Deaf Girl Raised to be Hearing

Video has voice recorded now instead of subtitles for those who are hearing. :P

I would keep the subtitles. Don't forget, there are deaf people who don't know ASL, some of whom might like to learn. Voice-over won't help them.

You could use both, voice and subtitles.

I would keep the subtitles. Don't forget, there are deaf people who don't know ASL, some of whom might like to learn. Voice-over won't help them.

You could use both, voice and subtitles.

Hmm, why haven't I thought of that? Good idea.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOsEG6K53Is]How to easily create subtitles and captions for YouTube SEO [Creator's Tip #15] - YouTube[/ame]

This guy shows you how to do CC. He's pitching CC to get better search engine rankings, but still a good tutorial. He stops talking about why and starts showing how around 1:50.

I'm sorry:(

What happens? What goes wrong?

Well, when I tried to do the time frame thingy, it wouldn't show up in the timeline thing below. Why it wasn't cooperating with me is really strange, haha. Thanks anyway! Perhaps another time I'll try again, but right now I need to finish homework.

Yeah, but I'm at my last year in the hearing private preparatory school, and it's only one year left before I go to college, hopefully NTID in Rochester, NY. I do try to visit TSD whenever I can, and I have interacted with others who go to TSD. You're right, my parents are always nagging me about school and homework when all I really want to be happy is to connect with people. I'm so happy you understand! :aw:
Well the thing is you can have it written into your IEP that you could have socialization time at TSD......Look at their course offerings and see if there's anything you might want to take...I know they have a culinary arts program,and they offer socialization time for local dhh students...take advantage of the TSD resources as much as possible! Too bad your parents didn't send you to TSD for preschool/elementary school.......
And you'll attend Deaf camp too right?

Well the thing is you can have it written into your IEP that you could have socialization time at TSD......Look at their course offerings and see if there's anything you might want to take...I know they have a culinary arts program,and they offer socialization time for local dhh students...take advantage of the TSD resources as much as possible! Too bad your parents didn't send you to TSD for preschool/elementary school.......
And you'll attend Deaf camp too right?

I'll try! Thanks! :D

I am so sorry your parents are in denial. My family is too. (My mom keeps praying for my hearing to return. While I'm not an atheist,I'm not gullible either.) I don't know why anyone views being Deaf as a bad thing. I had hearing for 40 years. I started losing it around the age of 30 and it was gone by the time I turned 40. I have been deaf for almost 5 years now. Admittedly it took some real readjustment...I had my time of denial too, but I find it's not so bad really. In fact I have found that I can focus better on what I am doing a lot easier and without the distraction of sound. I do miss being able to hear music, or the wind through the trees and frogs croaking...but it's all good.

I too am trying to integrate into the Deaf community in the town me hubby and I have just moved to. The hearing world has become less of a pleasant place for me and I don't enjoy getting treated like I have some sort of mental retardation by folks who seem to equate deafness with stupidity.:roll: I really hate being told I am disabled and need to get on SSD or SSI. I am going to go back to school myself. Maybe online college or possibly the college here in Morehead, Ky. MSU. Not sure yet.

You go girl and don't EVER let anyone tell you CAN'T do something!:thumb:

Dramatic Angel do you have the services of a TOD?Maybe instead of TOD time,you could go to TSD for supplemental instruction.......that might be a good idea......

That is a good idea. TSD is nearby, anyway. :D I like the idea of supplemental instruction.

Hi! My name is Djana or DJ for short. I am in 8th grade and I am hard of hearing. My medical term is moderate-to-severe bilateral sensenorial hearing loss. I learned ASL as a child but when I was 9, I moved to Illinois and I had to stop signing. Since 6th grade , I have started to pick back up my signing skills. I think your video is good, by the way. Maybe we can help each other out. If anyone wants help, I would love to help. Also, if anyone could help me integrate into the deaf community and help me be fluent, I would appreciate it. I am a little tired of how my hearing friends treat me.

:wave:welcome, DJSweets- you could make your own thread in "Introduce Yourself" section so more can see-

Hey there, may have made a mistake in forum rules - ask mod. if you have any interest in what I wrote. I suck at technical stuff.

Dramatic Angel, have you thought about Gallaudet University? It's in Washington, D.C. I've actually thought about it for myself for graduate school, though I am hearing. I am learning ASL at Clemson University now and I love it. Gallaudet is a great University from what I've read.

"Gallaudet University, the world's only university with programs and services specifically designed to accommodate deaf and hard of hearing students, was established in 1864 by an Act of Congress, and its charter was signed by President Abraham Lincoln." - From their website Gallaudet University

This came from the website as well: "Gallaudet University is the world leader in liberal education and career development for deaf and hard of hearing students. The University enjoys an international reputation for its outstanding programs and for the quality of the research it conducts on the history, language, culture, and other topics related to deaf people."

Just something interesting to think about. I know as a high school student I had a lot of trouble trying to figure out where I wanted to go to college and what I wanted to do with my life. I'm a Junior in college and I just now figured out what I want to be "when I grow up". I've decided to become a Clinical Psychologist, preferably a school therapist at a school for the deaf. I love deaf culture and ASL, it's such a beautiful language and the community is wonderful! I'm still learning myself but I want to be completely fluent! :)

Back