Deaf/ Hard of Hearing Survey

jaimeraye182

Reaction score
Hello everyone! my name is Jaime. I'm am conducting a survey for willing participate for my deaf community and culture class . It is an 11 question question just wanting to know about you and your experience being Deaf/ HOH if anyone is will to participate please do so in the comments below. If you would rather not share that information publicly you are more than welcome to message me too. Thank you for your time and I hope you all have a wonderful day.

1. Name and Age:
  2. Where were you born?
  3. Where you born deaf or was there something else that caused you to become deaf?
  4. Did your parents/guardian encourage you communicate to sign language or were you encouraged to learn to oral methods of commutations?
  5. Did you ever attend any Deaf schools?

If so what was your experience like?

6. At any point in your life did you use hearing aids?

If so how was that experience for you?

7. Are things your struggle when dealing with the hearing world?

8. Are there things you struggle when it comes to the deaf world?

9. If you work, what do you do for a living?

10. Do you have any hobbies?

11. Since the start of the COVID-19, how has the pandemic affected you?

1) Toffee black (yes my RL name is Toffee)
2) England, Uk
3) Nope, I became deaf after a lot of childhood ear infections. I found out at the age of 27.
4) Nope because I was hearing in my school years.
5) Nope same answer as above.
6) Yea got my first pair at age of 27, I have written posts in here. When I first found out I needed hearing aids and I lost my hearing :)
7) Yea, I'm kind of too hearing to fit into the deaf world.
8) Yeh I'm too deaf to be in the hearing world. So I stick to what I know and I don't tell anyone in my social groups that I need hearing aids. I hide it quite well.
I relay on my husband to explain what people have said. He totally gets why I don't let people know I can't always here them.
9) due to a lot of illness I do not work unfortunately. I do miss working all the time.
10) Yea, I love making jewelry or at least trying to. I also like to read a lot.
11) It has kept me in doors alot more.
It also has made me more realistic values on who I let in my life. People have proven who cares and who doesn't. It's actually been quite interesting. You find out who has a real friendship with you or those which actually care.
Also I have learned my own limits. I know how much or little I do hear and I know that's it's easier to have a video call with someone it's easier to explain why you didn't catch something that someone may have said.
Thanks for your survey. Hope my replies help.

1) Toffee black (yes my RL name is Toffee)
2) England, Uk
3) Nope, I became deaf after a lot of childhood ear infections. I found out at the age of 27.
4) Nope because I was hearing in my school years.
5) Nope same answer as above.
6) Yea got my first pair at age of 27, I have written posts in here. When I first found out I needed hearing aids and I lost my hearing :)
7) Yea, I'm kind of too hearing to fit into the deaf world.
8) Yeh I'm too deaf to be in the hearing world. So I stick to what I know and I don't tell anyone in my social groups that I need hearing aids. I hide it quite well.
I relay on my husband to explain what people have said. He totally gets why I don't let people know I can't always here them.
9) due to a lot of illness I do not work unfortunately. I do miss working all the time.
10) Yea, I love making jewelry or at least trying to. I also like to read a lot.
11) It has kept me in doors alot more.
It also has made me more realistic values on who I let in my life. People have proven who cares and who doesn't. It's actually been quite interesting. You find out who has a real friendship with you or those which actually care.
Also I have learned my own limits. I know how much or little I do hear and I know that's it's easier to have a video call with someone it's easier to explain why you didn't catch something that someone may have said.
Thanks for your survey. Hope my replies help.
Thank you Toffee! You're will definitely help!
Can I ask the the back ground of your first name?
It's so unique I love it!

I have no idea. I know my mum liked the name. Unfortunately she passed away when I was 8 so never got to found out xx

Hello everyone! my name is Jaime. I'm am conducting a survey for willing participate for my deaf community and culture class . It is an 11 question question just wanting to know about you and your experience being Deaf/ HOH if anyone is will to participate please do so in the comments below. If you would rather not share that information publicly you are more than welcome to message me too. Thank you for your time and I hope you all have a wonderful day.

1. Name and Age:
  2. Where were you born?
  3. Where you born deaf or was there something else that caused you to become deaf?
  4. Did your parents/guardian encourage you communicate to sign language or were you encouraged to learn to oral methods of commutations?

1. Name and Age:
  2. Where were you born?

I also want you to know that I’m Deaf and I can help

1. Name and Age:
  2. Where were you born?

My name is Korey,I’m 51 and born in Iowa.I was born hearing and My hearing was damage due to the measles shot.
My Dad was married to a Deaf woman and she taught me. I did go to a normal school with a Interpreter.
I started out with hearing sids,as time went on “then”I did not have hearing aids for a long time.
I still struggle with hearing people today because not everyone understands.I work at a restaurant and my co-workers are learning sign language.

For my hobbies,I go to the Deaf Club ,go to Deaf night out,and hang out with friends.
COVID-19 only affected me for 2 months “ because “ I was off work. It really hasn’t affected me at all.

I hope I have answered all the questions.

My name is Korey,I’m 51 and born in Iowa.I was born hearing and My hearing was damage due to the measles shot.
My Dad was married to a Deaf woman and she taught me. I did go to a normal school with a Interpreter.
I started out with hearing sids,as time went on “then”I did not have hearing aids for a long time.
I still struggle with hearing people today because not everyone understands.I work at a restaurant and my co-workers are learning sign language.

For my hobbies,I go to the Deaf Club ,go to Deaf night out,and hang out with friends.
COVID-19 only affected me for 2 months “ because “ I was off work. It really hasn’t affected me at all.

I hope I have answered all the questions.
thank you Korey!

Back