Deaf in Nashville

n.bex

Reaction score
Hey, Bex here. I am recently deaf since March due to an injury and not gonna lie, the silence is at times unbearable. I am very much a soldier on kind of gal, but realizing I may need some support. Tried to find deaf communities in Nashville, but not sure if there is a secret club knock or what, but it doesn't seem like much is here. I am taking speech classes and also ASL so hope to become better in communicating. I am a screenwriter and miss conversation immensely! Not sure if anyone else is out there like me, just looking for some friends that can relate. Hope everyone is having a lovely day! :)

Hey, Bex here. I am recently deaf since March due to an injury and not gonna lie, the silence is at times unbearable. I am very much a soldier on kind of gal, but realizing I may need some support. Tried to find deaf communities in Nashville, but not sure if there is a secret club knock or what, but it doesn't seem like much is here. I am taking speech classes and also ASL so hope to become better in communicating. I am a screenwriter and miss conversation immensely! Not sure if anyone else is out there like me, just looking for some friends that can relate. Hope everyone is having a lovely day! :)
Welcome to Deaf World! Once you’re fall into it, you will love it except missing out the sound of music.

Thank you! I do miss music tremendously but I am coming around to other experiences being deaf. Definately life-changing but appreciate the support and warm welcome :)

Hi,
I just started all deaf.com app and I was born- deaf, know what it’s like to endure silence all time, but I love silence. I’m a person with cochlear implants.
I hope I embrace the silence like you one day! I currently have bone conduction aids. It is interesting hearing through vibrations...or feeling anyway lol

Father's day this year someone stole our car and I had my Ha in the center console.im deaf in my left ear and profoundly hoh in the right side trying to find someone who will teach asl 1 on 1 with me. Or find a group to learn from

They found the car w/o the Ha in the car.and I had to pay cash for the Ha's they were not cheap

They found the car w/o the Ha in the car.and I had to pay cash for the Ha's they were not cheap
The person/people that took the car may have thought the hearing aid was an ear phone. A delivery driver that brought me things the other day had one one that looked so much like either bte hearing aid or a CI processor that I asked her about it. It was an ear phone for her cell phone etc!

They were starkey livio 2400 Ha. And at the time I had no insurance had to pay for them with cash...

There was a lady on here in Nashville looking for same, just spent hour trying to find, got tired of looking, not good with this sight, think I told her try library, for me wasn't great help but some good leads, resource centers for disabled have diferent names, and you might try some state and or local government offices ask for an interpreter or hospital resource where they git interpreter from. Took me a year to find mine here in NW Ark, lot of people say collage mine was no help, tried all the local audiology clinics they were a waist of time guess that would hurt there business, good luck and have an awesome adventure :ily:

Hey, Bex here. I am recently deaf since March due to an injury and not gonna lie, the silence is at times unbearable. I am very much a soldier on kind of gal, but realizing I may need some support. Tried to find deaf communities in Nashville, but not sure if there is a secret club knock or what, but it doesn't seem like much is here. I am taking speech classes and also ASL so hope to become better at communicating. I am a screenwriter and miss conversation immensely! Not sure if anyone else is out there like me, just looking for some friends that can relate. Hope everyone is having a lovely day! :)
I am not deaf but I feel your pain

There was a lady on here in Nashville looking for same, just spent hour trying to find, got tired of looking, not good with this sight, think I told her try library, for me wasn't great help but some good leads, resource centers for disabled have diferent names, and you might try some state and or local government offices ask for an interpreter or hospital resource where they git interpreter from. Took me a year to find mine here in NW Ark, lot of people say collage mine was no help, tried all the local audiology clinics they were a waist of time guess that would hurt there business, good luck and have an awesome adventure :ily:
@Old Analog Thank you so much! And yes...I have tried several of those places! And is it just me or do Audiologist act like you can hear? It is like I am literally here because I am deaf, you know I am deaf, yet you still walk away or turn when speaking. I don't get it. I have some great Audiologists, but I feel like they are all missing that REALLY main factor when dealing with the deaf. hahah. I have tried library, if anything I found some amazing books. I think Life after Deaf is one of my faves and feel I can relate to it! Thanks for your feedback and I will continue on this adventure in search for more resources :)

It might help if you told us which Nashville! There is a Nashville in several states. Of course, the best known one in TN which I am sure is what most of us think of first.

Then I think I saw where n.bex was reporting problems using the dirve-thru at a fast food restaurant. For any of us that can speak for ourselves more places a installing screens that show what we are ordering as we order. Even in the small town in Southern Illinois where I live places like McDonald's have it. Theirs shows up in the bottom left hand corner of the BIG screen with menu items on it. There are also other places that have something similar in different sizes and shapes.

Welcome to the community. I hope this finds you well. There are things to miss and things to embrace; sending you all the best for

It might help if you told us which Nashville! There is a Nashville in several states. Of course, the best known one in TN which I am sure is what most of us think of first.

Then I think I saw where n.bex was reporting problems using the dirve-thru at a fast food restaurant. For any of us that can speak for ourselves more places a installing screens that show what we are ordering as we order. Even in the small town in Southern Illinois where I live places like McDonald's have it. Theirs shows up in the bottom left hand corner of the BIG screen with menu items on it. There are also other places that have something similar in different sizes and shapes.
Hi @Jane B. - Yes, Nashville, TN, apologies. And Yes I did report on another thread with difficulties I found at drive thrus. I will have to look for this screen you speak of. Thanks so much!

Another thing. Being new I don't know if you have seen any of my posts about InnoCaption for cell phones. I really like it and have it set so that all calls to my regular cell number are forwarded to my number from InnoCaption. Thus ALL calls are captioned. It is slightly slower than listening to someone's voice because of the need from the captions to be done (although created in real time) and you read along. You do have to voice you side of the conversation. There are a lot of features so rather than try to post everything here is there site address: https://www.innocaption.com/who-we-are

Yes I did see your suggestion to someone about Innocaptions. I am currently using Captionmate and have my number linked for call forwarding. So far my experience with it has been a positive one, but will definitely check out Innocaptions as well and compate the two! Thanks for the suggestion!

Back