Deaf Interview

tbone

Reaction score
Please do not be offended in what I'm about to ask but in case my teacher's friend decides not to not accept my interview request, would anyone in here be interested and comfortable having me interview them?

If you do not feel comfortable being interviewed, then you may choose not to participate. I think my teacher prefers me to interview a person who is profoundly deaf (one who was born deaf).

Thank you for your help. Have a great day.

-Ryan

Ryan: how one "deals with" being "deaf" is highly specific to you. Does one "withdraw" into passivity OR say get A Cochlear Implant Or Learn ASL? Specific to an individual person.

Not everybody "agrees with this theory". One's choice.

Implanted AB Harmony activated Aug/07

I am not trying to insult or offend any person here. And yes, I do know that I am blessed with being a hearing person and I do not take that for granted. I am blessed to have given the privilege of getting to know my deaf teacher, Tim, he is amazing! He has really showed me that there are great people in this world :) You guys are my light and I want to be as intact and strong with my feelings as you are.

I am not trying to influence anyone who is deaf to get a cochlear implant and I am not trying to take away from your (their) self-worth.

I respect all people, regardless of whether they're deaf, hearing, HOH, or of a different race and/or genetic disorder. I would like to just simply interview a deaf person for my paper.

I will do anything for that person in return, I will even send them a copy of my paper via e-mail.

I apologize if I have hurt anyone's feelings. It was never my intention to make you feel bad if I did. I truly, truly care about you and I would not want you to change who you are because YOU ARE PERFECT! God created you in His own IMAGE!

From the bottom of my heart, I care about all people.

Don't worry. Probably no one is offended. Just bored. This is an assignment we are asked to answer several times a semester.

Most people just post their questions, and whoever is available and wants to can answer.

I will probably ask some of the most boring questions but that person and I will have a "fun" interview. I guarantee that! I am a quirky guy :)

I will probably ask some of the most boring questions but that person and I will have a "fun" interview. I guarantee that! I am a quirky guy :)

You understand I mean just write your questions down and put them up here in this thread?

I understand what you're saying but I need to use my limited vocabulary in ASL to ask these questions. If I didn't do that, then I would gain the experience of communicating with a deaf person outside of class.

I understand what you're saying but I need to use my limited vocabulary in ASL to ask these questions. If I didn't do that, then I would gain the experience of communicating with a deaf person outside of class.

You mean you wouldn't?

You mean you wouldn't?

I'd be getting the answers to questions I need which would be nice but I'd rather prefer to see the person's face and communicate that way. I'm pretty sure that's what my teacher would want to. But if I have to make a list...

1) Your name what? (What's your name?)
2) You deaf? You hearing? (Are you deaf or hearing?)
3) You from where? (Where are you from?)
4) You live where? (Where do you live?)
5)You live condo? house? apartment? (Do you live in an apartment, condo, or a house?)
6) You have pets? How many? What kind?
7) You how many years? (How old are you?)
8) Brothers and sisters, how many? Deaf or hearing?
9) Parents? Deaf or hearing?
10) Are you first generation deaf? 2nd? or 3rd?
11) You marry? You single? You divorce? (Are you single, divorced, or married?) If married, what's your spouse's name? Are they deaf or hearing?
12) You have children? (Do you have children?) If so, how many? How many deaf? How many hearing?
13) Favorite hobby or sport?
14) Do you drive? What kind of car?
15) How do you wake up in the morning?
16) What devices in your home assist you?
17) Are you going to the Deaf Expo? What's your favorite thing about Deaf Expo?
18) Did you go to a deaf school? Residential school? Mainstream school? What was it like?
19) Did you go to college? What was your major?
20) What do you honestly think about hearing people?
21) What do hearing people do that bother you?
22) Do you like to read books? What is your favorite book?
23) Do you watch pro wrestling? If so, who's your favorite wrestler? What's your favorite match of all time?
24) What's your favorite food?
25) What's your favorite drink?
26) What can I do to make life easier on you?

This is just a list of a few questions I had. Thanks for answering! :)

27) Are you a Christian? What do you value?
28) What do you honestly think about cochlear impants?
29) What are you most proud of?
30) What do you do for an occupation? What's your dream job?
31) What do you think the future holds?

1. You go school, where?

2. Someone deaf in every college community.

3. You try find?

I've tried. I go to the University of Iowa. I might interview another deaf instructor.

Don't you think it is sooooo personal for us to answer your questions? Would you like us to ask you this personal questions online? Why is it sooo important for us to answer your questions like that? :hmm:

No, it is best we keep our private lives that way there will be no scammers or spammers online. On the internet, it is trouble if giving you the information on this public questions. Sorry, I can not answer your questions. It is for our protection only.

I'd be getting the answers to questions I need which would be nice but I'd rather prefer to see the person's face and communicate that way. I'm pretty sure that's what my teacher would want to. But if I have to make a list...

1) Your name what? (What's your name?)
2) You deaf? You hearing? (Are you deaf or hearing?)
3) You from where? (Where are you from?)
4) You live where? (Where do you live?)
5)You live condo? house? apartment? (Do you live in an apartment, condo, or a house?)
6) You have pets? How many? What kind?
7) You how many years? (How old are you?)
8) Brothers and sisters, how many? Deaf or hearing?
9) Parents? Deaf or hearing?
10) Are you first generation deaf? 2nd? or 3rd?
11) You marry? You single? You divorce? (Are you single, divorced, or married?) If married, what's your spouse's name? Are they deaf or hearing?
12) You have children? (Do you have children?) If so, how many? How many deaf? How many hearing?
13) Favorite hobby or sport?
14) Do you drive? What kind of car?
15) How do you wake up in the morning?
16) What devices in your home assist you?
17) Are you going to the Deaf Expo? What's your favorite thing about Deaf Expo?
18) Did you go to a deaf school? Residential school? Mainstream school? What was it like?
19) Did you go to college? What was your major?
20) What do you honestly think about hearing people?
21) What do hearing people do that bother you?
22) Do you like to read books? What is your favorite book?
23) Do you watch pro wrestling? If so, who's your favorite wrestler? What's your favorite match of all time?
24) What's your favorite food?
25) What's your favorite drink?
26) What can I do to make life easier on you?

