Deaf Marry Deaf Most Often?

Jetti

Reaction score
I remember reading “Journey into the Deaf-World” and there’s a statistic that says 9 out of 10 deaf people marry deaf. This book came out in 1996. Do you think that statistic has changed today? What's your experience, yourself and those you know?

AlleyCat

Reaction score
My first husband was deaf. (As I am too.) I didn't marry him for that reason, though. He was nice, saved me from a bad relationship, and being cute didn't hurt any :) he ended up being a jerk later so I left him. My new husband is hearing. I have not let deaf/hearing play a factor. It's the person that counts.

slilly25

Reaction score
Then I guess I am the 1 out of 9 lol. I am hearing and my fiancee is deaf but we make it work since I'm using sign language a lot with him and he reads lips very well.

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Husband was hearing...altho' I did date several deafies...and would have married a deafie IF I could have found someone that was compatible....*sigh*

Steinhauer

Reaction score
Well, up until I got married, all of my girlfriends were hearing.

They would kick me out of bed when I started to snore. I am happier with a deaf wife.

iMaisie

Resident Glaswegian
Reaction score
Interesting :mrgreen: I would say the statistic has slightly changed. People are more tolerant nowadays.

My girlfriend is hearing and I am deaf. We're planning on getting married after we both finish university.

AlleyCat

Reaction score
Both my husband and I snore. I'm the lucky one in that I'm deaf, so I don't hear him. He being hearing, he has to listen to me. :lol: