"Deaf-friendly" Law Schools?

nobody456

Reaction score
I know it's a chance shot to get this question answered...

I am planning on entering law school in Fall 2011 and starting to build a list of schools I want to apply to- TxGolfer - yes, Stanford is awesome, but I have no chance of getting in.

Obviously, it's a bit discriminatory to not provide "equal" services, but I am curious if there are any law schools that are "better" equipped to help deaf students succeed?

Undergrad school didn't seem to be focused on students that weren't struggling as much - i.e. not failing classes.

What I am really looking for are recorded audio files or written transcripts being available without much interruption to the class. note-takers are somewhat helpful, but some of my undergrads note-takers weren't as helpful because some had some funky short-hand styles that were hard to understand. ...thinking...I could probably just set up a personal recording system out of a laptop and just do it that way or old-school tape recorder...and class sizes are typically small, so it may not be as much a problem.

what about CART service?

what's that?

CART = Communication Access Realtime Translation

it's like closed captioning. the stenographer types out what people are saying and you read it from laptop.

huzzzahhh...reallllllly? That sounds spectacular. Thanks for the tip :)

I use CC all the time for TV and get annoyed when Netflix doesn't send discs or provide CC on their net-based shows. Supposed to be entertaining...

I'll do this part on my own...Is it common or the service used/provided like a ASL translator?

huzzzahhh...reallllllly? That sounds spectacular. Thanks for the tip :)

I use CC all the time for TV and get annoyed when Netflix doesn't send discs or provide CC on their net-based shows. Supposed to be entertaining...

I'll do this part on my own...Is it common or the service used/provided like a ASL translator?

common? I think so. As long as you're in metropolitan area, it's easy for them to find CART service for you.

What I am really looking for are recorded audio files or written transcripts being available without much interruption to the class. note-takers are somewhat helpful, but some of my undergrads note-takers weren't as helpful because some had some funky short-hand styles that were hard to understand. ...thinking...I could probably just set up a personal recording system out of a laptop and just do it that way or old-school tape recorder...and class sizes are typically small, so it may not be as much a problem.

those methods are notoriously unreliable and difficult. IMO - I believe you will not get far with these kind of accommodations. You'll definitely benefit a lot from CART service since you'll be able to read what people are saying - word by word.

and you can review transcriptions at home. they usually email a copy to you.

It's hard to get in, for an out-of-state student, but University of Texas at Austin is well known for its law school and being deaf-friendly. Good Luck...We need deaf lawyers.

Excellent videos, and I think I will be more active about the use of CART services before I apply. Thanks for the suggestion, because I think that'll make a big difference.

Texas, interesting. I'll have to check them out.

Do you mean lawyers who are deaf, and/or lawyers that counsel people who are deaf?

And there's already a handful of deaf lawyers practicing today....

Get into a 'Top 20' law school if you can, preferably a state-supported school in the state you live in. Otherwise, the glut of recent law school graduates will outcompete you in the job market.

I was a young kid and I saw there are two deaf girls enrolled in the law school from the University of California, Los Angeles. I am not quite sure if you want to apply or not there.

It doesn't matter how friendly, it just normal when they're awkward with deaf and figure to deal with it on provide an interpreter and instructor also take deal in new experience level. Just few of them had deal with deaf before. So far, I only met 2 deaf who are lawyers.

CART is also great because you can SAVE all the files - ie a typed out verbatim copy of the entire class ... this is very helpful for studying and is "built in notes" .

I'd recommend it for your specific studies (200% over a notetaker, voice recording etc).

Of course if you WANT, you can also voice-record the entire class as well ( for an additional reference, in case of a CART mistake/discrepancy etc )

I see you live in Northern CA. My friend is HOH, and just graduated last year. He used CART. The law school in San Diego is called the Thomas Jefferson School of Law.

CART is also great because you can SAVE all the files - ie a typed out verbatim copy of the entire class ... this is very helpful for studying and is "built in notes" .

I'd recommend it for your specific studies (200% over a notetaker, voice recording etc).

Of course if you WANT, you can also voice-record the entire class as well ( for an additional reference, in case of a CART mistake/discrepancy etc )

If there is ever a mistake in your class notes it should be reported to the CART writer as soon as possible. All CART writers strive to have 100% accurate notes. I have even gone so far as to email a professor with a question when what I had didn't seem to be right. The professor had mis-spoken in class and corrected herself to all the students after my email. I spend lots of time preparing for classes, so that I know what is going to be said and so that what comes up on my computer screen is readable for the student I am with.

Craig, if you enroll in a college and request CART, as it is really the best option for you, your school must provide it. If you attend a school that is in a small town and doesn't have access to a local CART writer, there are companies that provide CART through phone connections.

It doesn't matter where you are in the country, CART is available for you. If your school makes noise about the cost, remind them that they will have to have you re-attend any class that you fail and they will incur more costs.

Back