Deaf GOTHIC People?

PandoraMorticia

Reaction score
Recently I become more involved in the deaf community in my area. My ASL teacher wanted those of us who wanted to be interpreters and teachers to learn how to interact with the deaf and hard of hearing. I started attending several events in the Orange County. I have gone twice to the Deaf Meet up at the Block at Orange in the city of Orange. I was shocked to see other Goths there! Then I remembered one of the girls in their group as being someone I worked with at Knotts Berry Farm. I think she worked in Costuming. I new she was Goth but I didn’t know she was Deaf until I met her later at a Goth club with her Boyfriend who was also a part of the group.
I didn’t know Deaf people could be gothic. Most people who are part of the subculture identify themselves by the MUSIC they LISTEN to, the clothes that they wear, and their dark or macabre outlook on life. If you can’t hear the music how do they identify with the subculture? I am not trying to make anyone mad. I am just trying to get an understanding.

Of course deaf people can be gothic or punk or whatever. And don't forget, many deaf people still have enough hearing to enjoy music (such as hard of hearing/severe/some profound), and those who don't have enough hearing (profound to complete deafness), they enjoy music through vibrations. And some of us have a Cochlear Implant, like I do. I identify myself as punk/goth. I listen to rock, metal, rave, techno, whatever that's got a lot of bass and a lot of beats. One band I like is Evanescence. So, there you go. :D

Is the visual medium as good as the sound medium to get that gothic imagination fired up?

Deaf people can be

Cowboys

Gothics

Punkers

Gangbangers

Preppies

Nerds

Jocks

Outcasts

Skaters

Stoners

Metal Heads

and many more.....

depends on how they identify themselves just like hearing people do.

Well hearing people really identify who they are by the kind of music they listen to. A friend is very feminine and delicate. She is just sweet as pie. Then she said the other day she was listening to NIN (Nine Inch Nails you can guess they type of music that is from the name) I was shocked! That just didn’t seem her style, she seemed more easy listening. We really associate the person with the type of music they listen to. The two are inseparable to us. You wouldn’t expect a person dressed like a redneck to listen to hip hop. Or some one dressed like a thug to listen to country. The activities you like, people you hang out with, clothes you wear is all told in the style of music you like. For instance a friend of mine who is Deaf a lot of his actions I know come from rappers and the hip hop community. But his hobbies, the things and places he likes to go, the clothes he wears, the type of people he likes to hang out with are all Rock. It is how we (hearing) see the world. I can tell a lot about a person by the type of music they listen to. Even with out having a conversation with them. And sometimes it is very specific. Ani Difranco, who I am not a fan of but I know women who are. Their personalities seem to be similar. And you can talk to some one and say, oh I bet you like this band or this singer and get it right. Just how we work.
But you are right I have met a broad range of Deaf and although they don’t identify themselves with music they, as human beings, have to identify themselves with something. Music is just one piece of who we all are as hearing people take that part out we are the same people with the same interests.
I, by the way, am mostly rock and country, mostly ROCK though. Love top 40, classical, blues, mmmmmmm JAZZ love it!!! the others I have to be in the mood for. I fit in all these groups though.

Well hearing people really identify who they are by the kind of music they listen to. A friend is very feminine and delicate. She is just sweet as pie. Then she said the other day she was listening to NIN (Nine Inch Nails you can guess they type of music that is from the name) I was shocked! That just didn’t seem her style, she seemed more easy listening. We really associate the person with the type of music they listen to. The two are inseparable to us. You wouldn’t expect a person dressed like a redneck to listen to hip hop. Or some one dressed like a thug to listen to country. The activities you like, people you hang out with, clothes you wear is all told in the style of music you like. For instance a friend of mine who is Deaf a lot of his actions I know come from rappers and the hip hop community. But his hobbies, the things and places he likes to go, the clothes he wears, the type of people he likes to hang out with are all Rock. It is how we (hearing) see the world. I can tell a lot about a person by the type of music they listen to. Even with out having a conversation with them. And sometimes it is very specific. Ani Difranco, who I am not a fan of but I know women who are. Their personalities seem to be similar. And you can talk to some one and say, oh I bet you like this band or this singer and get it right. Just how we work.
But you are right I have met a broad range of Deaf and although they don’t identify themselves with music they, as human beings, have to identify themselves with something. Music is just one piece of who we all are as hearing people take that part out we are the same people with the same interests.
I, by the way, am mostly rock and country, mostly ROCK though. Love top 40, classical, blues, mmmmmmm JAZZ love it!!! the others I have to be in the mood for. I fit in all these groups though.

I was just being silly about listing all the subcultures but I feel it is a fact. I cant speak for all deaf people but I think we identify ourselves through the fashion (clothes, certain hairstyles,kind of jewelery and more) and lifestyles of all the subcultures. It is more of a visual medium rather than auditory medium. Anyone can correct me wrong pls but I know for myself, it was the clothes and the lifestyle of the skater/punk that attracted me in high school. I chose the music that my friends from that group listen to cuz there was no way I could identify with it on my own. My brother identified himself as a jock cuz he loves to play sports..he didnt care for musical groups. I honestly havent met any deaf people that I can remember that identify themselves through music..it is usually the clothes and hairstyles. I could be wrong. :)

Right and a Deaf friend of mine identifies himself as skater/punk. Everything other than the music totally fits.

hey! im goth and im HOH, i wear hearing aids hehe. Uncomfortable but okay since i like being alone and in silence reading or writing. Btw i wear hearing aids in both ears. But yeah, goths, punks, preps, gangstas, any1 can be deaf, were all humans. Be deaf and proud of it!

