deaf friendly wireless service

cdmeggers

Reaction score
So which wireless provider is more deaf friendly? Verizon or AT&T? I've been happy with T-mobile and the Sidekicks, but not sure if I want to stay on T-mobile (if only I could get more info on what the new data-only plan would cost if I were to get the new Sidekick...).
I'm in the state of Wyoming, so basically Verizon and AT&T would be my only options (there's also Union Wireless, but they have no data-only plans so no thanks! no sprint/virgin coverage).

Sprint is truly friendly and affordable.

Verizon is very expensive.
at&t Wireless is much strict to receive the proof that you're deaf before you able to modify the plan. Still expensive....

T-Mobile, soon decrease, doesn't provide the actual deaf package behind just stupid Sidekick.

I can't do Sprint. I'd love to have Sprint, but no Sprint coverage for my area.

I went with AT&T. Ordered a Blackberry Torch yesterday, should be getting it today. My audie will fill out a portion of the application so I can fax it in to get the TAP plan. So far, everything's been pretty smooth going.

I never had issue sending my proof of deafness when I joined Cingular...changed over to AT&T a while later. It's not a big deal to me.

I currently only pay around $36 a month for insurance and the data plan...that is the old plan grandfathered before AT&T changed to monthly data caps, etc.

If you're into text messging only, how about Qwert - Text Only Phone Plans - Texting Only Plans with 400 text messaging plan for $10 a month?

You can choose any SIM-unlocked cellphones or smartphones, like a [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Treo-650-Smartphone-QWERTY/dp/B000CDISAE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1305326224&sr=8-3]Palm Treo 650[/ame], [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Unlocked-MicroSD--U-S-Version-Warranty/dp/B001E96PK0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1305326224&sr=8-6]Palm Treo Pro[/ame], or [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IPAC10/ref=s9_simh_bw_p107_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=1PQZJWKHN746X97GFM4M&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1288054442&pf_rd_i=2407749011]Palm Pixie Plus[/ame] (very low price at the time of writing).

Of course you won't get data or voice with qwert.

I've always been having issues making personal calls because I can't hear very well, so this is a whole new world to me. Whatever will make my life easier please someone clue me in.

Currently, I have metro PCS

The best deal for Text only is $15 on T-Mobile. You get their 4G monthly plan and have someone call them and disable the voice calling. Then you get unlimited text for $15.

The best deal for Text only is $15 on T-Mobile. You get their 4G monthly plan and have someone call them and disable the voice calling. Then you get unlimited text for $15.

it's lie...

Even though Verizon is expensive, that is because they got better coverage than anyone else. I am now using Verizon 4G LTE and don't seem to have issues so far.

I don't believe there is any plan for less than 30 dollars a month. The demand is now greater than supply can provide, this will cause rates to go up soon. Just watch.

I just ended my AT&T, not a deaf friendly company. I switched to T-mobile because they have a deaf and hard of hearing plan, unlimited text and data (no voice min) for $50 but I went with the $30 no contract month to month plan which is 1500 text OR talk with data so my husband could use the cell if he needed. I am happy with the service so far.

Republic wireless (republicwireless.com) offers an unlimited smartphone plan for $19/month. Unlimited voice/text/data using an Android. They just closed their early beta and will be offering it again in a few months. It is an amazing deal.

T-Mobile offers $45/month BYOD (bring your own (unlocked) device) all you can eat plan with free voice/text/data.

But for me, texting is all I need and you can't beat the $15/month at T-mobile. It will turn your smartphone into an alpha pager like the old days.

merlin

I use to think sprint cared about the deaf community and gave great prices but now they are charging 50% more then they did 2 years ago, now for a simple deaf plan data only its $44.99 plus $10 data even if you don't want data. The price use to be $29.99 with unlimited data. And get this the service is exactly the same if not less! I dont see hearing people cell phone prices increasing by 50% in 2 years. I am looking into a lawyer I dont know how far it will go but this looks to be discrimination and unfair business pricing for deaf people.
At&t and Verizon have always been higher priced although at&t use to be $29.99 a month until 3 years ago, now its off the hook pricing.

Has anyone gone from a t-mobile data only plan to a voice data plan as a deaf subscriber? What is the difference in price? I currently pay 29.99 for unlimited data, but I may get voice to support Hamilton Captel.

I had tmobile with a data and text only plan. While it was cheap the service and coverage wasn't great at all. Id be in areas with zero coverage and they lost all my contact info, which was supposed to be backed up.

Now I'm on verizon which costs a little more on a unlimited text and unlimited data plan with pay by the minute for voice. As long as I don't use voice my bill is reasonable. Not only that they have much better coverage and I've never lost my backed up data. Highly recommend them!

Thanks.

I called T-mobile support. Apparently, all hearing impaired plans do not include voice. To solve the problem, I would have to get off the hearing impaired plan and go with a voice/text plan for $79 a month, a $40 increase.

ATT, if you get an iPhone, the data plan ( which is required ) is only $40 monthly. So you have unlimited texting, photo sharing, calling and free calling to other ATT members and landlines.

Back