Deaf event etiquette

Dolores

Reaction score
I have a question for the deaf members of the community. I am very interested in going to some of the deaf events in my area but i am SUPER scared. I dont want to look like a tourist in a foriegn land, but i know for certain i will.

My question is, for those of you that frequent these events, what is some advice you have for hearing guests learning sign language? Are there are huge no-nos? Anything i should bring or prepare for? Ive already been told pen and paper is a must, which i get. Anything else? I dont want to intrude, do people get annoyed when a hearing person crashes the party? Are there certain events i should start out with as opposed to others? Would it be ok to bring a friend, or a better idea to go alone?

Some of the events in my area are bingo, coffee, pizza parties, and juice bar meet and greets. Any advice you have helps!

I have a question for the deaf members of the community. I am very interested in going to some of the deaf events in my area but i am SUPER scared. I dont want to look like a tourist in a foriegn land, but i know for certain i will.

My question is, for those of you that frequent these events, what is some advice you have for hearing guests learning sign language? Are there are huge no-nos? Anything i should bring or prepare for? Ive already been told pen and paper is a must, which i get. Anything else? I dont want to intrude, do people get annoyed when a hearing person crashes the party? Are there certain events i should start out with as opposed to others? Would it be ok to bring a friend, or a better idea to go alone?

Some of the events in my area are bingo, coffee, pizza parties, and juice bar meet and greets. Any advice you have helps!
But, you are a "tourist in a foreign land".. at least for now, so try not to be scared. Just be yourself and don't be afraid if someone corrects your signing - which will eventually happen. When I got into ASL, I went into it as if I were a student going to school knowing that the teacher may correct me now and then. Just be polite and soak up as much knowledge as you can. Keep in mind that the rules for eavesdropping apply in ASL as well - a definite no-no. And, always be sure to thank those who correct you or teach you new signs. You're not just learning sign language, you're learning about an entire culture.

But, you are a "tourist in a foreign land".. at least for now, so try not to be scared. Just be yourself and don't be afraid if someone corrects your signing - which will eventually happen. When I got into ASL, I went into it as if I were a student going to school knowing that the teacher may correct me now and then. Just be polite and soak up as much knowledge as you can. Keep in mind that the rules for eavesdropping apply in ASL as well - a definite no-no. And, always be sure to thank those who correct you or teach you new signs. You're not just learning sign language, you're learning about an entire culture.
I know no matter what im not going to belong on my first day. Im not really afraid of being corrected, im more afraid of not being welcome. Not saying i think deaf people are mean but if everyone is deaf and im the only hearing person i dont want them to look at me like "who invited you?" You know? I want to be as respectful and polite as i can.

Back