deaf girl 10,moved tears after implant allowed to hear her own breathe she was baby

The hearing society have work so hard to take away our sign languages all over the world and tried very hard to get us to speak and to lipread. As for CI, hearing authorities plus hearing parents want us to listen and start having CIs on babies early. That is what hurt us soo much that we felt like screaming at them to stop doing that to us. We would love to go to Deaf schools where there is sign languages for us to understand what is going on. Also we still need sign language interpreters badly and most hearing society don't understand our needs. They are fighting to put us down just because they want us to be their way, not our way. It is the same with Natives in First Nations or reservations where they put us down because they don't want us to have our Native traditions and customs. It just not fair why we have to battle with them about our needs as Deaf people. :(

No one is battling or trying to take away our right or choice to go to deaf schools nor the right to immerse our child into ASL/Deaf culture.. Isn't that what the ADA laws were made for?, or these VR offices opened across the nation and setup to just help us deafies. Sound like the world is battling against ASL/ Deaf culture?? Not at all IMHO. We're so lucky to have these choices made available to us.

Hearing / the world/society is they're merely passing logic solutions and routes for people that are deaf and DON'T want to be. Theres many many valid reasons for their decisons. Not everyone comes from your walk thruout life nor wants to cling to ASL/Deaf culture and strictly socailze with just deaf culture and go in groups to do everything together ie There's much more to life than that.

Could be because parent doesn't want to travel out of their hometown nor far out to just place their child into a School for the Deaf and call it problem solved as you ASL/ Deaf cultures would love to do regardless of the deafness issue at hand on the person. These parents have the right to request interpreters and such services be located in their hometown. Also they reserve the right to do their own research and consulting with doctors and decide which route they want to go. HA/CI with speech in many cases DEPENDING on the loss ratio of each person can be successful and just as ordinary as hearing person. If at young stage CI is done that increases chances of a fruitful speech therapy route I see quite a handful of CI kids and they're not even needing interpreters they ignore them tho they're still provided with a interpreter in case.

Sound like a battle on the Deaf culture? Very FAR from it.
Just because some 10 year old girl got a CI and shed a tear when she heard herself breath doesn't mean they're putting down on the ASL/ Deaf culture at all. Just absurd to think OMG ASL is gonna die if they keep on getting better technology etc HA/CI thats not gonna happen in ANYONES LIFETIME. Impossible!!!! Just be happy for this girl she finally heard herself breath! May not be a big deal many of you but to her it is!!!!!

ust because some 10 year old girl got a CI and shed a tear when she heard herself breath doesn't mean they're putting down on the ASL/ Deaf culture at all. Just absurd.to think OMG ASL is gonna die if they keep on getting better technology etc HA/CI thats not gonna happen in ANYONES LIFETIME. Impossible!!!! Just be happy for this girl she finally heard herself breath! May not be a big deal many of you but to her it is!!!!!

What the hell? My posts are nothing to do with her hearing loss!

My posts are doing with my thought on sign languages and future. I already said, "It seems it does work for her." I thought it is good for her.

What the hell? My posts are nothing to do with her hearing loss!

My posts are doing with my thought on sign languages and future. I already said, "It seems it does work for her." I thought it is good for her.
GISJason's point is that this thread is about a successful procedure for the girl. Yet you said "ASL will die". Why did you post it that has nothing to do with this thread? In other words, your post was off the point. Capisce? If you want to talk about it, why not making your own thread and explain why you think ASL will die. I am sure there will be interesting debates in your thread.

BTW, I said that you worry too much. My mistake, I should have said that you imagine too much but again, to each your own. No hard feelings. I am sorry for calling you an idiot.

GISJason's point is that this thread is about a successful procedure for the girl. Yet you said "ASL will die". Why did you post it that has nothing to do with this thread? In other words, your post was off the point. Capisce? If you want to talk about it, why not making your own thread and explain why you think ASL will die. I am sure there will be interesting debates in your thread.

There was already one. I am not really forward to create an another similar one because it was pretty hot topic. Well, okay. I'll stop right now.

BTW, I said that you worry too much. My mistake, I should have said that you imagine too much but again, to each your own. No hard feelings. I am sorry for calling you an idiot.

No, I am the one who should apologize to you and another posters. Not you. I am sorry for calling you guys "idiot."

the cure for deafness is coming up in near future.
I seriously doubt it. There's TOO much money invested in treating hearing loss right now, with making people be consumers of hearing aids, CIs and speech therapy and healthcare options in general. With a cure you don't get that.
Besides, I have a strong feeling that ANY cures for hearing loss will impact late deafened or born hearing and then lost their hearing people. It will be hundreds if not thousands of years before born/early dhh people are cured.
But that is going to be true for almost all disabilties. People who aquirred their blindness/brain injuiry/hearing loss/fill in the blank here with whatever disabilty will benifit from cures rather then people born blind/with brain injuiry or whatever.

The law - Rehabilitation Act of 1973 allows parent to send their deaf child to public school (hearing school) instead of go to deaf school, also special education is adopted in public school.

The deaf school in our state had around 600 students in 1970 but dropped to just less than 130 students today.

Thanks, Foxrac. I understand it clearly. That's unfortunate. Deaf schools lose students due to mainstream schools since many parents want their deaf children close to home.
Yeah, more kids can be served at a mainstream regional dhh program. Meaning they're not just limited to deaf school as a choice. A lot of deaf kids do go to regional programs.....sadly thou a lot of them are solotaire mainstreamed too :(

Hence my quote: "But, I wonder, how long ASL and Deaf culture will die out? Sorry, I still believe ASL (even sign languages) and Deaf community will die out because everyone is so clings to spoken languages as it is a superior one, and deafness will be cured in future. =/"

I don't think Deaf Culture will ever die out because as long as there are deaf people in the world, there will be some who prefer Deaf Culture ad choose to stay deaf, even with more modern technology. I see this is a VERY strong culture.

I don't think Deaf Culture will ever die out because as long as there are deaf people in the world, there will be some who prefer Deaf Culture ad choose to stay deaf, even with more modern technology. I see this is a VERY strong culture.

Wow, Mimsy! Thank you for saying this. That is the spirit of being sooooo positive. We need that so much. Yay!!!! :cool2:

and the thing is....Deaf culture isn't going to die out b/c HOH people still strongly identify with Deaf culture. How many HOH folks do we get who come here and go " I wish I'd been able to learn ASL and go to deaf school....instead all I got was front row seating and speech therapy!"

Back