Deaf friends in Stockholm

Totoro

Reaction score
Hi,

I am non-deaf and live in Stockholm, and I would like to have deaf friends, perhaps someone who can teach me sign language? Because this is from what I understand a forum mostly for Americans, I write in English.

:welcome:

Are you looking for friends from Stockholm in particular? There is quite a few types of sign language including American and British sign language (in America and Britain respectively), and I imagine a lot more. Do you know what sign language is used in Stockholm? Who are you wanting to learning for?

Hi,

I am non-deaf and live in Stockholm, and I would like to have deaf friends, perhaps someone who can teach me sign language? Because this is from what I understand a forum mostly for Americans, I write in English.

Stockholm is almost the only place in Sweden where there are a lot of deaf people. Just go to "Dövas hus" and join the activiies of "dövas förening". I've heard that they have excellent sign language courses at "Dövas hus", and there are many activities for new signers. Also check the "studieförbund" for courses. There is a comunity college called Västanvik if you have the option to travel for a longer course. Howcome you are looking to learn sign language?

In Sweden TSP, Swedish Sign Language, is used. Late deafend and HOH might use TSS, which uses (almost) the same signs as TSP but the regular swedish grammar. It is convenient since you can sign and talk at the same time, but certainly not as fun as TSP. If you really want to learn go for TSP, since it will allow you to take advantage of all the benifits of a visual language.

:welcome:

Are you looking for friends from Stockholm in particular? There is quite a few types of sign language including American and British sign language (in America and Britain respectively), and I imagine a lot more. Do you know what sign language is used in Stockholm? Who are you wanting to learning for?

Yeah, Stockholm in particular because I live here. Both because it would be nice to get to know each other in real life, and because it would be much easier for me to learn that way. I have always been fascinated by sign language. Sweden has its own sign language based on Swedish.

American site but international members...lovely place Sweden..

Back