deaf in a hearing job

deafjellyfish

Reaction score
:eek3:i'm new to the boards...i was wondering how many of you are d/Deaf and work mostly in the hearing world? how do you manage? does your employer make any special accomodations for you? how well do you cope with your hearing co-workers?

just curious. thanks.

First of all, deafjellyfish, :welcome: to alldeaf (ad or AD for short)!

I'm a student, but also work part-time in delivery and my employer knows that I can't hear on the phone there, so I don't answer it or take orders. That being said, he also knows, as do the other supervisors, to get my attention to either wave or tap/pound on the table or something that I'm attached to. They have been good on that. My hearing dog, Snickers, rides with me, but is confined to her regular seat in the back.

Where there's a will, there's a way around most anything, deafjellyfish, so don't let anyone tell you that you can't do any specific job. ;)

I have an example -- I work in the hearing world. I work for the australian government down here. Where I work has a lot of technology that I can access, like email, IM, TTY. I have been there for a year now, and still at it present. The other co workers are very friendly, I am enjoying the flexible enviroment. :D

I work in hearing job. i used to people who has kind of attention with me like body language or chat with lip reading.

i not have tty or imland but only use the emails to commuincation, too.

thank you for your advice. my employer is pretty accomodating for the most part. people are finally getting used to approaching me from the front and not coming up behind me. or they tap on my desk sumx. i do wish i had someone to sign with, nobody at work does. but, that's okay i suppose. i guess i could teach them a thing or two!!

thank you for your advice. my employer is pretty accomodating for the most part. people are finally getting used to approaching me from the front and not coming up behind me. or they tap on my desk sumx. i do wish i had someone to sign with, nobody at work does. but, that's okay i suppose. i guess i could teach them a thing or two!!

What do you do?

I in the hearing world too. I write code.

Welcome to AllDeaf! :)

I worked at a local video rental store years ago and I was the only deaf employee there. It worked out well for me since they were very understanding.

I did have a customer call once and I answered the phone. She was talking really fast and it was hard to understand what she was saying. So, I asked her if she could repeat and she yelled... "What are you... DEAF!?" I calmly replied... "Yes, ma'am. I am." Her response? "Oh, sorry..." then she hung up. Hehehe!

Welcome to AllDeaf! :)

I worked at a local video rental store years ago and I was the only deaf employee there. It worked out well for me since they were very understanding.

I did have a customer call once and I answered the phone. She was talking really fast and it was hard to understand what she was saying. So, I asked her if she could repeat and she yelled... "What are you... DEAF!?" I calmly replied... "Yes, ma'am. I am." Her response? "Oh, sorry..." then she hung up. Hehehe!

Oooooh!

:eek3:i'm new to the boards...i was wondering how many of you are d/Deaf and work mostly in the hearing world? how do you manage? does your employer make any special accomodations for you? how well do you cope with your hearing co-workers?

just curious. thanks.

I am rural carrier so I do well in hearing world even I am having hard time to communicate with those non-speaking english people sometime. Sometime my co-workers would leave me notes about this or that. I carry pad with me in my vehicle to have them to write down if I do not understand them. Sometime I understand them but if they have accents, forget it. When my vehicle break down, I text my boss to let her know what was happened with vehicle, if my boss is not in the office then I text my husband and he would call one of the clerk to call tow truck to bring it back to PO. Today I met a new worker and I could not read her lip when she tried to said his name Zeek. I was loss when she do try to tell me when she pronounced his name ezecke. I never heard of that name. Oh well. I am doing great and many time people was so happy and wanted to show me their sign languages. Now I know who my new customers, the one know sign language. :) Rest of the custoemrs, they are learning to communicate with me thru paper, home sign or talk clearly if I can unds them. Oh today for instance, I accidetnly closed the back door locked and did not know other co-worker was outside to put the cases in the vehicles. She asked one of my other co-worker how to say this sign. When she leaves, she stopped and told me "You locked me out". I said oops, "I did not see u out there".

ha. or i like how if you can hear just alittle bit and you speak well, people at work may not think your deaf. or your faking it. :pissed: people are dumb.

I hear you on that one! (no pun intended) I work in a small boutique and it has been VERY frustrating. For the 5 years I have been there, I have been "hearing" and now I am hard of hearing. I have a pin that says "Please look at me and speak slowly and clearly...I am hard of hearing" and I wear it when I go into work. Unfortunately, people don't remember, or they forget, or they don't see the button, or ....

I am *slowly* picking up on lip-reading, but people are just annoying and ignorant. My ASL teacher told that "patience must come from both sides" grrrrrrr. I hate being patient with stupid people! But I guess they need it most.
I get stupid comments like "But you speak so fluently" or "Why don't you get one of those implant things" or "Did you ever consider a hearing aid?" or people want to pry into my medical history and that's just no appropriate.

just curious. thanks.

In the summer I worked for a research lab. Most of my co-workers were visiting MD/PhD from Japan and didn't speak English really. I didn't understand anything they say, and they didn't with me also. But they were no problem because my work was alone. I was given a list of assays (like experiments) I must do and this took weeks. Once a week the lab had a meeting but this was too high for me (more MD/PhD) so I read the article (or pretend :giggle:) and nothing more.

Most of the lab skills I learned in classes. Some I learned from a hearing tech. It was hard, but I also had instructions from lab companies to read. When I knew the skills, I worked alone. It was ok but lonely and boring.

I hear you on that one! (no pun intended) I work in a small boutique and it has been VERY frustrating. For the 5 years I have been there, I have been "hearing" and now I am hard of hearing. I have a pin that says "Please look at me and speak slowly and clearly...I am hard of hearing" and I wear it when I go into work. Unfortunately, people don't remember, or they forget, or they don't see the button, or ....

I am *slowly* picking up on lip-reading, but people are just annoying and ignorant. My ASL teacher told that "patience must come from both sides" grrrrrrr. I hate being patient with stupid people! But I guess they need it most.
I get stupid comments like "But you speak so fluently" or "Why don't you get one of those implant things" or "Did you ever consider a hearing aid?" or people want to pry into my medical history and that's just no appropriate.

where did you find your pin? i'm assuming online? that's creative.
for the most part i don't like to be tapped on the shoulder from behind, there is a woman at work who does that and it scares the *poop* out of me every time. and i tell her, but she still does it. whatever, i suppose! :pissed:

i speak very well, but have moments (so i'm told) where my speech is off or some words sound different from a hearie. so i believe that is why people forget, because since i talk and lipread well, i must be able to hear them! gee, why didn't i think of that one?

patience does come from both sides, but i am losing patience. ha.

i sympathize with your situation with work and the hearing.

Back