Deaf "mother-in-law" in Southern Mississippi

MissAlyss

Reaction score
My boyfriend's mother was born deaf. He and I are hearing, my mother was an interpreter for the deaf a long time ago and other then that I have had no exposure to the deaf community.

My boyfriend and I are planning on spending our lives together and I would definitely love to learn ASL so that I can communicate with his mother other then just writing on a piece of paper. (it seems so impersonal!) I would like to build a relationship with her, right now I feel judged and not trusted around her. He is an only child and she is a single mother, it is just the two of them. She comes and stays for about a week and a time every 3 or 4 months. I would love to make her stay more enjoyable around me.

I live in South Mississippi in Biloxi and have been trying to search for programs where I could learn ASL, no luck so far. Does anyone know of anything? I would be willing to drive to New Orleans. Or would anyone nearby be willing to be a kind of mentor for me? I'm sure we could work something out. :) My bf is incredibly busy with working as well as graduating college next summer.

And suggestions would be greatly appreciated. maybe videos or books that would be helpful? I could get assistance from my bf I'm sure. Thank you for anything you can provide.

I looked up and found this: About Us (ODHH) There is one in Gulfport which I think it is in southern Mississippi. There is an email you could ask for a sign language class and a deaf club for you to meet other deaf people. Good luck on learning ASL.

In Jackson, there's a deaf coffee chat every 3rd Saturday of each month, 2:00 PM – 5:30 PM.

I found an ASL class here on the coast! Just waiting for the next round of classes to start. Thank you for all your help! The contact Buffalo found actually connected me to it!

I know this is from a long time ago

I searched Gulfport to see what I would find. I know this is a long time ago. I tried PM'ing you but couldn't find a button to send you a message.
Anyway, at the deaf center on Lorriane rd, north of the tracks near the beach on the north side of the catholic church are free classes. This summers classes start this coming Tuesday for 4 weeks. I think they're from 530-830.

My boyfriend's mother was born deaf. He and I are hearing, my mother was an interpreter for the deaf a long time ago and other then that I have had no exposure to the deaf community.

My boyfriend and I are planning on spending our lives together and I would definitely love to learn ASL so that I can communicate with his mother other then just writing on a piece of paper. (it seems so impersonal!) I would like to build a relationship with her, right now I feel judged and not trusted around her. He is an only child and she is a single mother, it is just the two of them. She comes and stays for about a week and a time every 3 or 4 months. I would love to make her stay more enjoyable around me.

I live in South Mississippi in Biloxi and have been trying to search for programs where I could learn ASL, no luck so far. Does anyone know of anything? I would be willing to drive to New Orleans. Or would anyone nearby be willing to be a kind of mentor for me? I'm sure we could work something out. :) My bf is incredibly busy with working as well as graduating college next summer.

And suggestions would be greatly appreciated. maybe videos or books that would be helpful? I could get assistance from my bf I'm sure. Thank you for anything you can provide.

Back