This is just a list of a few questions I had. Thanks for answering! :)

On the bold statement, that is a lot of questions (26) including the next post for 5 more questions. It is not a few questions. :roll:

Poor Ryan, he asks to interview someone face to face, and is asked to post his questions, then chastised for asking such questions online after he does so with great reluctance :)

Skype, in the ASL practice section is a good option. I'm answering below for my daughter:

1) Your name what? (What's your name?) Li
2) You deaf? You hearing? (Are you deaf or hearing?) she answers this in 2 different ways: "deaf" or "deaf ... and hearing"
3) You from where? (Where are you from?) Jiangxi, China
4) You live where? (Where do you live?) Massachusetts
5)You live condo? house? apartment? (Do you live in an apartment, condo, or a house?) house
6) You have pets? How many? What kind? 2 dog, 1 cat, 15 chicken
7) You how many years? (How old are you?) 5
8) Brothers and sisters, how many? Deaf or hearing? none (known)
9) Parents? Deaf or hearing? hearing
10) Are you first generation deaf? 2nd? or 3rd? unknown (adopted)
11) You marry? You single? You divorce? (Are you single, divorced, or married?) If married, what's your spouse's name? Are they deaf or hearing? single :)
12) You have children? (Do you have children?) If so, how many? How many deaf? How many hearing? no
13) Favorite hobby or sport? kung fu
14) Do you drive? What kind of car? nooooooo
15) How do you wake up in the morning? weekdays: mama and dogs leap on her; weekends, 5am without assistance, bright eyed and bushy tailed
16) What devices in your home assist you? assuming you mean those specific to being deaf: videophone, captions on TVs, CI battery charger, Internet
17) Are you going to the Deaf Expo? What's your favorite thing about Deaf Expo? No
18) Did you go to a deaf school? Residential school? Mainstream school? What was it like? deaf school (bi-bi) -- loves school
19) Did you go to college? What was your major? she will :)
20) What do you honestly think about hearing people? Doesn't yet differentiate, except for switching languages with one or the other
21) What do hearing people do that bother you? They make her eat vegetables.
22) Do you like to read books? What is your favorite book? Loves all books, favorite right now: Spiderman series
23) Do you watch pro wrestling? If so, who's your favorite wrestler? What's your favorite match of all time? No
24) What's your favorite food? Pasta
25) What's your favorite drink? Milk / strawberry and cream at starbucks
26) What can I do to make life easier on you? ? I don't know ... send me to DisneyWorld?
27) Are you a Christian? What do you value? Can't answer that. Family, friends, the earth, animals, life, love, happiness, freedom, learning, scissors, glue, Avatar (the last Airbender) ...
28) What do you honestly think about cochlear implants? She insists that they are on from morning to night, I think she finds them to be extremely useful tools. She gets excited when she see others wearing them.
29) What are you most proud of? Her constructions made from toothpicks and marshmallows, drawings, and her baby chicks.
30) What do you do for an occupation? What's your dream job? he is a student, she wants to be the next Avatar (a kung fu master who controls the air, earth, water, fire)
31) What do you think the future holds? Promise, opportunity, candy

Grendel, a small child is the only one who could answer these honestly and unselfconsciously without making lots of enemies.

None of these students ever got so personal before.

I would be interested in the response he gets if he can find a live face to face subject in his community.

Grendel, THANK YOU OH SO MUCH! It would warm my heart to meet your little girl very much! :) I think my teacher, Tim, will have a blast reading this paper from a child's perspective.

Bottesini, I guarantee is I asked a deaf person some of these questions in public, they may just walk away from me.

Don't you think it is sooooo personal for us to answer your questions? Would you like us to ask you this personal questions online? Why is it sooo important for us to answer your questions like that? :hmm:
No, it is best we keep our private lives that way there will be no scammers or spammers online. On the internet, it is trouble if giving you the information on this public questions. Sorry, I can not answer your questions. It is for our protection only.

It's quite alright, no hard feelings. :) You have every right not to answer these questions. Just know that I would never try to embarrass you or anybody else. I genuinely care for people and would not like to embarrass or hurt them. I apologize for making you feel bad.

And if you would like to, you can ask me personal questions. I will not give out my address, credit card number, or phone number though.

It's quite alright, no hard feelings. :) You have every right not to answer these questions. Just know that I would never try to embarrass you or anybody else. I genuinely care for people and would not like to embarrass or hurt them. I apologize for making you feel bad.

And if you would like to, you can ask me personal questions. I will not give out my address, credit card number, or phone number though.

1) What is your mother's maiden name?
2) What is your birthdate?
3) What is your city, state and zip code?
4) Is your blood type A+, AB+, B+, O+, A-, AB-, B- or O-?
5) What is the CVV code on your primary credit card (the number on the back)?

:giggle:

Most of the questions struck me as the sort you'd ask in a "getting to know you" sort of situation, like if you're at dinner with someone. It's not like you're looking for state secrets, so it should be fine ;)

Back