Deaf Humor?

fredfam1

Reaction score
I have a hobby of studying humor of different cultures. And I am fascinated
by the fact that for something to be funny to a Deaf person it has to be
visual in nature, generally speaking. Having noted that, here is my question.

Is Dave Armand, aka Johan Liebowitz as funny to Deaf people as he is to HOH, hoh, deaf, and Hearing? I was studying some of his visual jokes and
it seemed to me alot of them relied on phonic awareness. Personally, he
cracks me up, but then I'm hearing.

Humor is always subjective to the person. Just like some will find Chris Rock funny, and some will not. I've had conversations with some deaf friends and we were having some great times with our sides hurtin', tears out of our eyes. But other deaf participates didn't really enjoy the scene, as they may have stated that we were immature due to the nature of the conversation & visual accounts, and everything.

While you probably already knew that everybody reacts to different humor, and it is a valid question. But unfortunately, there is other layers to consider such as social status, sex, culture background, age, religion, and so forth that might influence what a deaf person might find as funny just as it would to one that was hearing abled. Hopefully that helps, albeit probably not the answer you were looking for.

I don't know who Dave Armand is, but THIS guy is funny as hell!!

[yt]I9y0LuOfvgw[/yt] :giggle:

Check out his other clips on the Tube!
The one about the bar getting robbed is quite funny too.

LOL!

:rofl:

I was laughing laughing laughing with his head stuck to the wall - then the CI and skin! I made so much noise my roommates came and thought something was wrong.

:ty: Keanusmom.

(And a CI thread that makes everyone smile and laugh! :fingersx:)

It's gonna be a BIG OUCH if it's actually happened to someone else. Wow, funny one nonetheless.

I just learned a sign for C.I. in Italian :P

LOL! That's a funny clip.

It's gonna be a BIG OUCH if it's actually happened to someone else. Wow, funny one nonetheless.

I just learned a sign for C.I. in Italian :P

Actually, it's German. (At least, the text at the end was in German.)

Glad you all enjoyed the clip.

My son hollers every time he watches it! LOL

Unless you were on a wall of MAGNET it could never happen, but that is just too funny!

I am the kind of person I can laugh at anything.
So, I hope I don't offend anyone or give nightmares! LOL

oh OW!!

Neat to see some German sign, I never have before. His facial expressions were hilarious.

I have a hobby of studying humor of different cultures. And I am fascinated
by the fact that for something to be funny to a Deaf person it has to be
visual in nature, generally speaking. Having noted that, here is my question.

Is Dave Armand, aka Johan Liebowitz as funny to Deaf people as he is to HOH, hoh, deaf, and Hearing? I was studying some of his visual jokes and
it seemed to me alot of them relied on phonic awareness. Personally, he
cracks me up, but then I'm hearing.

You should check out Keith Wann.. he is hearing but his parents were deaf and he grew up in the deaf culture... his jokes is soo hilarious....

Thanks everyone! This gives me stuff to study. Now to go
watch some funny Deaf stuff. (I hope I get it!):fingersx:

You should check out Keith Wann.. he is hearing but his parents were deaf and he grew up in the deaf culture... his jokes is soo hilarious....

I really like Keith Wann too. He's hilarious. He came to a deaf event at my school. He talked to everyone afterward. I was laughing so hard I cried the entire time!!!!:rofl:

Oh my God, Keith Wann is absolutely hilarious! I love his 'I Like Big Buts' clip.

I love his "hearing driver and deaf driver". :laugh2: My sister hates when I sign and drive - we share our car! :Oops: :lol:

SxyPorkie: I didn't know Keith Wann was CODA - I thought he was deaf. But you are right.

The funny man in the video about CI stuck to the wall - is he deaf/HoH?

My own real life hearing driver experiance

I met this Deaf lady at a Deaf softball game in Alaska.
She needed a ride so I volunteered.
We had been having a wonderful signing conversation
prior to getting in my car.
(My problem is I have a tendency to turn the steering
wheel which ever direction I am glancing)
Every time I tried to glance over and understand what
she was signing the car would veer to the left.
Finally she just signed, "Pay Attention to the road"
We sign later!" The poor thing was just pale!

The CODA BROTHERS, under the name Olsenterp on YouTube, are giving Keith Wann a run for his money in the funny department, watch them! SH*T is a good one to start with, or HOME SIGNS if you don't know them yet :)

Back