Deaf family

VOTEEEEEq

• Yes I have deaf relatives.

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • No I don't have deaf relaves.

Votes: 38 64.4%

• Total voters
Oh, my father has hearing problem since he was in his early 30s (right before my brother was born) and he refused hearing aids because they would not work good for him. His hearing problem is pretty complicated. I do not know if my father does count for deafness in the family. Disowned brother is 1/4 deaf. He is big denial about it..'cause his loyal "Mein Kampf" said so.

your uncle is your dad's brother?

To answer your question, my sister is the only one in our family who was born deaf and is the only one who is deaf or HOH. She has what is termed as a profound "hearing loss" by her doctor. She wears hearing aids, learned to read lips exceptionally well, was mainstreamed, has her Master's and is now working as a Software Engineer. She knows some signs, but would like to learn more ASL. She doesn't have a lot of free time so finding the time to take a class has been difficult.

I have tinnitus which royally messes up my hearing tests, but once they adjust the tones so that they beep multiple times rather than just the one long tone, the test is basically fine. I am learning ASL, now. I have always wanted to learn and find it to be beautiful. :)

I'm also fairly sure my dad's just about HOH by now, after years and years of BLASTING music. And my grandpa (my dad's father) has a high-frequency loss, just old age stuff. He wears hearing aids but he doesn't always like them.

An old relative had bad hearing the last ~5 years of her life. That was hard for her.

I have a distant relative who developed a hearing loss due to music (he was a drummer, I think). It was self-inflicted but not on purpose of course. I have not met in him for many years. I will try to do that.

someone said deaf families are rare. Here in MD, it is not rare.

Vongarel, Perry, Bonyham , and Polzin families are huge huge deaf families around here.

Well - I was the first, but now my son is as well. I voted wrong. I was the first.

Well - I was the first, but now my son is as well. I voted wrong. I was the first.

Thats ok.

I was born deaf alone and still to the day. Ihave 4 siblings, and many cousins. Most of them have hearing babies(and my second cousins ) so far. Interesting!

Both of my sons are deaf both my girls are hearing. Have no idea where the gene came from but they tell me it has to be genetic so I go with it :)

We choose asl.

My great great uncle, my great aunt, my uncle and me. All HoH or deaf since childhood.

I would love to know of any deaf ancestors before 1881, but that's as far back as I've been able to research our family history.

Back