Deaf film student finds her voice

Tikra

Reaction score
07:48 AM CDT on Friday, June 10, 2005

On Sunday, SMU graduate Kimby Caplan, 31, of Arlington will be presented with the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' 32nd annual Student Academy Award for her autobiographical documentary Listen: What it Means to be Deaf. The film chronicles her life in an auditory world, and is one of three to win the award out of a field of 65 contenders.

RICHARD MICHAEL PRUITT/DMN
SMU film graduate Kimby Caplan wrote and produced a documentary about being deaf. "To make a documentary about myself was extremely difficult," Caplan said.

"It was difficult to put my heart on my sleeve for others to see."

Apart from being the star of the film, Caplan, who was diagnosed deaf at the age of 1, also served as the executive producer, director, editor and writer. She even helped with the cinematography. With 120 hours of footage, Caplan said the finished 45-minute film took one and a half years to edit.

"The challenges were many," she said. "I had to be honest about myself and who I am and how I feel, while at the same time ordering Kodak film stock and learning how to use various film and digital video cameras."

Caplan said her own candor contributed to the success of the film, which served as her master's thesis.

"Where I succeeded in Listen was that I used myself, and by doing so, I was bound to express myself as I truly am – a very humorous, tongue in cheek, poetic sort."

Caplan, who has learned to speak, said SMU has stood behind her during the whole process.

"SMU did everything to ensure that I had the equipment, especially the editing. They gave me extra time during holidays and summers," she said. "I will always try to share with others just how special the university made me feel. I told them this film was special and they, as much, if not more, than anyone else, listened."

Caplan said one of the most rewarding aspects of the film was that it provided a good example for others dealing with hearing disabilities.

"[The hearing impaired] need role models who are not afraid to share their voices, muddy though they may sound at times. They need role models who can laugh when they misunderstand what is said," she said. "They need examples of how we are so much more than our disabilities."

The awards ceremony will be held at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills.

If you want see link go to ->http://www.quickdfw.com/poplife/stories/DN-pop--kimby_10ick.ART.Dallas.Edition1.132096447.html

Back