SC! A business card with similar graphics would work well too, I think. Thanks for sharing! :deaf::ty:

Would it help if you wore hearing aids or something?

I do use hearing aids but recently they aren't helping as much and almost cause more problems. Fairly soon the aids won't help at all anyways.

I am at a smiliar stage (hearing wise) and the hearing aids often get mistaken for a Bluetooth headset, even though I wear two and struggle to understand. I used to think they were a giveaway as to being deaf, but it seems today many people have things in their ears that people don't notice them. This is good that we're no longer standing out but it does mean you do have to tell people before they get annoyed or just walk off thinking you're rude.

My $0.02 ;-)

From my experience I have seen Mac OS X running friendly accessible for any type of disability to aid eyes and hearing.

I have difficult to find on WinOS.

I found everyone's solution! :D

Added one for my hard of heairng friends. :)

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 12
  • images1.jpg
    images1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 5
From my experience I have seen Mac OS X running friendly accessible for any type of disability to aid eyes and hearing.

I have difficult to find on WinOS.

I'm not sure I understand ... Window's has Accessibility features similar to MacOS.

They're in the Control Panel , under Accessibility Options

I'm not sure I understand ... Window's has Accessibility features similar to MacOS.

They're in the Control Panel , under Accessibility Options

I know. I'm talk about the sound when IM does the beep or warning. The screen appear to be flash.

For color visual, where they want to see black/white or invert color. You know what I mean?

I know. I'm talk about the sound when IM does the beep or warning. The screen appear to be flash.

For color visual, where they want to see black/white or invert color. You know what I mean?

You know the OP is talking about a low tech paper notebook and not a computer right?

That is a very cute idea. Let us know how it works!

Ubuntu is funny, btw.

Back