Deaf for AG Bell

Status
Not open for further replies.
AGBell Association FOR the Deaf?

Should be AGBell Association for the Oral Deaf so nobody can get confused.

What you just stated. It is really sad. The signing deaf could benefit as well. Talk about audism.

I don't see it that way. It's an eligibility requirement like all scholarships require if they want to get their hands on some free money.

That organization has so much money but at the deaf program where I work at, we dont see a cent of it because we are not a strong oral-only program. It is sickening. That's another reason why I despite it.

Shel, on topic related to that, I don't have all my facts yet, but it seems TLC just got turned down for a major grant for a joint project with BU on ASL/reading linkages from a government agency because they don't fund bi-bi programs, only oral. I immediately asked the guy signing this to the group if he was referring to an AGBell grant, but he emphasized that it's a govt agency making this distinction! I'll be letter-writing and agitating as soon as I get the gory details.

Shel, on topic related to that, I don't have all my facts yet, but it seems TLC just got turned down for a major grant for a joint project with BU on ASL/reading linkages from a government agency because they don't fund bi-bi programs, only oral. I immediately asked the guy signing this to the group if he was referring to an AGBell grant, but he emphasized that it's a govt agency making this distinction! I'll be letter-writing and agitating as soon as I get the gory details.

Wow, a major grant? That's a shame because the students would greatly benefit from it.

They who?

I don't see any of them mentioned by name and I know of only one deaf (possible) AG member around here.

No, I didn't say anyone was naming names: a profile was being laid out, a picture was being painted of who belongs to AGBell, and not in flattering terms, including the red flag "audist".

the govt agency that provides his grant. I don't have more details than that though, so can't yet take action.

If it is a govt agency, then that's frightening because the govt is supposed to be nuetral.

No, I didn't say anyone was naming names: a profile was being laid out, a picture was being painted of who belongs to AGBell, and not in flattering terms, including the red flag "audist".

Well, AGBell IS audist.

Good for you. Want another letter to add to the protest, let me know!

If it is a govt agency, then that's frightening because the govt is supposed to be nuetral.

Absolutely. And I know that some of the bi-bi charter schools cropping up have gotten federal grant money to get started. I'm anxious for more details on this one.

It's surprising that of the handful of ADers I've met in RL, 3 are AGBell members, esp. given how taboo that membership apparently is.
As i said above, there are prolly a lot of kids who went to CID, Clarke or St. Joseph's who feel a sense of kinship to the organization, even though they may sign. They may feel like they do about Clarke School....."like the school but hate their philsophopy"
Grendel, are you a member of Hands and Voices?

As i said above, there are prolly a lot of kids who went to CID, Clarke or St. Joseph's who feel a sense of kinship to the organization, even though they may sign. They may feel like they do about Clarke School....."like the school but hate their philsophopy"

I am! I wish we had a chapter he in MA - want to start one up together?

Nod. I'm much the same away about the oral that I was in.

H & V is one of the best organizations around! Grendel, do you know Karen Putz? She's a great gal to get in contact with.

A Letter from our Past-Chairperson
“Why do you want to start a state chapter of Hands & Voices?”The director of an agency serving deaf and hard of hearing individuals posted this question to me when I approached them about starting up Hands & Voices in Illinois. The first thought that came to my mind was, “It’s a gut feeling.” “Well,” came the reply, “We’re going to need more than a gut feeling as a reason for starting up a state chapter.”Ever since I first laid eyes on the Hands & Voices website, that “gut feeling” has not subsided. If anything, it has grown in intensity day by day. When my oldest son was diagnosed at the age of two, I figured it would be relatively easy to find my way around the “system.” After all, I majored in Deafness Rehabilitation Counseling. Surely I knew what I was doing.I found myself confused with the many agencies and acronyms that bombarded me that first year. CFC was the agency that would provide speech services. DSCC was the agency for assistance with hearing aids. DWC was the agency overseeing the transitioning to school. It certainly didn’t help matters when familiar agencies or organizations changed their name but still went by their old acronyms. The amount of information was never ending. We live with an alphabet soup of agencies and organizations all set to take care of various issues relating to deaf and hard-of-hearing persons. For the parent of a baby with a hearing loss, there is often no other parent to turn to for support immediately after diagnosis.I found my greatest comfort and support from other parents. Some of them I found through the various agencies, others I found by chance. I met a mom at a local Taco Bell who became a close friend. Two that I met through a sign class went on to develop a playgroup that became a wonderful source of support and friendship. A baby that I taught sign to went on to become one of my son’s best friends.I believe strongly in the saying “What works for your child is what makes the choice right.” This is the motto of Hands & Voices. It is something that I have learned to embrace as I continue to meet families who have made a variety of choices for their deaf and hard-of-hearing children. I once thought that cueing was not a very useful tool. Along the way, I had the opportunity to become friends with a family who chose cueing over sign. I watched as their child blossomed with their choice. I once thought that implants were not a wise choice, I went on to meet a family who chose this for their child and their child reaps incredible benefit from their choice. I met a family who chose a Bi-Bi approach and the mom became an interpreter, and the beauty of ASL flows in their home. There are countless other families who have taught me the lesson of choice, and how important it is for families to have information that helps them make choices that are right for their child and their family.Which brings me to the reason why I want to see Hands & Voices in the state of Illinois. Wouldn’t it be great for every parent to have a wonderful resource of parents to turn to after their child was diagnosed with a hearing loss? Wouldn’t it be great for every parent to be able to find out about the plethora of choices without having to gather their information piecemeal? Wouldn’t it be great to have a comforting shoulder to cry on, someone to vent with, someone to laugh with? Wouldn’t it be great for parents to be able to find another soul who’s been there, done that?Maybe it really is more than a gut feeling after all.Karen Putz, Past-Chairperson
Illinois Families for Hands & Voices

Karen Putz « Illinois Hands & Voices

Good luck!

I don't personally know of any deaf people who openly support AG Bell. I know of about 3 people who follow the AG Bell sort of "lifestyle," I suppose, but that's it. The three of them have bluntly said they do not need ASL. Two are bilaterally implanted, the other just got her first one. All three only use speech, and nothing else.

Grendel, I thought MA already had a chapter? That would be super fun! One thing I would love to do, is try to create some sort of teen outreach. The thing is...it does seem like Hands and Voices and AG Bell have kind of "swept under the rug" the problems many oral only teens can go through. Like it's awesome there are kids who do well both socially and academicly orally in middle and high school.......but I would love to let dhh teens and parents of dhh teens know that going off to Deaf School for middle and high school can be a viable option. I really think there are still too many parents out there who think that Deaf Schools are just for voice off Deafies.....and I think too that a lot of parents would be surprised at how good some formal ed programs (eg formal programs and schools) can be......like no more dealign with CLUELESS teachers and admins who have no idea how to educate a dhh kid, beyond minimal accomondations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back