Deaf Girl Raised to be Hearing

I can see CC in the introduction but when you start spelling out the letters I get zero CCs.

I don't know if that was intentional or not but there you go!

Change of subject, if you want to do more videos it would be kind of cool if you did a sort of series on what it's like to be deaf in a hearing world. For example, you can talk about how you deal with going to the grocery store and buying stuff. Or applying for jobs or whatever. That would be kind of interesting and make you stand out compared to the millions of ASL tutorials that are already on youtube.

Good luck!

Thanks for your insight! I will fix the CC for the ABC's if it's bothersome. I appreciate your help. :) And yes, I will make a few videos on what my social life is like in the hearing world as a deaf person. Also, I will debunk myths about deaf people (such as deaf people can't drive), give fun facts (such as when getting people's attention deaf people will tap others on the shoulder), and share what not to say to a deaf person (such as "I'm sorry you're deaf.") Sound good?

I don't know if I'm just in a pissy mood tonight or what. But I don't want to learn a language from someone who isn't fluent in it. Don't take this to mean that you shouldn't make your videos. I do think you should say something more like "learn ASL as I learn ASL!" so people understand how much experience you have with it. Your video also wouldn't play for me, even though I tried a bunch of others to make sure it wasn't a problem on my end.

That's a good idea, thanks. I'll consider that. Also, I'll see if I can fix that problem.

Thank you so much! :ty: My top pick for a college I want to go to is in Rochester, New York. It's called Rochester Institute of Technology (R.I.T.) and there's a Deaf school called National Technological Institute for the Deaf (N.T.I.D.) on campus. There are nine colleges on that one campus. I went to a camp there this summer called Explore Your Future (E.Y.F.) and wow, there was so much signing going on! I did make friends with the teenagers there and exchanged phone numbers. In fact, I was rather popular and had a large group of friends in the EYF program. :D I'm actually mainly making the videos for a hearing guy who found me on a social networking site, saying he had always wanted to learn ASL.

YEAH! Glad you got to go to EYF!!!!! And SO glad you really want to go to NTID!!!!!! I think it will be the perfect setting for you!!!!!

Yeah, I can understand. It's a doctor's term, and I usually just call myself Deaf or hard-of-hearing, depending on which world I'm in. It's complicated. I'm not sure who I am, exactly. I think I'm hard-of-hearing since I can speak, but I yearn to be Deaf. When I say I was raised to be hearing, yes, it is slightly negative, because I am mainstreamed in a hearing school and have trouble communicating and making friends with others. I thought to myself that if my parents took the opportunity to learn how to sign and sent me to a school for the deaf, I would be better off in friendship. I have like no friends whatsoever. I want to be a part of the Deaf Community so bad! :)

HOH now but becoming Deaf.....there are a lot of us "almost deafies" out there........and there are also many people here who have been there and done that.......the friendship stuff is HARD.I'm remembering my experiance over 15 years ago..I have a plethora of friends who experianced the same things.One of my friends is 15 and is experiancing the SAME things....When are we going to learn?!?!?.....Can you transfer to a school with a DHH program or Tenn School for the Deaf Tennessee School for the Deaf or MSSD? Model Secondary School for the Deaf Although I thought that Tenn School wasn't exactly the best.....still there are always some students who are on par (as oppossed to mostly mentally disabled or the type of kid who REALLY fell through the cracks in the mainstream.) Actully...it's in Knoxville......you should go and visit and make friends......maybe you could go part time for ASL or any subjects.....it's right there!!!!Social emoitional development is SO incredibly important for so many kids,but it's brushed under the rug....parents think that the most important thing is .Academics....academics IS a part of the puzzle...but only a small part,unless you're gearing up to go to a super competitive school....and there are always HOH kids learning ASL as a second languge at Deaf Schools.........

It's good that you're doing this.

A lot of deaf children grow up in denial. One of the reasons for this is because their parents are also in denial. I've seen a lot of deaf children grow up without ever getting better because of how they're treated by their parents and peers.

It's great that you're acknowledging your deafness. :thumb:

"bilateral mean hearing lost in both ears

I know... obviously.. but... I was just trying to state the obvious that.. we don't really label ourselves like THAT. just simply said.. deaf or HOH. maybe she doesn't realized that in the deaf community, we don't go introduce ourselves by saying.. I'm bilateraly severe hearing loss person. You know?... it seems like she haven't been in the deaf community much so i wanted to point it out to her that she can simply just said that she's deaf.. or.. hard of hearing.. easier that way. and... i don't want people to "tease" her by thinking that if she said that, she's avoiding saying that she's deaf or HOH. like embarrassed to be one of "us" so i just wanted to be clear on that. :laugh2:

A lot of deaf children grow up in denial. One of the reasons for this is because their parents are also in denial. I've seen a lot of deaf children grow up without ever getting better because of how they're treated by their parents and peers.