The deaf people and children who not all Goth Most Rapper,EMO,Stakeboards and Hillbilly,Redneck in American .I see deaf and hard hearing really white Children and people love rapper more than Rock N' Roll. I am Chopper,Punk Rock and Gothic.
:scatter: :deal: :scatter:

Last edited:
Yeah Ozzman i would think you would like rock, the avatar you chose definately says rock.

I have a paper to write in my special education class about deaf adults. I want to write about deaf people in the gothic/industrial world and how they are able to identify with a subculture that is based on music. Would any of you be willing to let me interview you and put a picture of you in my paper? If you can let me know I would be grateful. Pictures Can be sent to PandoraMorticia@hotmail.com

If you can here is the Interview.

Questions for my Term Paper:
Please answer truthfully and fully. Two to three sentences at the least. You are welcome to write as much as you want but please word carefully I WILL be using many of the answers as quotes for my paper.

1. What attracted you to the gothic lifestyle?
2. How did you “become” Goth?
3. Why do you dress Goth?
4. What is your favorite music of the gothic genre (ex: Industrial, Goth Rock, Death rock, Gothabilly, Darkwave…) and why?
5. How do You Identify with a subculture (Goth) that is based on the music?
6. Do you think it is harder to fit in as a Deaf/HOH Goth than if you could hear?
7. Do you face any discrimination in the Goth world, that you know of, base exclusively of the fact that you are not a hearing person?
8. Do people treat you with any more kindness or sympathy when they find that you are Deaf/HOH?
9. If you dance at clubs, how do you find the beat?
10. How do you feel about cochlear Implants (and/or do you have CIs)?

If these questions didn’t let you tell me anything more that you think would be pertinent, please tell me more! I welcome all input!

Thanks
Pandora

I have no interest in music, but I love dressing up in goth/punk style clothing.. it's who I am, and it really fits me.. I feel really comfortable in it.

However, because I'm a mom, I have to NOT wear the punk/goth clothing style that I really wanted to because I have to keep up appearances and all that. *rme*

Isn't the goth id based as much on a philosophy of life as it is on a particular genre of music? I mean, doesn't the music just serve to give the message of what the goth philosophy is about? :dunno2:

(chuckles) When I was teenager and used to be Gothic/punk dress up.
Now my daughter is Gothic sort partly.

mom or not wear what you want. People will tell your a good mom by the way your children act. It is not the clothes you wear or whether you are deaf or not, it is about the love you share. (or not).

You can tell quite a bit about a person by their mannerisms. Appearances are only skin deep.

My avatar says absolutely nothing about the music I like.

I've studied a little psychology, so I may be able to provide a little insight. There really isn't a one "set" explaination nor rationale as the gothic culture has envolved from it's initial manifisation or purpose.

First, the gothic culture may have been inspired as a way of saying; I'm not a conformist in the most blanant possible way. It was almost a form of rebellion against the social norms including the preps & popular thoughts at that time, as well as their parents. Soon, more & more shared that same sentiments, but now the irony is, gothic is now a form of conformity on several levels. However, this type of group or culture is much more open to other experiences than others may. Some of those with HOH or deaf may feel like they're outsiders, & the gothic culture accepts them for who they are. I've been to a few Ozzyfest concerts and more people there were much more understanding of my hearing loss, they didn't look down on me or pity me, etc.., but they saw me as my own. Whereas other concerts that are more popular & mainstream, I felt more alone, disconnected, less were as understanding & judging. As human natures dicates, we seek those with similar traits whether they are by social status, gender, thoughts, beliefs, lifestyles, and acceptence etc...

Second, it could be a fashion statement. Black as a color is intiminating. One of the reasons SWAT teams wear black vest is to intiminate who they are trying to stop(from the moment they enter the room, they get your attention). It's not a form of blending in the background, even during the night you are still seen. This intimination may give these people some form of control over their lives. They make people who don't understand the lifestyle a little nervous, uneasy, or scared. They may get an enjoyment out of that. It's also possible that they're very confident of who they are, and they have no reservation of saying to the world they're different than everyone else & are proud of it. It takes a strong person to swim against the current, and what stronger & more bold way than submerging their ID into the gothic culture or the likes. I've had several friends including my little brother who took this route. It's a form of power.

Since I've known a couple of people who were a part of this culture, I've noticed that they seek some reassurance with what they are in search of. They are generally very intelligent (at least more than the prep/pop crowd to what i've observed). They question things. With questions, you find answers, even if it's not what you want to hear. So they have a tendency to ask deeper questions, questions that allows them a greater sense of purpose & control over their own happiness. The way I see it, they're really no different than the woodstock/hippies back in the 60's, the only difference is that they sought their own identity. that's my 2 cents

used to be new romantic/gothic

When I was a teen in the late 80's used to be into Souixsie and The Banshees, The Cure, Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet..I had some fond memories of those days.
Now, I am a christian since my late 20's really like christian music like Delirious, Newsboys, Jars of Clay cool bands.

Back