Deaf for AG Bell

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a valid question. Why would anybody want to reveal themselves in AD that they are members of AG Bell?

I think most people in here already know the answer.

Again, why wouldn't they, if they are proud of their convictions? Appears that they are trying to be subversive and hide something.:hmm: Trying to manipulate people into having a different perception of them, perhaps?

PFH, the last one I have from you is about a month old, but not on this topic :) I'm not being defensive. I'm trying to answer the questions put to me. ? I didn't think anyone would be surprised that I'm a member -- I mentioned it in the context of the Pepsico brouhaha. I'm also a member of NAD -- I'm already on the dark side given that Li has a CI :)

I joined everything and anything with Deaf or Hearing in its name that would provide me with info about deafness and language and educational options when I first realized Li was deaf. That's also how I came across AllDeaf.

Go back to what beowulf said. No need for the runaround.

You already know my stance.

Again, why wouldn't they, if they are proud of their convictions? Appears that they are trying to be subversive and hide something.:hmm: Trying to manipulate people into having a different perception of them, perhaps?

:hmm: good question.

The man that the name represented is someone that most of us dont respect and the history behind it. Nothing to do with the members themselves.

I understand that. I joined long before I knew anything about that. I think to the organization it's just a name, not some kind of idolatry or hero worship of one of the founders. I don't think Ford or Chevy drivers, people who use DuPont, Kellogg, JPMorgan, or Scott products know or think much about the politics or practices of the men who gave their names to the organizations. I like the access to new research the organization makes available, I like that they are pushing for greater accessibility and educational options my daughter will need, and I hope someday she gets a scholarship, bc college is ratcheting up to $100K, my sweet husband is a teacher, and you know how teachers rake in the big bucks :wave:.

I understand that. I joined long before I knew anything about that. I think to the organization it's just a name, not some kind of idolatry or hero worship of one of the founders. I don't think Ford or Chevy drivers, people who use DuPont, Kellogg, JPMorgan, or Scott products know or think much about the politics or practices of the men who gave their names to the organizations. I like the access to new research the organization makes available, I like that they are pushing for greater accessibility and educational options my daughter will need, and I hope someday she gets a scholarship, bc college is ratcheting up to $100K, my sweet husband is a teacher, and you know how teachers rake in the big bucks :wave:.

And I know a few deaf people who just uses AGBell for Scholarships.

You do realize don't you, that A.G. Bell scholarships are for oral students?

I think it's because there's a lot of negativity around AGBell on this forum (AGBad), and those who find some benefit to association with AGBell offline are uncomfortable with the gauntlet they'd likely have to run to justify their involvement, don't like the way some here seem to use it as a label that defines them, or they belong to several organizations and just don't think it's a big deal or something to call out.

You immediately began profiling the likely AGBell members at the outset. Perhaps some people don't want to be pigeonholed by your perception of who a typical AGBell member is.

What profile? I haven't seen any profile on possible deaf AGBell members around here.

You do realize don't you, that A.G. Bell scholarships are for oral students?

I've heard that's the case for the very young -- the scholarships provide tuition for attending oral schools, some are designated for AVT practitioners.

But, I thought that for college it was far broader -- it's not as though there are oral-only or AVT-based colleges for the deaf.

That organization has so much money but at the deaf program where I work at, we dont see a cent of it because we are not a strong oral-only program. It is sickening. That's another reason why I despite it.

I've heard that's the case for the very young -- the scholarships provide tuition for attending oral schools, some are designated for AVT practitioners.

But, I thought that for college it was far broader -- it's not as though there are oral-only or AVT-based colleges for the deaf.

Well, this is the issue. There are not oral only, per say, colleges for the deaf, but A.G. Bell ain't gonna give a scholarship to a signing kid for college. That would put a serious dent in their poster child campaign.

What profile? I haven't seen any profile on possible deaf AGBell members around here.

Some examples:
You know, I could probably make a pretty accurate guess of the number of AD members that are supportive of A.G. Bell policy.:lol: It would be small, but very predictable.

And those would be: CI using late deafened?

Late deafened doesn't only apply to adults.
I'll take that to be a "yes".;) No need to provide identifying information.
And of course, we can't forget our resident deaf audists.

The only members of AG Bell I've seen on AD are parents who raise CI borgs.

Well, this is the issue. There are not oral only, per say, colleges for the deaf, but A.G. Bell ain't gonna give a scholarship to a signing kid for college. That would put a serious dent in their poster child campaign.

I have witnessed that. Deaf signing kids get turned down for scholarships. Pathetic. They say they are for deaf children but apparently not for Deaf children so that organization practices discrimination. Unless someone knows that a signing Deaf child got a scholarship from them? Then, I will stand corrected but as far as I know, all that money is for oral deaf only.

I have witnessed that. Deaf signing kids get turned down for scholarships. Pathetic. They say they are for deaf children but apparently not for Deaf children so that organization practices discrimination. Unless someone knows that a signing Deaf child got a scholarship from them? Then, I will stand corrected but as far as I know, all that money is for oral deaf only.

Oh, yeah. I have too. I recommend my college age students apply for every deaf oriented scholarship available. Soon as A.G. Bad finds out they use sign in any way, app goes into file 13.

That's disturbing.

That's disturbing.

I know..I have always knew that for a long time but never mentioned it because many of us know how discriminating that organization is.

All scholarships practice discrimination when they have certain and strict requirements in order to qualify. It's their prerogative and choice on how their money is spent on helping defray the cost of college for eligible students.

All scholarships practice discrimination when they have certain and strict requirements in order to qualify. It's their prerogative and choice on how their money is spent on helping defray the cost of college for eligible students.

AGBell Association FOR the Deaf?

Should be AGBell Association for the Oral Deaf so nobody can get confused.

What you just stated. It is really sad. The signing deaf could benefit as well. Talk about audism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back