Deaf/HoH Gay Community

Lennaire

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm a hearing, gay man; obviously since I'm posting in the Gay forum. :lol:

At the beginning of the summer I received a message on OkCupid from a deaf man near me who was interested in getting to know me. We texted back and forth a lot and then met up for out first date.

We gone out a few times since then and decided that we would be friends since there wasn't any real chemistry.

Then this weekend, I received another message, again through OkCupid from another deaf man.

I find this to be very interesting, especially since I tend to have terrible luck when it comes to dating in general, any kind of dating whether it be online or meeting the good, old fashioned way.

I've never personally known any Deaf or HoH people before, though I had started teaching myself ASL simply because I enjoy learning new languages and ASL is really beautiful.

I think that I posted that I know a little ASL on my profile and I wonder if that's one of the reasons that I received those emails.

Any thoughts? I'm very interested to see what people think.

I think they thought that you'd be able to communicate somewhat with them or maybe they just saw something they like on your profile. Probably best to ask them.

Well it's interesting to me since I have heard so many different things about deaf and hearing relationships.

My guess was that they saw that I have some experience with ASL and thought that was interesting. I'd like to think that they saw something else there too. Lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AllDeaf App mobile app

If you don't mind me asking, how did the first date go? Was there a communication barrier?

Thr first date went pretty well actually. We went to the museum of natural history in NYC.

There was a bit of a communication barrier but he was really, really good at reading lips and could speak a tiny bit. So that was a help at the beginning since it had been a while since I had used any if the ASL I had taught myself.

Well I started learning before I met this guy and I've continued learning since he stopped talking to me.

I love learning new languages and ASL is so beautiful and expressive.

That's good to know. There seems to be some kind of taboo against this kind of thing happening.

I was hard-of-hearing (beyond that now) and met a hearing woman. We've been together for 20+ years. I knew pigeon sign that I learned at my corporation. I started with S.E.E. (made sense as I was in a hearing world) and learned a little ASL later. A gentleman at the corp. wrote a published book on computer terms and he had polio, so Steve taught us with one hand.

Anyway, anything is possible :) . It's not taboo where I come from and don't know why it would be.

Lennaire: I thought OkCupid turned into a bogus dating site as so many others are. I'm glad and surprised it's working for you.

Kudos on learning your way through ASL. I found it too confusing because the grammatical structure is so different than English.

I was hard-of-hearing (beyond that now) and met a hearing woman. We've been together for 20+ years. I knew pigeon sign that I learned at my corporation. I started with S.E.E. (made sense as I was in a hearing world) and learned a little ASL later. A gentleman at the corp. wrote a published book on computer terms and he had polio, so Steve taught us with one hand.

Anyway, anything is possible :) . It's not taboo where I come from and don't know why it would be.
What is the title of the book? Kind of curious. Thanks!

What is the title of the book? Kind of curious. Thanks!
Holy moley, I still have it and where it belongs with my other sign language books. Having it shocks the heck out of me. It is, "Signs for Computing Technology," by Steven L. Jamison. Copyright in 1983.

Holy moley, I still have it and where it belongs with my other sign language books. Having it shocks the heck out of me. It is, "Signs for Computing Technology," by Steven L. Jamison. Copyright in 1983.
LOL you sound like me with my books- fiction, non fiction, computer books... they're scattered all over (well packed in multiple boxes at the moment...).

thanks!

LOL you sound like me with my books- fiction, non fiction, computer books... they're scattered all over (well packed in multiple boxes at the moment...).

thanks!
Anything that makes you happy, DeafDucky, unless it goes against what I believe :) . I don't think that will be a problem with you.

I think maybe they saw you knew some sign and though you were attractive.Did you ever ask them?

That is actually how I found my girlfriend on PlentyofFish. She's hearing and I'm deaf but she understands deaf culture and knows sign language.... Not fluently but enough to make life easier for me lol. 3 years strong as of May 3rd :D

I think people can search based on shared interests

I'm deaf and I'm autism I'm looking boyfriend deaf only 18-25 top only I'm 50 I wanna be happy with deaf gay guy in my future I'm new in here in all deaf I'm from pigeon forge tn where Dolly Parton hometown and smoky mountain my all deaf friends know I'm bi-gay they care about me a lot I have two best friend deaf lesbians they hopefully I found boyfriend one day wanna cuddle and spend together chat with me in my future I'm open mind if any one your deaf friend looking for boyfriend welcome to my email michaelqueerboy@hotmail.com

I'm a hearing teen looking a deaf gay guy for friendship or relationship, also for ASL practice. kik me at d5slittle1

Don't have clue but I'm gay and profoundly Deaf not looking for hook up but if you lived in Billings mt be nice to have friend that wanted to learn sign

Sent from my XT830C using AllDeaf App mobile app

Back