deaf name

clintkw0

Reaction score
can someone give me a ASL name

I'm sorry but don't expect an answer on this one. The question itself is kinda rude in my experience; please someone correct me if I'm wrong but I've always been told it is and have never asked for one.

Here is a bit of an explanation.

Is it polite to ask a deaf person for a name sign?

Sorry, but that’s not how it works, OP. (Don Grushkin is correct in his answer, BTW.)
Name signs aren’t produced “when requested” or even “on demand.”
We (Deaf people) give name signs *after* we have interacted with the hearing person for quite some time, and after we are convinced that the hearing person plans to stick around and has earned a name sign.
Asking such a question is a clear indication that you’re trying to rush the process. So yes, in that sense, it is rude.
Be more patient, Impatient Hearing Person.

Last edited:
Sign names are gifts that are giving off of a personal trait or something close to you. Getting a random one with no meaning is pointless. Some people never get one too. My mom and I attended the deaf school so she could learn asl. I got a name sign after a few weeks from a teacher but she never did. Her name is only 4 letters long and so it was easier to figure spell. We attended that school for 3 years. She still doesn't have one. But she is fine with that.
Their like nicknames you can push one or demand one. They just become.

Back