Deaf for AG Bell

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you read my post carefully, you would see it says "that starts". Seriously,

isn't provocation?

You've been in too many threads that have gotten closed as of late, and you were a willing participant in them :)

(And you even got your own thread deleted before it could turn into a fight.)

Not provocation. Just a feeling. Why would AG Bell members want to reveal themselves in here? I think we all know why.

Not provocation. Just a feeling. Why would AG Bell members want to reveal themselves in here? I think we all know why.

If they are proud of their convictions, why wouldn't they?

If they are proud of their convictions, why wouldn't they?

Save your breath, jillio. You are apparently on his ignore list. Dang, it sure takes guts to start a thread about someone on his ignore list, eh? :lol:

Save your breath, jillio. You are apparently on his ignore list. Dang, it sure takes guts to start a thread about someone on his ignore list, eh? :lol:

Well, I wouldn't exactly call it guts...:lol:

I know of at least 3 adult deaf AGBell members on AD -- none of them are parents of deaf kids with CIs -- and I think that number is surprising because I've actually only met a handful of AD members in real life.

Meeting AD members has what to do with you knowing people who are members of AgBell here?

Just curious.

Membership in AGBell doesn't usually come up as a topic of conversation here on AD. And when it does, people get very quiet if they are members. It comes up more easily in other contexts, at AGBell conferences, for example.

Alright............ My question is.. Why is it surprising because you've actually only met a handful of AD members in real life... I'm confused.

We have no problem with DEAF AG Bell members. :lol:
It is the attitude, always always the attitude we constantly squawk at.
As far as I am concerned, you are a "made" deafie member here in AD.

I also sent her PM on this subject, and I don't understand the defensiveness.

Alright............ My question is.. Why is it surprising because you've actually only met a handful of AD members in real life... I'm confused.

It's surprising that of the handful of ADers I've met in RL, 3 are AGBell members, esp. given how taboo that membership apparently is. Most Deaf I meet in the real world are not involved in either AD or AGBell, although quite a few have been active on Deafread.

It's surprising that of the handful of ADers I've met in RL, 3 are AGBell members, esp. given how taboo that membership apparently is. Most Deaf I meet in the real world are not involved in either AD or AGBell, although quite a few have been active on Deafread.

Ummm...think about why that may be.

Not being contentious...just saying, think about the reasons.

And if they dont want to reveal their membership, their business but you are the one who is questioning it. Nobody else is. Ironic, isnt it?

And if they dont want to reveal their membership, their business but you are the one who is questioning it. Nobody else is. Ironic, isnt it?

It's a valid question. Why would anybody want to reveal themselves in AD that they are members of AG Bell?

I think most people in here already know the answer.

Ummm...think about why that may be.

Not being contentious...just saying, think about the reasons.

I think it's because there's a lot of negativity around AGBell on this forum (AGBad), and those who find some benefit to association with AGBell offline are uncomfortable with the gauntlet they'd likely have to run to justify their involvement, don't like the way some here seem to use it as a label that defines them, or they belong to several organizations and just don't think it's a big deal or something to call out.

You immediately began profiling the likely AGBell members at the outset. Perhaps some people don't want to be pigeonholed by your perception of who a typical AGBell member is.

It's a valid question. Why would anybody want to reveal themselves in AD that they are members of AG Bell?

I think most people in here already know the answer.

And so what? Does it really matter? Why make it such a negative thing? If they dont want to reveal their membership, that's their right. Why are you making a big deal about it?

I think it's because there's a lot of negativity around AGBell on this forum (AGBad), and those who find some benefit to association with AGBell offline are uncomfortable with the gauntlet they'd likely have to run to justify their involvement, don't like the way some here seem to use it as a label that defines them, or they belong to several organizations and just don't think it's a big deal or something to call out.

You immediately began profiling the likely AGBell members at the outset. Perhaps some people don't want to be pigeonholed by your perception of who a typical AGBell member is.

The man that the name represented is someone that most of us dont respect and the history behind it. Nothing to do with the members themselves.

Agreeing here. :wave:

Yes, you. I am not surprised you forgot.

PFH, the last one I have from you is about a month old, but not on this topic :) I'm not being defensive. I'm trying to answer the questions put to me. ? I didn't think anyone would be surprised that I'm a member -- I mentioned it in the context of the Pepsico brouhaha. I'm also a member of NAD -- I'm already on the dark side given that Li has a CI :)

I joined everything and anything with Deaf or Hearing in its name that would provide me with info about deafness and language and educational options when I first realized Li was deaf. That's also how I came across AllDeaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back