Deaf & KFC drive-thru

ExR

Reaction score
How do you guys go through KFC drive-thru (or any other microphone operated drive through for that matter) when you're alone?

Here, KFC uses a microphone system where you're unable to see the operator while placing your order. You stop your car at a certain point, and speak into the microphone. After making your order, you get asked to drive round to the payment & collection point. This system is rubbish for the deaf. While I'm not profoundly deaf, I sometimes struggle with this. It makes me wonder how severely or profoundly deaf people go through this process. (while alone) Do you avoid it completely?

ExR

I just go inside. But if I go alone, I am walking anyway, so I guess that doesn't really count.

You can also drive up to the window and place your order directly with the cashier. I do that if the microphone is not working or when I am mad after they have messed up my order for the thousandth time.

I just go inside if I had to do this. Some people might drive up to window and order from there instead at microphone area.

I go up to the window every time and order right from there. So far nobody has ever given me a hard time about it.

But there are some fast food places that are now starting to display what you've ordered, so at those places I'm fine with trying from the microphone and double-check what I ordered to be sure they understood me right. And at that point they start talking, probably telling me the total or to super-size or whatever, and I just say that I am deaf and I am done ordering and I just go to the window to pay.

You can also drive up to the window and place your order directly with the cashier. I do that if the microphone is not working or when I am mad after they have messed up my order for the thousandth time.

Same here.

I would drive up and hand her/him piece of paper that I've written down what I wanted to order. It works fine so far..if she/he won't cooperate then I'll go inside and report on that person who don't cooperate. One time it did happened to me and I got free meal.

I would drive up and hand her/him piece of paper that I've written down what I wanted to order. It works fine so far..if she/he won't cooperate then I'll go inside and report on that person who don't cooperate. One time it did happened to me and I got free meal.

I am going to give this a go, too often I don't hear (see) them calling me and someone jumps the queue. This would solve the problem.

Nice tip, thanks :lol:

I do the same thing. One time when I drove through a McDonalds drive thru, they gave me attitude problem. I saw on their window CLEARLY that says "accessible for the hearing impaired", I waved at them to catch their attention (they were yelling at me consistenly) and pointed them at THAT sign. They shut their mouth, read it and whoa, boy how apologetic they were! I asked them for their store manager, he came up and straightened everything out and gave me thanks. Told me that he will put up a sign to accept any deaf in drive thru.

*sigh* what a world... what a world....

I do the same thing. One time when I drove through a McDonalds drive thru, they gave me attitude problem. I saw on their window CLEARLY that says "accessible for the hearing impaired", I waved at them to catch their attention (they were yelling at me consistenly) and pointed them at THAT sign. They shut their mouth, read it and whoa, boy how apologetic they were! I asked them for their store manager, he came up and straightened everything out and gave me thanks. Told me that he will put up a sign to accept any deaf in drive thru.

*sigh* what a world... what a world....

Is this the McD's on Elkton RD across from the truck stop restaurant? I will have to try that out since my office is a couple miles from there.

I always go in, since the speakers used in these drive thrus sound like shit 99% of the time, and the displays are usually not working....plus I don't have the patience to deal with idiots like you experienced. :roll:

Is this the McD's on Elkton RD across from the truck stop restaurant? I will have to try that out since my office is a couple miles from there.

I always go in, since the speakers used in these drive thrus sound like shit 99% of the time, and the displays are usually not working....plus I don't have the patience to deal with idiots like you experienced. :roll:

The mcdo that I went to was in dover. Right now I am in sonic drive in waiting for my dood hehe. Its in elkton...

How do you guys go through KFC drive-thru (or any other microphone operated drive through for that matter) when you're alone?

Here, KFC uses a microphone system where you're unable to see the operator while placing your order. You stop your car at a certain point, and speak into the microphone. After making your order, you get asked to drive round to the payment & collection point. This system is rubbish for the deaf. While I'm not profoundly deaf, I sometimes struggle with this. It makes me wonder how severely or profoundly deaf people go through this process. (while alone) Do you avoid it completely?

ExR

I noticed you are in the UK. Did you see this on "An Idiot Abroad"? (funny,funny show btw)
This thread made me think of that place he visited in Cairo, supposedly the first KFC run all by deaf/hoh.
I found a youtube clip of that place [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDnbYg6KJUI"]here[/ame]

That is a great video, Elliott's Dad. Thanks for sharing !!!!

Back