Deaf Kitten, A Maine Coon

Jay42

Reaction score
This is not an advertisement. I fully accept a deletion and a ban if this goes against the rules on this forum but I didn't know where else to turn. I am not looking to sell anything on this forum.

My wife and I breed Maine Coon cats and have a deaf kitten; apparently there is a 5-25% chance of white cats being deaf in the breed depending on eye color, genetics, and a myriad other factors. We've never run into this situation so I figured I'd ask your community for some input.

He's the sweetest of the litter and has the incredible features of a kitten for his age in his breed. Here's the kitter

bMw63u2.jpg

fLcfmRU.jpg

On one hand being deaf is considered a disability and we're not sure if our price should go way down for Felix. On the other hand I've never seen a kitten at his age so chill and I don't think there's anything wrong with him in his ability to live a rich cat-life.

Please let us know what you think as we would value your input in contrast to our cat breeding community. Again if this is inappropriate let me know outright or via PM.

Jay

I can't say about pricing because it depends on what you think you can get for it.

Being a Maine Coon, he's already a chill cat. His deafness probably adds to that because he can't hear sounds.

I have a cat that is mostly, if not totally, a Maine Coon. We got him at a home giving away free kittens which is why I don't know his pedigree. We had no clue at that time what we were getting, but love his laid-back attitude.

I would take him :) my husband loves Maine coons and he is cute. Anyways I would ask the same as the others and see if anyone wants him. If not drop the price. Some people go out of their way to find a deaf animal

I would take him :) my husband loves Maine coons and he is cute. Anyways I would ask the same as the others and see if anyone wants him. If not drop the price. Some people go out of their way to find a deaf animal
But usually we are rescuing them, since technically, reputable breeders are supposed to destroy them.

Asking extra is certainly a new twist...

OP- do you show? My personal feeling is - if you show and compete seriously in the cat fancy, then you may have do something different with pricing as a breeder, especially if you are a COE breeder and part of a parent club - if there is such a thing in cats. If you are not involved in that way, I don't think you should do anything different with pricing because it comes across as labeling the kitten "defective merchandise" and he is a live, feeling being, not a chair. If you want "average" or "pet" adopters - as opposed to show-only homes - to see him a responsibility the same as any other kitten, I think it sends the wrong message to have his price be different.

OP- do you show? My personal feeling is - if you show and compete seriously in the cat fancy, then you may have do something different with pricing as a breeder, especially if you are a COE breeder and part of a parent club - if there is such a thing in cats. If you are not involved in that way, I don't think you should do anything different with pricing because it comes across as labeling the kitten "defective merchandise" and he is a live, feeling being, not a chair. If you want "average" or "pet" adopters - as opposed to show-only homes - to see him a responsibility the same as any other kitten, I think it sends the wrong message to have his price be different.
Thank you for that. We're going to advertise him no different in price than his siblings.

Thank you for that. We're going to advertise him no different in price than his siblings.

Yeah, I wouldn't reduce the price of anything. You're doing the right thing, just advertise him the same price but casually note that he is in fact also deaf.

He's kind of crabby, actually. He beats up dogs. :lol: He really does. My black lab is terrified of him.

And just an FYI - he's not a Maine Coon. He's just a DLH (domestic long-haired) cat. He was taken in as a stray.

He's kind of crabby, actually. He beats up dogs. :lol: He really does. My black lab is terrified of him.
I wouldn't have understood how funny that is until now. Does your kitter need any special considerations? Nutrition or otherwise?

Having spent time with Felix had been a window into his world. He's sofa king sweet to us but communicates with his siblings through outright claws-out violence or over-lovey-ness.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    969.8 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    755.4 KB · Views: 6
I wouldn't have understood how funny that is until now. Does your kitter need any special considerations? Nutrition or otherwise?

Having spent time with Felix had been a window into his world. He's sofa king sweet to us but communicates with his siblings through outright claws-out violence or over-lovey-ness.

Cute :)

No special needs. I think him having been deaf all his life he doesn't understand that there is actually sound out there. It's not like I can have a sit-down conversation with him and explain that. :lol: LOL He loves to sleep by the windows and gaze outside all day. We have a cat harness for him and will take him outside so he can play. But we can't let him be an outdoor cat on his own because he would never hear predators coming, and we all live out in the country where I'm aware there are wolves, coyotes, etc.

I wish you lived by me Jay, I would take him my husbands favorite breed of cat is Maine coons, and I want a deaf kitty to be my companion kitty

Hi I am wondering do you still have the deaf kitty or already got adopted? I m looking for Maine coon deaf kitten s I used to have a blind cat and other cat was Maine coon I have had for 17 years

Back