Deaf Family

I'm the only deaf person in my family.

I come from a deaf family... Grandma/Grandpa (both IowaSD graduates) Dad, Uncle, Grandpa also had 2 other kids thru his 2nd marriage, one is HOH the other is deaf (my Aunt and Uncle) then there's me. Supposedly Im the 4th generation, (i know it doesnt look it) but my great grandma's mom or dad was deaf, so I've heard. Although my mom is hearing, my dad remarried when i was little to s deaf lady, so i tell people my mom and dad are deaf and they go :shock: ha :)

(my birth mom's whole family is hearing but she can sign.. and my sister is hearing too.)

I have a 7 month old that was born deaf and my dad is deaf in one ear and I also have 2 other family memebers that are also deaf.

I'm Third Generation, myself and 2 sisters (no brothers) and both my parents are Deaf.

As well, my father's parents and their other 2 sons (no daughters) are Deaf. Aunties and Uncles also.

This continues to both my father's 2 brothers and their wives and children are Deaf.

As for my mother side, she only had one brother out of 7 children whom are Deaf.

I yet to count how many Deaf in our families, our family tree are not fully completed.

Past generation in my families are all Deaf, surprising this stops at my cousins and my older sister's children whom are all hearing... this may due to marry their husbands/wives whom are hearing.

But I continue to hold tradition, marry to Deaf husband who are the Fifth generation. His families are one of the largest Deaf families in Australia as far as research says.

And I am now 6 months pregnant... with me being Third Generation and my husband's Fifth Generation... a BIG question what of my child when it borns in first week of May, 2005.

I will let you know when I find out. We, all families, have strong believe that my child will Deaf. This I look forward to hold generation but all the same, healthy baby comes first, doesn't matter whether Deaf or hearing.

I am only deaf in my family...unless you count my grandfather's brother became deaf at 14 due to mengtsis (Sp?)...nothing to do with my deafness....my hubby is only deaf in his family also. we have two boys. none of them are deaf....we just did research on my hubby's family in 1600 to 1700s...found out there are deaf relatives....lived by Martha Vineyard...need to go deeper and get info from Martha Vineyard..

Funny, I was growing up with a childhood friend who shared same last name with me,,,same class, same grade....people thought we were fraternal sisters...or cousins.. nothing...now we are older and assuming we could be distant cousins...need to do family research...it is impossible to do it when you have hands full w kids.

About my family

Hi
Both my parents are deaf, fully deaf. My sister and I can hear.
Tara

Back