Deaf man wants sign language interpreter at nudist camp in Cayuga County

I don't see how it can be ethically sticky. Suppose an interpreter was requested at a KKK rally? The interpreter has the right to refuse. I used an interpreter today and we were discussing things, and one thing she told me was that she refuses to interpret for a specific individual. I don't see the problem.

Well, I don't know exactly how the ethics of the terps are played out. But I do know that I do not have the right to refuse services to a client simply because I disagree with their religious beliefs, their political beliefs, their racist attititudes, their homophobia, etc. I am bound by my professional ethics to remain objective and to offer the best treatment possible for the client in spite of my personal position.

However, if I find that the disagreement is beyond my personal capability to put aside in order to be completely objective, then I must refer to another therapist so that continuity of treatment is not interrupted. Then I am also ethically bound to enlist supervision to help me work through my personal issues that are preventing me from being objective.

So, yeah...I have the right to refuse but I also have the obligation to insure that the client is provided for.

Well, I don't know exactly how the ethics of the terps are played out. But I do know that I do not have the right to refuse services to a client simply because I disagree with their religious beliefs, their political beliefs, their racist attititudes, their homophobia, etc. I am bound by my professional ethics to remain objective and to offer the best treatment possible for the client in spite of my personal position.

However, if I find that the disagreement is beyond my personal capability to put aside in order to be completely objective, then I must refer to another therapist so that continuity of treatment is not interrupted. Then I am also ethically bound to enlist supervision to help me work through my personal issues that are preventing me from being objective.

So, yeah...I have the right to refuse but I also have the obligation to insure that the client is provided for.

You're a better person than I am. :giggle:

Be careful with where this is going. The law is now stated that those who work in a Pharmancy can not refuse to dispend birth control just because of their beliefs.
If that be the case, how could a terp refuse an assignment based on belief?

Why should anyone be permitted to use their personal beliefs to determine who does and does not receive services?

The interpreter has a right to not feel uncomfortable or harassed. Interpreting at a nude event could absolutely create either feeling for an individual. The nudist colony, and even the deaf man, could be facing a much stickier lawsuit if that were to occur.

I say the deaf man is entitled to an interpreter, but if a certified interpreter who is completely okay with the situation cannot be found, the nudist group should be released from that responsibility.

The interpreter has a right to not feel uncomfortable or harassed. Interpreting at a nude event could absolutely create either feeling for an individual. The nudist colony, and even the deaf man, could be facing a much stickier lawsuit if that were to occur.

I say the deaf man is entitled to an interpreter, but if a certified interpreter who is completely okay with the situation cannot be found, the nudist group should be released from that responsibility.

I would certainly agree with that. I'm just wondering if the terp training programs are teaching objectivity so that their personal views don't limit the assignments they take. For instance, a terp that is asked to terp court proceeding for a child molestation case.

I think this brings up some areas that may need to be discussed.

thats the thing with fucken interpreters they are controlled by Hearing, they do really have real respect for d/Deaf, only MONEY, assholes!, i truely think Interpreters boards SHOULD HAVE 50/50 Hearing and Deaf OR at least an agreed co-operation with a 100% board of Deaf people who are deemed to represent and know Deaf matters and thus address this. Hearing Interpreter should Never get away with it.
This Pisses me RIGHT FUCKING OFF (okay i copied the whiner about the $50 million loses LOL) but it does.
Interpreter SHOULD NOT have last say where/when does it suits them on 'so called grounds of appropriateness or 'safety' for fucks sakes, what abou the safety of understand for a Deaf Nudist SO fucking WHAT if he or she is a Nudist SHOCKING?P! now there are hundred of thousands of not millions of Hearing Nudists worldwide , get the fucking over it, and start serving Deaf people properly. MORE the fucking reason there should be more understand of what is Deafhood, and thus we ought to take back Power that BELONGS to Deaf people, not fucking unscupulous fucking greedy Hearing interpreters, no excuses if they are Codas, fruits, or 'emotionally worn' they should have thought about it about it before hand, before start getting rude and arrogant , after all, ASL/BSL/any Sign languages BELONGS to Deaf FULL STOP. Stop FUcking with us!!! GRRR now i just vents, i think id go out outside naked right now in protest, no wait, its winter, Id wait till Summer LOL

Last edited:
thats the thing with fucken interpreters they are controlled by Hearing, they do really have real respect for d/Deaf, only MONEY, assholes!, i truely think Interpreters boards SHOULD HAVE 50/50 Hearing and Deaf OR at least an agreed co-operation with a 100% board of Deaf people who are deemed to represent and know Deaf matters and thus address this. Hearing Interpreter should Never get away with it.
This Pisses me RIGHT FUCKING OFF (okay i copied the whiner about the $50 million loses LOL) but it does.
Interpreter SHOULD NOT have last say where/when does it suits them on 'so called grounds of appropriateness or 'safety' for fucks sakes, what abou the safety of understand for a Deaf Nudist SO fucking WHAT if he or she is a Nudist SHOCKING?P! now there are hundred of thousands of not millions of Hearing Nudists worldwide , get the fucking over it, and start serving Deaf people properly. MORE the fucking reason there should be more understand of what is Deafhood, and thus we ought to take back Power that BELONGS to Deaf people, not fucking unscupulous fucking greedy Hearing interpreters, no excuses if they are Codas, fruits, or 'emotionally worn' they should have thought about it about it before hand, before start getting rude and arrogant , after all, ASL/BSL/any Sign languages BELONGS to Deaf FULL STOP. Stop FUcking with us!!! GRRR now i just vents, i think id go out outside naked right now in protest, no wait, its winter, Id wait till Summer LOL

??? Where is the "unlike" button???

