Deaf Man Jailed With No Access to Interpreter

Nothing wrong with it...just shocked to see a TTY. I have been in the Deaf world for 15 years so to see a TTY brought me back to reality that I am in the hearing world.

Video phone is free by the way. No cost to the school. I downloaded on my work computer. No big deal.

Shel is right. VRS software is just free to download comparing to the cost of TTY. Which is more cost effective?

Good luck finding someone who has a TTY to call you. :laugh2:

VP > TTY :aw:

The main point is a Deaf guy is illiterate, so he has a right to access into VP or sign language interpreter. How can he able to understand what is being type on TTY? Eh? Jane B. :roll:

Last edited:
I do have TTYs at home and work, but they were left collecting the dust anyway.

:wave: goodbye to TTYs.

IMO, they should provide both TTYs and VPs so we have a choice. Like Jane B said, she doesn't know ASL so she'd use a TTY whenever she gets arrested. Anyone like Zemedagegehu who prefers VP can use VP. I think that's fair. What I mean is that TTY is still useful for some deaf people.

NAD must do something about it. NAD, SPEAK UP for all of us. NAACP speaks up for black people. Honestly, that's really sad that we don't have FULL accessibility yet as of 2015. Unbelievable! Congress is VERY slow! If JFK was our current President, he would make the world go round.

IMO, they should provide both TTYs and VPs so we have a choice. Like Jane B said, she doesn't know ASL so she'd use a TTY whenever she gets arrested. Anyone like Zemedagegehu who prefers VP can use VP. I think that's fair. What I mean is that TTY is still useful for some deaf people.

NAD must do something about it. NAD, SPEAK UP for all of us. NAACP speaks up for black people. Honestly, that's really sad that we don't have FULL accessibility yet as of 2015. Unbelievable! Congress is VERY slow! If JFK was our current President, he would make the world go round.

I have not been arrested and sure hope to never be. But, Crazy Paul has the right idea!

I still use TTY to make calls lots of business and few personal calls. I can read.

The main point is a Deaf guy especially from Ethiopia (African country) is illiterate, so he has a right to access into VP or sign language interpreter. How can he able to understand what is being type on TTY?

That is why he can not read English. He was not taught how to read English. He did sign Ethiopia Sign Language but he did learned how to sign ASL (probably not all of it).

Back