deaf/hard of hearing survey

jaimeraye182

Reaction score
Hello everyone my name is Jaime. I am here conducting a survey for my deaf culture and community class. If anyone interested in answers these question please do s0 in the comment below. Thank you!!

Deaf Culture Survey Questions:
  1. Name and Age:
  2. Where were you born?
  3. Where you born deaf or was there something else that caused you to become deaf?
  4. Did your parents/guardians encourage you communicate to sign language or were you encouraged to learn to oral methods of commutations?
  5. Did you ever attend any Deaf schools?

If so what was your experience like?

6. At any point in your life did you use hearing aids?

If so how was that experience for you?

7. Are things your struggle when dealing with the hearing world?

8. Are there things you struggle when it comes to the deaf world?

9. If you work, what do you do for a living?

10. Do you have any hobbies?

11. Since the start of the COVID-19, how has the pandemic affected you?

Very simple. Born three months early. Put on ECMO life support for a week to bypass lungs that needed developing, incubator 5 months. Bills ripped up and tossed. Parents could both work three lifetimes and never pay that in full. I gained weight very fast the first year each month too fast for nerves to develop in ears. Hearing loss diagnosed at 6. By a special doctor from the State of Maryland who had to make a decision that day, am I deaf or am I mentally retarded and to be committed to Springfield as ward for life with no education or freedom? (And no language either)

Fast forward a bunch of years I became a trucker at 21 after gradating deaf school. They sent me to public school to run with the hearing from 5th to 9th grades and that was a fiasco. Unnecessary. But I learned from that as well. By time I got out of school I had enough of it. Went straight into trucking. Made a life of it. There was enormous discrimination on employers on east coast because no one felt deaf or HOH should be allowed to run 18 wheelers even though they passed DOT medical hearing tests and physical etc etc etc. So I emigrated to the deep south where they hire anyone not nailed down or stuck on stupid. As they say here.

I ended my trucking hauling high dollar pharmacy narcotics and other drugs and later as a crew boss with 20 to 30 truckers to direct. Blindess required surgery and other problems were discovered, particularly severe arthritis system wide from three specific forms. Thats pernamently disqualify from trucking under federal rules but not from local farm work in harvest time as long I dont go onto public roads.

Covid did nothing. I did not and do not believe in the masks, vaxes etc. I had spanish flu just prior to which was way more dangerous than covid. Life did not change here in Arkansas, our People maintained a free open state while paying lip service to governors orders to mask inside stores. Eventually months ago people quit it locally. And the mandate was thrown away last month. Hardly any covid to speak of where i am. I think 90000 in my county, 118 dead (30 in our local nursing home alone) and maybe 8000 recovered. In other words less damage and death than a ordinary flu season. So for us its meaningless. We take our chances.

Parents with one exception did nothing with deafness. I was a problem child passed around. One parent was very good and tried to do what can to give me the information I needed and was not told about etc. (SSI for example, that was a BIG argument, why should I a deaf at 10 years old get 770 a month free?) in those days with the 70's era dollars value that would be equal to about 2000 a month today. Inflation destroyed the dollar so 770 today buys nothing much of value. There was extreme discrimination in family. So to heck with them. But they are still family.

Its none of their fault. In those days the State had nothing for deaf until Columbia Campus was built specifically. And Frederick was the only one school for the deaf in addition to the Taylor ave colored deaf school and the Maryland School Blind also on Taylor in those days. None of the county school systems we were in were equipped to handle deaf children. Special education evolved later in public schools. Which was a fiasco. Its not the family's fault. It was a totally different time.

Hearing world takes their chances with me. They either deal with me or do not. Im used to it, I dont see problems per se anymore. Much. The deaf world well... its a good way to keep sharp in ASL and sign language english for the older ones at the deaf church here. I have not gone for years because its a unnecessarily expensive habit what with the travel to and from worship and then the hours after in social at meals with other deaf. That can take all day. (And does... all fun)

Everything else well... Ive had a good run in my life between hearing and deaf in the end. Its just a waste how different the world was in the 60's where deaf were not allowed to do ANYTHING. And later in the 20's when being deaf is meaningless with the technology that is evolving fast. HOWEVER.... to be deaf or HOH or TBI or whatever little thing is also unnecessary. There is only hearing or deaf (And includes all with some hearing loss of whatever kind) I noticed the deaf world in some areas were showing a form of racism because so and so is only HOH or with hearing parents or some other BS like that. Its unnecessary and hurtful. Never saw that in my time most of my life among deaf. I think certain leaders are responsible for fostering such a divisive culture. So I blame them.

The rest of the details pretty much are left out. I dont share too much online and again its not difficult to find me online either. My life is very quiet which is the way I like it very much. I have spent too many years fighting mountain ice in the dead of winter while the USA slept trying to get the load delivered 1000 miles by sunrise next day. Regardless of the weather and terrain. Its one thing I will die as. Am expert with that.

Hello everyone my name is Jaime. I am here conducting a survey for my deaf culture and community class. If anyone interested in answers these question please do s0 in the comment below. Thank you!!

Deaf Culture Survey Questions:
  1. Name and Age:
  2. Where were you born?
  3. Where you born deaf or was there something else that caused you to become deaf?
  4. Did your parents/guardians encourage you communicate to sign language or were you encouraged to learn to oral methods of commutations?
  5. Did you ever attend any Deaf schools?

If so what was your experience like?

6. At any point in your life did you use hearing aids?

If so how was that experience for you?

7. Are things your struggle when dealing with the hearing world?

8. Are there things you struggle when it comes to the deaf world?

9. If you work, what do you do for a living?

10. Do you have any hobbies?

11. Since the start of the COVID-19, how has the pandemic affected you?
That’s a lot to answer,Would you like to me ono-on-one on Zoom? That would be easier.

Back