Do you find you have a hard time with interpreters? do you find that interpreters do not want a repeat visit with you? Do you find yourself swearing at the guy peeking in your bathroom window only to realize your looking in a mirror?

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

Do you find you have a hard time with interpreters? do you find that interpreters do not want a repeat visit with you? Do you find yourself swearing at the guy peeking in your bathroom window only to realize your looking in a mirror?

:giggle: :hmm:

LOL, no
most interpreters are good, hell even some have confined to me that whose they work for or what arrange they are in sux, they AGREE its corrupted, and what? no im not crazy, the system is. if you re-read and think about it carefully dont you agree interpreters should stop thinking they are god's gifts? how come is it Deaf people who teaches sign charge $80 for 10 weeks course (2 hrs , often 3 hrs) which amounts to Less than $8 an hour then a Hearing terp (who Learned signs from Deaf comes back and charge from the floor of $50an hour, sometimes higher than $100, even $200 an hour , so Tell me is this Right? whats more Hearing people have VAST More choices of lifestyles, occupation they so can choose...

Bet you have it lovely, and from that cosy middle-upper class strata in society it renders you incapable to see if from other peoples shoes...

are you drunk??!

LOL, no
most interpreters are good, hell even some have confined to me that whose they work for or what arrange they are in sux, they AGREE its corrupted, and what? no im not crazy, the system is. if you re-read and think about it carefully dont you agree interpreters should stop thinking they are god's gifts? how come is it Deaf people who teaches sign charge $80 for 10 weeks course (2 hrs , often 3 hrs) which amounts to Less than $8 an hour then a Hearing terp (who Learned signs from Deaf comes back and charge from the floor of $50an hour, sometimes higher than $100, even $200 an hour , so Tell me is this Right? whats more Hearing people have VAST More choices of lifestyles, occupation they so can choose...

Bet you have it lovely, and from that cosy middle-upper class strata in society it renders you incapable to see if from other peoples shoes...

are you drunk??!

How I get myself into these debates I will never know!!! :shock:

No, I am not drunk. I wish I was, it would make it so much easier to ignore the world in general.

You do make a good point about the high prices that Interpreters are charging for their profession. Stop and think about what pressures are pushing their rates higher and higher. Federal law is requiring more and more businesses to provide accommodations that include interpreters. This is great for the Deaf, but suddenly the interpreters are really in demand. So they raise their rates and take the best jobs available. I really cannot blame them, I would do the same thing if My computer skills were in such a demand. If we are lucky this process will weed out the interpreters with little skill.

Now think about why the Deaf are offering these classes? The Deaf want more interpreters and want to educate the public. Its hard to introduce a new language and culture to a public that is largely ignorant so the Deaf has to set the price low. But, the Deaf instructor does not need to only accept one student at a time. Multiply your numbers by a typical class room (approx 10 students?) and suddenly it doesn't look so bad.

As for the Interpreters that you are complaining about that think they are "God's gift" to the Deaf. Don't worry, those interpreters find their services in less and less demand. I use interpreters often and I speak up when I have an interpreter that does not meet my needs. That terp just never works for me again. Simple as that.

The ONLY reason that hearing have more job opportunities than the Deaf is because the hiring managers are ignorant. We have had a lot of legal help in improving this over the last few years and we really still have a long way left to go. I fully intend to become an employer some day. I can promise you if you apply to work for me your Deafness would not even be a consideration, you will be judged purely on your ability to perform your job.

And finally, Yes, the middle class is a lovely place to be. It's nice to finally be in a place where I don't have to worry if I will make my next rent payment. Will I be able to eat lunch every day this week? Can I afford to get gas this week? And... can I afford to go to the Dr office (Can I afford not to???)? I've been there. I survived. Go walk on someone else shoes.

LOL, no

are you drunk??!

I just stopped to look at where you are writing from. You may have more cause to be upset than I give you credit for. I cannot know the situation where you are. so, why don't you educate us at to the conditions where you are. Ranting and Raving just makes me want to discount your complaints.

The nicer you are with your interpreter, the lovelier the next will be. I had a real beauty of an interpreter yesterday and she told me heads up, my next one this Friday will be a fox. :)

LOL, no

are you drunk??!

Um... in the bolded above, did you even take account of the NUMBER of people in the class taught by the deaf...? My class had 15 people and it was also about 10 weeks. So $80 (mine was actually $100 but lets go with yours) per person = $1200 total. For 2 hours per class per week x 10 weeks = 20 hours. $1200/20 hours = 60 bucks per hour.....

An interpreter interprets only ONE person. But I do agree with you. The interpreters definitely seem to charge more.

I think it only SEEMS like interpreters charge more or a lot is usually because they work for an agency which means the terp his/herself doesn't get the amount per hour indicated......

I think it only SEEMS like interpreters charge more or a lot is usually because they work for an agency which means the terp his/herself doesn't get the amount per hour indicated......

That is correct.

Reba, would you take the interpreting task there? :)
I doubt that they want to hire someone to fly from South Carolina to New York, and pay per diem.

However, if it were a local assignment, I'd have to know more about the how the workshops were conducted before making a decision. Also, if there are several workshops, lasting all day, the assignment may require team interpreting.

If I did, I could never let anyone at AD know because of confidentiality rules. ;)

Back