I agree! :) I'm happy that you're starting to identify yourself and you know what you want... you'll be happier that way. :naughty:

HOH now but becoming Deaf.....there are a lot of us "almost deafies" out there........and there are also many people here who have been there and done that.......the friendship stuff is HARD.I'm remembering my experiance over 15 years ago..I have a plethora of friends who experianced the same things.One of my friends is 15 and is experiancing the SAME things....When are we going to learn?!?!?.....Can you transfer to a school with a DHH program or Tenn School for the Deaf Tennessee School for the Deaf or MSSD? Model Secondary School for the Deaf Although I thought that Tenn School wasn't exactly the best.....still there are always some students who are on par (as oppossed to mostly mentally disabled or the type of kid who REALLY fell through the cracks in the mainstream.) Actully...it's in Knoxville......you should go and visit and make friends......maybe you could go part time for ASL or any subjects.....it's right there!!!!Social emoitional development is SO incredibly important for so many kids,but it's brushed under the rug....parents think that the most important thing is .Academics....academics IS a part of the puzzle...but only a small part,unless you're gearing up to go to a super competitive school....and there are always HOH kids learning ASL as a second languge at Deaf Schools.........

Yeah, but I'm at my last year in the hearing private preparatory school, and it's only one year left before I go to college, hopefully NTID in Rochester, NY. I do try to visit TSD whenever I can, and I have interacted with others who go to TSD. You're right, my parents are always nagging me about school and homework when all I really want to be happy is to connect with people. I'm so happy you understand! :aw:

I first began to acknowledge my deafness two years ago when my school first offered ASL classes. My parents have definitely been in denial. When this year the audiologist said for my family to consider cochlear implants for me, my parents cried. They didn't want me to be deaf, they wanted me to be hard-of-hearing (as hearing as possible). I never wanted a cochlear implant, anyway, so we went to two doctors to see what they thought. The first doctor said, "Yes," and the second doctor said, "You don't need cochlear implants." I am, admittedly, relieved. I'm not having to be turned into a freaking cyborg after all. And yeah, this is the time in my life where I'm trying to find who I am as a person, my identity. ^^

I know... obviously.. but... I was just trying to state the obvious that.. we don't really label ourselves like THAT. just simply said.. deaf or HOH. maybe she doesn't realized that in the deaf community, we don't go introduce ourselves by saying.. I'm bilateraly severe hearing loss person. You know?... it seems like she haven't been in the deaf community much so i wanted to point it out to her that she can simply just said that she's deaf.. or.. hard of hearing.. easier that way. and... i don't want people to "tease" her by thinking that if she said that, she's avoiding saying that she's deaf or HOH. like embarrassed to be one of "us" so i just wanted to be clear on that. :laugh2:

Thanks for your kindness... :) I understand now. I'm learning the ways of Deaf Culture, and sometimes it's obvious that I don't sound like I belong. I'm trying to be in the Deaf Community more, but school takes up a lot of my time. :Ohno: I hope college life will give me more opportunities.

Thanks for your kindness... :) I understand now. I'm learning the ways of Deaf Culture, and sometimes it's obvious that I don't sound like I belong. I'm trying to be in the Deaf Community more, but school takes up a lot of my time. :Ohno: I hope college life will give me more opportunities.

DA - oh yeah, i can totally see that you're interested in the deaf community and it sounds like you will be PART of the deaf community VERY soon (or already is) which is a GREAT thing. I looovvee the deaf community!!!! i couldn't imagine living w/o it.

where are you going for college? i went to RIT and i LoVE it.

DA - oh yeah, i can totally see that you're interested in the deaf community and it sounds like you will be PART of the deaf community VERY soon (or already is) which is a GREAT thing. I looovvee the deaf community!!!! i couldn't imagine living w/o it.

where are you going for college? i went to RIT and i LoVE it.

Yeah, I feel more wholesome with the Deaf Community. :giggle: I'm still looking at colleges, but I'm hoping to go to RIT. :jaw:

I first began to acknowledge my deafness two years ago when my school first offered ASL classes. My parents have definitely been in denial. When this year the audiologist said for my family to consider cochlear implants for me, my parents cried. They didn't want me to be deaf, they wanted me to be hard-of-hearing (as hearing as possible). I never wanted a cochlear implant, anyway, so we went to two doctors to see what they thought. The first doctor said, "Yes," and the second doctor said, "You don't need cochlear implants." I am, admittedly, relieved. I'm not having to be turned into a freaking cyborg after all. And yeah, this is the time in my life where I'm trying to find who I am as a person, my identity. ^^
I'm surprised they cried over the CI thing. Most parents would gladly go for CI as they often consider it a "cure" for deafness.

I'm glad you got a second opinion. :thumb: There are a lot of doctors and audiologists that have contracts with CI providers and they benefit from encouraging CI on their patients. :roll:

I actually had an audiologist recommend that I get CI. I told her that I was fine with what I had (BTE hearing aid).

Besides, getting CIs don't automatically make you hearing. You still need speech therapy and hearing tests to ensure that the CIs are working.

I agree! :) I'm happy that you're starting to identify yourself and you know what you want... you'll be happier that way. :naughty:
It's sad in this world where a lot of people are two-faced about the deafness issue.

I know some people who are very supportive towards deaf children... but when they end up with deaf children of their own, they completely throw out their support for deafness and go into denial.

I went to EYF in 1995. There were a lot of people!! I chose to not go to school there. If I had to do it again, I would probably have went to college there. Don't let the opportunity pass you.

Back